Is the tide finally turning?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Poppy

Is the tide finally turning?

Post by Poppy »

I have just read that a latest Poll shows that were we to have another referendum then 57% would now back Leave and that 23% of remain voters have changed their minds -amazing! Now I am the first to moan about the accuracy of Polls but it certainly makes you think. Maybe the behaviour of the EU has played some part in this?
NB I have deliberately posted this in the moderates section so there can be debate without unpleasantness.
Jimgward

Re: Is the tide finally turning?

Post by Jimgward »

The is turning, but definitely not the way you’ve illustrated!

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/opinion-pol ... l-results/

Check this link to many polls and you’ll see that remain is slightly ahead of leave, with most people thinking we will be worse off....

If a re-run was made and the truth told on all sides, I’m 100% convinced that. A vote for Remain would be much higher than leave.

The strongest leave argument still seems to be based on immigration, rather than sovereignty and other issues, in many people’s eyes. If that was described to the populace, as it is. I.e. nobody is taking ‘your jobs’ and unemployment is lower than ever and jobs are there, if people really want them and there is heading towards us, serious shortages of the skills needed in an independent Britain.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I can't post the link but I believe that it was a northern poll. To be honest Jim I reckon every poll shows different and I have to admit to being surprised about remainers changing their minds but I suppose we will never know as I am confident there won't be another referendum!
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

One of the problems is that when Jim says " with most people thinking we will be worse off "
Who is he referring to.
There seem to be no clues as to whether he is referring to Cyprus or the UK. :-(
Trev..
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Trev,as the Polls are UK based then I think we must presume he is referring to the UK.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

On the link, there is a poll on that... in the UK.... so not my opinion....

Also, I think it’s pointless, as there won’t be another poll, unless everything breaks down and internal revolt forces May out and a complete change occurs.... which again, I dont see happening..... much as I don’t agree with leaving the EU
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Opinion polls always tend to be rubbish unless they tally with what you yourself believe. Then they seem eminently sensible. :)

There's no point having a referendum though, until the talks have progressed to such a point that the British Public actually know what they will be voting for. If at that point whoever is in power decides to have one, fair enough. However, I don't think they would be obliged to hold one.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
exodus

Post by exodus »

It seems to me that you Brits ought to get your act together, and act as ONE.
From the Cabinet, down to the public, and down to expats living in Cyprus, everyone seems to be arguing either pro-Brexit or anti-Brexit.
Excuse me as an ignorant outsider looking on - but didn't you have a referendum to decide that?
The EU seem scared of Brexit because they fear the breakup of the EU.
As per an earlier post of mine on another thread TIME TO WALK AWAY and ALL of you work to making a success of being outside of the EU!
In my country if we acted like you do I suspect we wouldn't exist anymore - the likes of Iran and Hesbollah would see to that.
Amos.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Amen Amos!

Jon.
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

@Amos, Jon

But human nature doesn't work like that. Surely you can't expect nearly 50% of the voters to suddenly change their mind?
exodus

Post by exodus »

Oxfordboy wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:40 am @Amos, Jon

But human nature doesn't work like that. Surely you can't expect nearly 50% of the voters to suddenly change their mind?
No, of course not. They will keep their views.
BUT they should accept they are a minority, and get together with the Brexiteers to forge a better life outside the EU.
The EU, meantime, are applying the "divide and rule" philosophy, and will continue to do so with success until you British get your act together.
This is my opinion.
Amos.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

And mine!

Shane
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Absolutely Amos - good post!
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

Well, no not a good post really. You still to be under the misapprehension that two disparate sets of people can suddenly work together for the winning side, and all I'm saying is that what you think people should do and what people are likely to do are quite different. This is my opinion.

Oh, and "You British" is who exactly? I've actually got no skin in the game with Brexit so I couldn't care less.
exodus

Post by exodus »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:03 pm
exodus wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:09 amThe EU seem scared of Brexit because they fear the breakup of the EU.

The EU scared of a break-up? I see no evidence of that, do you? The 27 remaining nations are now more united in the furtherance of their purpose and policies than I've seen in the the past. As an enterprise the EU is united and strong and the Euro as a currency is firm and resilient. It's the pound and, to a lesser extent, the dollar which are weak and vulnerable.

Surprise, surprise, only 1% of the UK population think Brexit negotiations are going well: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/three-quarter ... 42139.html

exodus wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:09 amIt seems to me that you Brits ought to get your act together, and act as ONE.
From the Cabinet, down to the public, and down to expats living in Cyprus, everyone seems to be arguing either pro-Brexit or anti-Brexit.
Excuse me as an ignorant outsider looking on - but didn't you have a referendum to decide that?

So exodus: if in a General Election 51% of the electorate vote Conservative and 49% Labour, are you suggesting that the 49% should get behind and endorse Conservative policies and values, just because the Conservatives won?
According to the first post it is now 57% in favour of Brexit. Hence the subject "The Tide Is Finally Turning".
I am sure some of that 57% will be Labour, some Conservative, some Other.
Amos.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Amos

The first post was the result of a poll. I posted links to numerous polls that said differently... ~As Dominic said, people gravitate towards opinions that match theirs and the OP chose that poll as she is in favour of Brexit.... even if the poll is an isolated view of a small number of people and many more polls say the opposite. Polls are never 100% accurate. accept that, but when almost all of them show the majority now in favour of remaining, the vast majority think we will be worse off, the vast majority think the negotiations are a disaster.... I'm afraid it looks more and more like the Brexit referendum was a poor reflection on overall opinion, once facts are known. It won't change, sadly, but it's such a pity that too many view the referendum as a once-only view, when little else in life is expected to run its course after bad news....
exodus

Post by exodus »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:31 pm Amos

The first post was the result of a poll. I posted links to numerous polls that said differently... ~As Dominic said, people gravitate towards opinions that match theirs and the OP chose that poll as she is in favour of Brexit.... even if the poll is an isolated view of a small number of people and many more polls say the opposite. Polls are never 100% accurate. accept that, but when almost all of them show the majority now in favour of remaining, the vast majority think we will be worse off, the vast majority think the negotiations are a disaster.... I'm afraid it looks more and more like the Brexit referendum was a poor reflection on overall opinion, once facts are known. It won't change, sadly, but it's such a pity that too many view the referendum as a once-only view, when little else in life is expected to run its course after bad news....
Well Jimgward I suspect the polls you posted were ones that reflected your opinions.
Polls can be misleading and often get it wrong.
The referendum was an accurate reflection at the time it was taken, and the UK Parliament had voted to respect the result (whichever way it went) and to act on it.
The UK Govt IS acting on it - I say that in my opinion the MPS and British public should unite and get behind that action.
As the EU is playing hardball for reasons well known and publicised in the media and on TV, I stick by my earlier posts that I think UK should walk away and on 29th March, 2019, just leave and do their own thing.
It is reported that the UK's Brexit secretary, Davies, is preparing an action plan to do just that.
At least one person in the UK Govt has some sense!
BTW - what bad news do you refer to? All I see in the International press is good news, UK economy doing well, employment up, etc.
Even the UK currency seems to be going "north" again.
Amos.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Can you provide links to this good news? It would be most welcome. With regards currency, I would hardly see a little over 1.12 as being something to celebrate.

Personally, I think a hard Brexit would be an unmitigated disaster. However, I don't think it will come to that. I think both sides will realise that compromise is much better for everyone. For the sake of the kids, if you like.
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

A perfect example of a biased right wing rant, & another reason why the opposing sides will never agree. :roll:
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Also a perfect example of a poster who can't be bothered to tell the difference between the Politics for Moderates section and the Politics section, which is where you will now find the post.