Further 66 traffic cameras due to come online

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Further 66 traffic cameras due to come online

Post by Paphos Life »

All traffic cameras currently installed have passed the piloting phase and are in full operation, while a second phase is underway that will see the installation of 66 additional cameras, head of the electromechanical services said on Tuesday. The initial installations were prioritised after police studies determined the location of...

Read the article and chat about it below...
ast

Re: Further 66 traffic cameras due to come online

Post by ast »

Two days ago I came down the hill at Chloraka turning right onto the coast road towards Paphos and a first for me I saw the mobile camera van in action opposite Aliceland restaurant, he had a little sign out about 50m down the road to warn drivers he was there.

Looking at the speed people were going i think he would of had a busy day. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It surprises me if people are still speeding after seeing the camera sign.. The van and the signs are having the desired effect. They are making people slow down .
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:50 pm It surprises me if people are still speeding after seeing the camera sign.. The van and the signs are having the desired effect. They are making people slow down .
Are you not assuming the drivers look to see where they're going and what's about them? A lot of them, especially those older than I am, drive in a fog. They may be able to see well enough to pass the driving test but that does not mean that they use their eyes for driving.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Surely there aren't that many drivers older than you Devil. :)
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

All over larnaca now, and as i stopped two cars in front of me jumped the red lights, with brand spanking new cameras staring right at them.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

The problem may arise when someone runs into the back of you because you have stopped immediately at a Red Light, and they were going to drive through
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:38 am The problem may arise when someone runs into the back of you because you have stopped immediately at a Red Light, and they were going to drive through
Chance you have to take Trev, unless you want a ticket, hopefully in time these idiots who jump lights, might get the message after having to pay large fines.
Paul

Post by Paul »

I worked with a Greek bloke who told me he stopped driving through red lights after his third crash!
:lol:
jeba

Post by jeba »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:50 pm It surprises me if people are still speeding after seeing the camera sign.. The van and the signs are having the desired effect. They are making people slow down .
At least many motorbikers don´t seem to be impressed. After all, the cameras won´t catch their number plates, which are at the back end only (and often enough not even visible there, because they´re mounted at such an angle that you need to lie on the ground to see them).
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:15 am
At least many motorbikers don´t seem to be impressed. After all, the cameras won´t catch their number plates, which are at the back end only (and often enough not even visible there, because they´re mounted at such an angle that you need to lie on the ground to see them).
These cameras are very good you will be suprised at the definition they show. I recently got fined in the UK, and I went on the government site to check the footage, crystal clear.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Well, it looks as if quite a few drivers will be receiving fines going by my experience driving around Paphos today - vehicle over the white line when the traffic lights were on red, sometimes by a small amount and others by much more!

Interesting that according to the article in the original post that 'Other fines, such as mobile phone use, seat belt use and helmet use while driving, are only issued on top of speeding, stop line or red light violations, when footage of the incident is examined, Marcou clarified'.

In that case would an additional fine be issued in the following scenario if not complied with:
ie that at least one hand must be seen by the camera to be on the steering wheel when stopped at the lights?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Its all very well fining drivers, but are people paying their fines?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:04 am Its all very well fining drivers, but are people paying their fines?
Next time you get a fine, don't pay and you will find out what happens,
ive had hairy arsed coppers turn up on my door step, when I forgot about a parking fine. Back in the day.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

WHL wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:14 pm
Kili01 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:04 am Its all very well fining drivers, but are people paying their fines?
Next time you get a fine, don't pay and you will find out what happens,
ive had hairy arsed coppers turn up on my door step, when I forgot about a parking fine. Back in the day.
Indeed, that happened to a close friend a few years ago. Had to go to court to settle.

Another method is when people show their passports when checking out of the Republic of Cyprus (for all kinds of wrongdoings).
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I was thinking about speeding fines issued remotely when motorists get caught by the new speed cameras on the highway. The first time Cyprus tried speed cameras, a substantial number of these fines were reported as not being paid!

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

I have been caught twice by the, speed cameras fitted in the mobile vans, both fines were sent to me and i paid both, we were talking to a waitress yesterday who told us she was caught speeding by one of the new static cameras in larnaca she got a 25e fine, don't listen to what people say, sooner or later tbe fine will catch up with you.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

WHL I am surprised that you have been caught (twice) by the mobile vans. I see them quite often in my travels in the Paphos Region, and there always seems to be a warning 'camera' sign before the van..
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:28 pm WHL I am surprised that you have been caught (twice) by the mobile vans. I see them quite often in my travels in the Paphos Region, and there always seems to be a warning 'camera' sign before the van..
This was when they first started and there were no warning signs back then, about a year ago or a bit more i think
WHL

Post by WHL »

Approaching the new traffic lights with cameras today in central Larnaca they turned amber then red, this didn't stop three cars in front of me going through, resulting in three camera flash lights going off, either these morons have more money then sense or they just like having their photo taken :D