question regarding internet speeds

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
holitec

question regarding internet speeds

Post by holitec »

Hi All,

I have a question regarding internet speeds. I am considering providing 50 and 100Mbit connections, although I have 100Mbit at home, I do not really use it to its full extent. It is great for downloading updates and new software.

Is it really worth me upgrading all my nodes to provide this, or are 10/20Mbit connections ok for normal use?

I know that tv streaming really needs 6+ these days, but is there really a need for this?

Kind regards,

Digby
Jimgward

Re: question regarding internet speeds

Post by Jimgward »

Digby, I went from 20 (really about 13) on BT copper, to Fibre and 53Mb/s-8Mb/s actual recently (UK)

Overall, little daily difference akthough I am a heavy user of constant backups to cloud services and transferring large documents to people.

TV streaming is more reliant now on Latency and reliabilitY of connection that a worry over speed, as Cy†a, for example, offers 8, 10 and more which is suffucient.
holitec

Post by holitec »

Thanks Jim,

So upload for cloud services and sending emails, latency and reliability is more important.

Thanks for the input, I will take this onboard!

regards

Digby
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

From what I have read on forums etc, people's biggest beef seems to be with upload speed. Don't get it myself, but then again, I don't rely on cloud backups.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We just have around 7mbps. We seem to manage OK with that. More would be better, but I don't see the need for 50 or 100..
Trev..
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

holitec wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:12 pm Thanks Jim,

So upload for cloud services and sending emails, latency and reliability is more important.

Thanks for the input, I will take this onboard!

regards

Digby
Sorry, I meant overall, for all responsiveness in internet.,... whether IPTV or other uses...