PM Rishi Sunak naughty

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

PM Rishi Sunak naughty

Post by Devil »

it was announced last night that Rishi Sunak has appealed to the House of Lords to follow the decision in the House of Commons, to allow flights to Rwanda. In my opinion, it is wrong for him to try to influence the voting in the House of Lords. I don't know the legality of it but I suggest that it is at least immoral to try and gainsay their Lordships, if not illegal.
Firefly

Re: PM Rishi Sunak naughty

Post by Firefly »

Desperate times, call for desperate measures Devil.

Our country is straining under the sheer numbers of illegal immigrants arriving here daily. They are being housed in hotels at a huge cost to the tax payer, and yet veterans are allowed to sleep rough, in freezing weather, in their mother country. Disgraceful.

The response from the government is long over due, to take action to prevent these illegal landings, if it takes the knowledge that to come here illegally, may well result in transportation to Rwanda, so be it. Rishi Sunak must find support to follow through to make it happen.

As for influencing the House of Lords, I do not think that an appeal from Sunak, will make one iota of difference to their decision.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:27 pm As for influencing the House of Lords, I do not think that an appeal from Sunak, will make one iota of difference to their decision.
maybe yes, maybe no, but, as a matter of principle, I think it is wrong to allow anyone from the House of Commons to try to influence anyone in the House of Lords. There should be complete and total independence between the two.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I was once told that, all you get for having principles, is a medal and an overdraft.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What on Earth is wrong with wanting to put forward your case to a group of people who can either support it or go against it? It isn't as if he is trying to impose a whip. I thought they were supposed to be debating chambers.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Dominic wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:08 am What on Earth is wrong with wanting to put forward your case to a group of people who can either support it or go against it? It isn't as if he is trying to impose a whip. I thought they were supposed to be debating chambers.
The House of Lords is a debating chamber, yes, but the Prime Minister is not a member and, in my opinion, should not have the right, as a commoner, to further his own ends within It.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

To be fair Devil, a lot of the members of the House of Lords, started off as commoners.

The idea of House of Lords, was initially just that, now however, you do not need a title to become a member of the House, a complete farce really, as I see it.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

as you say, a lot of the members of the Lords were members of the Commons. They are therefore politicians and are the most active members of the House of Lords. It is interesting that many of them In this category drop their partisanship and vote according to their conscience or their ex-constituents and not to a rigid party line.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil, I was referring to commoners, as in you or I.

Bishops and Archbishops for example. Started off as Joe Bloggs next door, now in the House of Lords, by right, ridiculous.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

sorry!
Last edited by Devil on Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

If Joe Bloggs is in the House of Lords because he is a bishop, good luck to him. Bishops are all well educated, by virtue of their job as well as their academic prowess and their contacts with all kinds of people, and I see no reason why they should not sit in the House of Lords. Please, may I respectfully suggest that you watch a political debate taking place in the Lords? Sometimes, they are at a higher intellectual level than in the Commons!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil, sorry, but I would rather watch grass grow.

As I see it, a man of God, should be promoting the Church, doing God's work in the community, preaching Christianity, not influencing the law of the land. I agree, that some may well have a higher intellectual level than those in the Commons, but that doesn't mean to say that they know, or appreciate, the feelings of the common man.

Also, I always find it odd that Bishops can make no secret of their political leanings, surely, they should not be political biased.
Les Bean

Post by Les Bean »

My nephew is a Bishop,and as far as I'm aware he only goes to the House when whatever is being debated is relative to his church activities.I don't know what his political leanings are.I do know he tries to make the world a better place.Im a devout atheist btw so dont have faith related observations
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I agree, you very rarely see bishops in the House of Lords except for debates on the church. I have never seen a bishop in a televised political debate. I think the last one that I have seen on TV was at the King's opening of Parliament. Unlike politicians, they don't hanker after the limelight.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

LB

What a coincidence, my nephew is also a Bishop, and is a member of the House of Lords.

I do know what his political leanings are, I have to say, that in that, we do not agree.

I am an agnostic, so I'll wait and see, but I have to say that Christianity should be a guide to life, whether or not there is one omnipotent being out there somewhere.