Good News for Israel

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
exodus

Good News for Israel

Post by exodus »

In the UN vote following USA's decision to move their embassy in Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, the Capital of Israel, 35 Countries abstained and 7 voted in favour. 128 voted against, the move.
Of those 7 not all have Embassies in Israel but one, Guatemala, does and has announced over Christmas they will also be moving it from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.
Amos.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Good News for Israel

Post by Dominic »

Bad news for the peace process.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
exodus

Post by exodus »

Dominic wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:30 am Bad news for the peace process.
Why would it affect the peace process? In any case what peace process?
Until the Leadership of the Palestinian Authority do the necessary and purge themselves of the terrorists within their territory there won't be a peace process/2-State settlement. They attack my country daily - would YOU talk to terrorists if they were attacking YOUR country every day??
It is up to them, not Israel, USA, Guatemala, or anyone else.
IMO
Amos.
P.S. Just announced on BBC World News that Honduras is expected to follow suit and move their embassy from Tel Aviv to the Capital Jerusalem. More good news for Israel.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Countries blackmailed by the USA into doing their bidding is hardly good news for any country.
exodus

Post by exodus »

Dominic wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:49 pm Countries blackmailed by the USA into doing their bidding is hardly good news for any country.
I take it you can substantiate that statement, what is your source that Guatemala and Honduras (and the other 5) were "blackmailed" by the USA into doing anything they wouldn't have done anyway?
And of course the 128 countries that voted against the USA action were in no way blackmailed by anyone!
Just another "free" vote at the UN. Don't you just love democracy.
By the way, how about answering my question on whether if it was your country being attacked daily by terrorists if you would talk to them/negotiate with them?
I doubt you would. Look at London, when they had such attacks at Westminster etc they shot the terrorist/s.
When Israel does exactly the same you criticise them.
Amos.
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

I’m sorry Amos, whilst I can understand your predicament, ( I was born in Belfast ), I agree with Dominic on this one, it can only be a setback for any peace negotiations to start.
The 7 Pacific countries that voted for the US, are reliant on American funding / security, Guatemala purchases it’s arms from Israel & receives funding from America to improve security in it’s gang ridden territories.
If America can threaten their closest Western Allies, which they did, at the UN Security Council, then a small Pacific Island like Guatemala, is going to go into ‘ self preservation mode ‘ & back their benefactor...or else!, I would call that blackmail.

Michael Oren, Israel’s Deputy Minister for Diplomacy, called for Israel to cut it’s ties with the UN, & evict them from Governer’s House & give the historic site to a school, Hospital, or better still, the New US Embassy!....I think he needs an extra lesson or two on what Diplomacy actually is.

By the way, the Good Friday Agreement was ONLY made possible by the inclusion of terrorists from both sides.
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Israel doesn't just shoot terrorists though. What about the illegal settlements and the gunning down of protesters, and aid workers even?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Also, many of the stone and even knife attacks on Israeli troops, are in Palestinian Territories, occupied by Israel
Last edited by Jimgward on Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exodus

Post by exodus »

Dominic wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:03 pm Israel doesn't just shoot terrorists though. What about the illegal settlements and the gunning down of protesters, and aid workers even?
Probably been learning from the Cypriot hunters - if it moves shoot it.
Seriously though, I take it from your reply that in London it was OK to shoot the terrorists? Y/N?
Amos.
BTW - for other posters this has absolutely nothing to do with the Irish problems past or present. Totally different scenario.
P.S. The protesters you refer to were throwing petrol bombs at our police and army, are you suggesting they should not retaliate in order to protect themselves and the public?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

They should retaliate. In NI they used rubber bullets, water hoses and not live ammo.

However, even then, the idf would be allowed to execute a terrorist lying incapable on the ground.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I notice you said nothing about the illegal settlements and killing of aid workers.

But do I support the shooting of the TERRORISTS in London? If you are referring to the London Bridge ones, then yes, of course I do. Just as I support the shooting of anybody, anywhere, running around with a bomb vest, real or otherwise.

But I don't think people throwing petrol bombs should be shot dead. That is massive overkill. That is state terrorism.
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

Amos, you have misconstrued my meaning, I mentioned NI as an analogy about conflict, it is irrelevant how it starts, the important thing is how it ends. You asked if we would engage with terrorists to end hostilities, clearly we did, it worked.

Perhaps Israel & America could learn something from that process, instead of trying to bulldoze there way through UN protocol
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

Hudswell, I agree that PIRA were loosing support for the numerous atrocities they carried out, we can be thankful for that.
Like you, two of my brothers also carried out numerous tours in NI & lost comrades in the process....so you should understand better than most, at what cost peace.

I personally think, in such an unstable area, America’s action has intensified that instability, & consider their actions foolish in the extreme.

With Israel’s rigid stance, how can a peace process ever begin?... :?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:19 pm Palistine renounces violence....then it begins....
I’d expect you to only say that. Nothing about Israel perhaps extending an olive branch.

When Arafat was leader, a peace was about to be agreed, until Israel decided to stop it all. It’s in the history. It could have happened.

I have said numerous times, I deplore terrorism acts, but can sometimes understand the causes, especially if atrocities have been conducted against a community. The Bloody Sunday example shows how badly handled and wrongly executed violence from a state can accelerate terrorism.

Hudswell, as ex military, I know you will never take an anti state view. A bit like Thatcher who held Mandella as a terrorist and Pinochet as a friend.
Last edited by Jimgward on Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

Hudswell, how disappointing... :?
A one sided view has never resolved any conflict I can think of...ever.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell. That’s rubbish. You know that he British government were talking to the uvf, uda and ira many years before it was known. An olive branch was put out.

Israel doesn’t want peace. You know that as well.