Drinking on planes

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Drinking on planes

Post by WHL »

Got this on my facebook today, and I cant argue with it, thoughts?

Right I've got a rant if smoking and vaping is banned inside airports and on the plane how come drinking alcohol isn't?
I've seen more drunks,disruptive/abusive passengers on my travels but never an abusive smoker I say ban alcohol whilst travelling and I enjoy both.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Drinking on planes

Post by Dominic »

If you are pissed you might be obnoxious but you won't give anybody else cirrhosis of the liver. I would be more in favour of banning reclining seats.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Only had one bad experience with a drunk.. On a BA flight many years ago, the guy next to me was sozzled and the crew refused him any more drinks, so he wanted me to get them for him, I refused and he swore under his breath a few times, then he fell into a heavy sleep, only real problem I had was, what happens if in an emergency we had to get passed him as he had the end seat?.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Punish the minority, not everyone...
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

On a short haul, consumption of alcohol is not necessary.

I am sure that people can make it through 5 or 6 hours without a drink!!

On long haul, serve alcoholic beverages on the plane only.

In effect, close the bars at airports and stop selling "duty free".

I am sure that it will make the flying experience more enjoyable.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

I am wondering whether this is an issue outside of Britain (or UK based airlines) as well?
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

WHL wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:21 am Only had one bad experience with a drunk.. On a BA flight many years ago, the guy next to me was sozzled and the crew refused him any more drinks, so he wanted me to get them for him, I refused and he swore under his breath a few times, then he fell into a heavy sleep, only real problem I had was, what happens if in an emergency we had to get passed him as he had the end seat?.
Make sure you always book an aisle seat!

Shane
GreenArmy12

Post by GreenArmy12 »

Airports and Airlines make too much revenue from alcohol sales to stop it!
Tremigirl

Post by Tremigirl »

Ban Alcohol, smoking, and reclining seats that would make flying much nicer.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

William Morris wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:05 am On a short haul, consumption of alcohol is not necessary.

That doesn't make sense. If somebody needs a stiff drink before they dare to set foot on a plane, the length of the flight is irrelevent.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Tremigirl wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:21 pm Ban Alcohol, smoking, and reclining seats that would make flying much nicer.
In theory I would go along with that, as you've included reclining seats. However, if you banned all that, I would imagine the ticket price would have to increase substantially to accommodate the lost revenue of alcohol sales.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Ban people on flights, problem solved! :lol:
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

They used to, called them TOPs for Totally Obnoxious Persons .......... I worked with one!

Shane
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

After the smoking ban came in on most airlines, I remember a funny easyJet episode with Jeremy (that lurvely cabin attendant). The cigs / baccy trolley had just passed down the aisle. Jeremy responded to a passenger who had pushed the Cabin Attendant button...

Jeremy: "Yes Sir, how may I help you please?"

Passenger: "If you sell cigarettes on board, why aren't we allowed to smoke them?"

Jeremy: "Sir, Boots sell condoms, but you can't have sex in their store!"

Classic! Cheers- AL ;)
Gone but not forgotten...
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

Dominic wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:10 pm
William Morris wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:05 am On a short haul, consumption of alcohol is not necessary.

That doesn't make sense. If somebody needs a stiff drink before they dare to set foot on a plane, the length of the flight is irrelevent.
Because it is short haul flights that are getting the trouble. Groups of people going for Stag and Hen doos. For some reason they all need to get pissed before and during the flight. Just childish behavior.

On long haul, it is easier to police or enforce the consumption. A glass of wine with a meal is one thing but a single passenger ordering a number of drinks is a different issue.

IMO, the consumption of alcohol before or during a flight is not necessary. I would be quite happy with a total ban.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Cannot believe the number of times I've been at LTN or LGW at 6am awaiting an early morning flight to PFO, to see fellow passengers quaffing pints of ale, lager, or Guinness, like it's going out of fashion before they board...

I know your holiday starts at the airport. But do these folks normally start hitting the plonk that early in the morning, in their usual daily routine? I would suggest that NO, they do not!

UK airports are non-smoking these days. So why not make them non-alcohol too? They'll make up their lost profits from the silly prices charged in coffee shops, cafes, etc

Cheers- AL :?
Last edited by PaphosAL on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

A lot of people have a drink before the flight to calm their nerves. It is easy to tell the difference between that and the stag crowd though.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Anyone nervous about flying can always go to their GP beforehand and be prescribed 'calmers' for this worry (making you semi-dopey).

An infusion of stiff alcohol before a flight is not always the best path to tread...

And I'm sure that cabin crew instantly spot the Stag and Hen party passengers on board (spread around as they are) and closely monitor them! It's what they are trained to do! (Amongst many other things)

Cheers- AL :)
June

Post by June »

It's not something I fancy doing but I don't have an issue with people having a pint at silly 'o clock in airports, there is something almost timeless once you are through security. Suspended animation almost.
But that's people starting their hols early or having one to calm their nerves.
Why should they be penalised for the idiots that really should be sussed by airport staff prior to boarding?
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

I remember one flight on Cyprus from LGW to PFO, where I'd travelled from LTN down to LGW on National Express coach starting 1am...

Watched their incomimg land and OUCH! Bird strike, big last minute manouvre to land, then engineers up on stepladders peering into the port engine. Oh dear, long delay... CA kindly gave us a nice breakfast voucher to be going on with, which was nice...

As the the day wore on (and thank God that LGW had a smoking area at that time), it became obvious we still going nowhere. CA then decided to offload all our luggage (inc duty free) and coach us to a nearby Gatwick hotel overnight on their tab, including an evening meal. Couldn't grumble with that!

Our coach pick-up back to LGW was scheduled for 05:30 next morning, too early for a brekky at the hotel, note.. Off we were dropped, then later coached from LGW to LHR around the static M25 for a late night CA flight to PFO... CA kindly gave us food / drinks vouchers again to use at LHR, fair play!

During all of this exercise, there was one nice old guy I got talking to, who was probably drinking more than he should have been eating. I took special care of him as we finally boarded, following behind him up the front steps. Sure enough, cabin crew wanted to dump him. I politely intervened and explained our recent experience, and that the poor chap was totally harmless. I asked them to seat him next to me, and that I would look after him.

They agreed! He instantly fell asleep for the next 4½ hours, when I woke him up and helped him disembark. (No I didn't eat his meal as well, LOL!). Crew gave me a complimentary drink for my TLC, though, which gladdened my heart!

I had a car waiting for me at PFO, but he didn't. Dropped him off safely where he was booked to stay, up from the triangle, something like 6am, longest flight to Cyprus ever in my entire life!

Cheers- AL :)