Did any of you do this. I did talc on the floor.

Got something to share that isn't strictly related to Cyprus? Post it here.
STELIOSBWFC

Did any of you do this. I did talc on the floor.

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

St Georges Hall as well in Blackburn.
William Morris

Re: Did any of you do this. I did talc on the floor.

Post by William Morris »

No. I did it when it was original back in the 60s. All the clubs in London played soul and r&b and tamla. 1963 onwards. We even had some of the original stars come over. Otis Redding, Same and Dave, Booker T.

Clubs like the Pink Flamingo with Georgie Fame, the Marquee in Wardour Street with Long John Baldry.

We were called Mods then.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

They still do it!
Happens every so often also at our local working men's club here in our little tin pot village too, when we have a Northern Soul night.
It's still very big in Blackpool. There are loads of "Northern" nights held at the Tower Ballroom.
One very good thing about our return to the UK after 12yrs in the sun there in Cyprus :-)
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

William Morris wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:17 am No. I did it when it was original back in the 60s. All the clubs in London played soul and r&b and tamla. 1963 onwards. We even had some of the original stars come over. Otis Redding, Same and Dave, Booker T.

Clubs like the Pink Flamingo with Georgie Fame, the Marquee in Wardour Street with Long John Baldry.

We were called Mods then.
That wasn't Northern Soul I'm afraid but pre NS!

Shane
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

It was not PRE NS it was the original.

Northern Sole is POST MOD.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

It may have been the original – Soul – Southern Soul and R&B but not the original Northern Soul as this kicked off in late 1969 early 1970 and is a totally different sound, feel and rhythm which was carried through in the same sort of format by many dedicated artists and bands and still has a massive following today.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

And honestly, as long as you had / are having fun, who cares?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

71 Trans Am wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:03 pm It may have been the original – Soul – Southern Soul and R&B but not the original Northern Soul as this kicked off in late 1969 early 1970 and is a totally different sound, feel and rhythm which was carried through in the same sort of format by many dedicated artists and bands and still has a massive following today.
May I refer to this article .....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_soul

In the article is says that the Twisted Wheel started as early as 1963. The folk from northern parts came to London in search of old second hand records from early 60s. The original import of such records came in through the Liverpool and London docks as early as 58, 59. Many travelling football supporters would meet up and swap vinyls. These are the same records that were being swapped in the later 60s. I had a collection of several thousand 45 rpm singles, most with the center missing where they had come out of juke boxes in America.

The later 60s soul revival grew out of the early 60s mod movement. The dance moves may have been different, refer to Quadraphenia for some mod dancing, but the music was exactly the same. Same musicians, same artists, same everything.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I rest my case as the opening line of your article say’s it all –

Northern soul is a music and dance movement that emerged in Northern England in the late 1960s -- 1969 to be precise.
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

Northern soul is a music and dance movement that emerged in Northern England in the late 1960s from the British mod scene, based on a particular style of black American soul music, especially in the mid-1960s, with a heavy beat and fast tempo.[1][2]

That is the whole statement.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

in my loft at home on Yellow vinyl. Think SKA and Northern soul are a mix from afro American roots Motown born. Mods nope different beat different culture SKA maybe.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

http://www.itsamodthing.com/blog/northe ... mod-scene/ Mr Morris is Correct. SKA as well. Well done for providing the correct information.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

Well pointed out Wilhelm. And only joking.
STELIOSBWFC

Post by STELIOSBWFC »

William Morris

Post by William Morris »

Ska and blue beat came out of Brick Lane, East London where the Jamaican immigrants had settled. They got records imported via London docks as well. Coincidence, just happened at exactly the same time as the American imports. So ska and blue beat also got imbedded in the Mod culture. Again, the mod revival in the 70s led on to Two Tone and band like Madness, The Beat and The specials.

As a side issue ..........

There is a guy in Paphos who has imported he's original Vespa scooter. Complete with lights and mirrors and chrome. Totally restored. Look out for him.