Paying Cyprus Income Tax

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
geoffreys

Paying Cyprus Income Tax

Post by geoffreys »

This year (i.e. Tax Return for 2016) will be the first time since 2003 that I owe Cyprus income tax.
However since some of the income here is rent here I have to complete a tax return every year, they are in fact 4 years behind
but for the previous 7 years I have received an assessment letter stating no tax owed.
All my previous tax returns have been sent in by regular mail service.
So what happens THIS time? Do I just post it as before and wait 4 years for an assessment (i.e. confirmation) of what tax
I owe, OR do I need to go to the tax office and pay it?
Geoff.
Firefly

Re: Paying Cyprus Income Tax

Post by Firefly »

Ooh err, if you wait another four years, you might find yourself with one very hefty tax bill, if it was me I would pay it, depending on how much longer you are intending to stay in Cyprus. They still owe MOH over 400 Euros from 6 years ago, and having returned to the UK, not a snowballs chance of ever getting it.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

I don't know how easy it is for you to get to your local tax office Geoff but personally I would never trust the Cyprus post for tax returns. I once sent a VAT return by post and it was not received. Thereafter I always personally handed them in and got a stamp on a copy as proof. Most returns can now however submitted online if you register with Taxisnet.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Thanks for both replies.
Geoff.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Geoff
Just complete the return and pop into the tax office in Deryneia, first floor, and they will check your return, make any necessary calculations and you can pay any amount due there and then.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

bromerzz wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:03 am Geoff
Just complete the return and pop into the tax office in Deryneia, first floor, and they will check your return, make any necessary calculations and you can pay any amount due there and then.
Thanks Bromerzz.
Brill.
Geoff.