CTO restaurant at Aphrodites Rock

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

CTO restaurant at Aphrodites Rock

Post by Kili01 »

Firstly, I think that there are 2 eateries at Aphrodites Rock, the one close to the beach more like a snack bar and the other one in a nice looking building further up the hill looking down on the sea..

My question is has anyone actually had a meal at the restaurant up the hill there? We are trying to find a suitable place for a walking group to have lunch after finishing their walk in the area close to Aphrodites Rock.....
Hoping that someone may have done so and could post their experience on this page, if poss?

Many thanks.

Dee
2QuarterPints

Re: CTO restaurant at Aphrodites Rock

Post by 2QuarterPints »

It was a few years ago, so things may have improved, but we were not impressed to be served what were obviously processed and frozen vegetables.
chatsworth

Post by chatsworth »

we also had a meal there a couple of years ago and it was rubbish and so was the service
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

Not certain if it is suitable for a group situation and I can understand the previous comments , but if you are adventurous give it a go...please note. It is like a transport cafe..service not great..but it has stunning views and the best value for money fresh fish I have had. It caters for many local workers and is normally very difficult to get in over the weekend. Go during the week , Order the fish platter relax and enjoy a piece of local Cyprus.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:20 am Go there at your peril, Dee :shock:

There can be few restaurants with more "terrible" ratings than "excellent", but here is one: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restauran ... trict.html

The reviews were rubbish when I last checked them 8 years ago...and they remain rubbish to this day :lol:

Although it's a few kms down the road, you would be better off going to Gabriel's Taverna in Kouklia, which apart from being a family favourite, also has top notch TripAdvisor ratings: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... trict.html
In fairness, they aren't all rubbish. The most recent review was written by somebody who visited with a large group annually and had a bad experience in one visit. Presumably their previous experiences had been good, otherwise they wouldn't have returned.

The review prior to that wasn't a review of the restaurant, which they admit they didn't actually visit. It was a review of Aphrodite's Rock itself.

I'm not saying the joint is good. But some people clearly like it. Others don't.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I usually take reviews in Tripadviser with a pinch of salt, I was recently in Vienna, and a restaurant we fancied had terrible reviews, we still went in, the food was excellent and the miserable staff (according to the reviews) were some of the most pleasant staff ive ever come across.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just seen the latest reviews for this restaurant, 29 Excellent 29 Terrible...who to believe??, and the vast majority of people never give reviews, so you might have a thousand people who ate there and loved it, or hated it,
just a question, how did everyone get by, before Tripadviser etc was born...usually by recommendations by friends, Im a bit old school, I like to try things out for my self, not following the social media sheep.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:56 am ...By way of contrast, I have just found a nearby steak restaurant with 48 "Excellent" and 2 "Very Good" reviews and nothing below these categories. The experience was every bit as perfect as the reviews led me to believe.
Is that the same place you mentioned in 'Recommended Restaurants' back in January, Lloyd? If so, please update that thread with your perfect recent personal experience!

If it's a different restaurant, then it sounds from your post that a new recommendation is needed from you, so that others can try it, too.

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Princebytor

Post by Princebytor »

To much info Lloyd........ 'nearby steakhouse' - tracked it down on google and will give it a go when we are over in a few weeks.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Well so long as they are getting 100% bums on seats for their covers Mon-Sat, then that's their business plan sorted, followed by a well-earned Sunday rest to enjoy with the family!

Strange day for a popular restaurant to be closed, on a Sunday, though.. I bet they'd make more money on Sunday than Monday, for example? AL :?
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

Go to Max’s fish Taverna by the airport can’t remember the name but with the fabulous photos posted on here I doubt you can go wrong.......unless you don’t like fish
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Filiotis Fish Taverna, Timi Beach, Yioula. Hang a left at the sign on the PFO approach road, shortly after passing the military bit of PFO on your right. Just before the long sweeping right hand bend that takes you to PFO itself. AL :)
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Many thanks to everyone who has posted. I've looked at the Trip Advisor reviews which bear out what was said. Have now passed this info on to the person who asked.
Hopefully,he may decide to go to a taverna in Kouklia instead!

Dee
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

Hi Lloyd...I think their are many aspects to enjoying a memorable meal. Service...location...atmosphere etc! Gabriel’s is a good restaurant, but in my opinion there are many as good in the Paphos region...let alone the world. I actually prefer Thannsis Place in the same village...but hey we all have different tastes and experiences , that is why over 700 restaurants and bars make a living in the Paphos region.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I've tried both Thanasis Place and Gabriels. They are different in that Gabriel really tries to make you feel welcome and tries to please each person. He copes with good humour with our walking group all hungry and thirsty at the end of a pleasant walk arriving together! His food is good too.
Thanasis is a bigger taverna and can be very busy when service can be slow. Coming in a smallish group with friends is fine, but the arrival of our walking group one Tuesday evening in summer, although it was pre booked, caused a furore because we had a few extra who should have booked in advance, but had forgotten! Although the staff found an extra table to accomodate us all it was done with bad grace. This left a lasting impression. Incidentally, we walk in the Kouklia area from time to time and had always previously gone to Thanasis. Now we go to Gabriels.. Having said that the food at both Taverna's is fine.

Dee