Jihadists in Chlorakas

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
MikeTy

Jihadists in Chlorakas

Post by MikeTy »

My son brought this to my attention. He works as an Intelligence Analyst in the UK and has been asked to look at this and also a similar issue in Limassol.

https://cyprus-daily.news/jihadists-in- ... enews-7-9/
wantoosoon

Re: Jihadists in Chlorakas

Post by wantoosoon »

MikeTy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:04 pm My son brought this to my attention. He works as an Intelligence Analyst in the UK and has been asked to look at this and also a similar issue in Limassol.

https://cyprus-daily.news/jihadists-in- ... enews-7-9/
He can't be very good if he fell for obvious and amateurish propaganda from a known far-right provocateur. Not that your "intelligence analyst" son exists, of course.
MikeTy

Post by MikeTy »

He does exist and it is his job. He works for a Criminal Intelligence firm has been asked to investigate. What an incredibly daft thing to say.

But don’t worry ‘wantoosoon’ I won’t exist on this site any further.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

When your son has performed his investigations it would be interesting to hear what they are. After all, the best way to counter extremist provocation - be it far right or far left - is to prove their claims wrong, and you cannot do that without investigating them properly. If you just rely on a quick google you normally just end up repeating other peoples possible inaccurate and badly researched claims.

I can give an example of this. An email did the rounds warning of a fake HMRC letter doing the rounds, asking you to phone such and such a number if you have problems.

If you google that number, there are lots of sites telling you that it is a fake and to ignore it.

But it isn't a fake. The number is a legitimate one used by the HMRC, and that letter from the HMRC is a genuine one. They do send them out occasionally!

Unless you investigate properly though, you would not know this. So don't worry if somebody is critical of you or your son for doing such an investigation. They are merely showing their own ignorance.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
josef k

Post by josef k »

I have read the article in question. It is indeed based on the statements by a known far right supporter and, surprise surprise, fuels far right sentinent. The Cypriot government has stated there are no jihadists in Chloraka, and all but 2 of the residents of the complex in question were in Cyprus legally.
Let us remember, it was the Cypriot far right who attacked people, wrecked their shops, and damaged vehicles. It was not Syrians, a number of whom have been here for getting on for 20 years.

No doubt your son, therefore, won't need to spend much time on his investigation on behalf of the unamed criminal inteligence firm.
MikeTy

Post by MikeTy »

I hadn’t planned to comment further on this site but wanted to thank Dominic for his reply. Your conciliatory tone was appreciated.

Firstly I must advise that my headline was not meant to be sensationalist or scaremongering. Looking at it now I believe that I should have phrased it differently. Secondly, the link I added was, in my mind, adding credibility to what my son told me. He did not provide this to me. I have read, on this site, issues raised about Chlorakas and therefore the reason why I made the original post.

(Comments about my son and his firm removed). His firm is engaged by primarily Social Media firms but also by law enforcement. Most research takes place online. He is not permitted to tell me who has requested the intelligence on Chlorakas and nor would I ask him. He has also been asked to investigate the recent incident with the UN Peacekeepers.

On this occasion he advised me of his latest work given our affinity to Paphos. He knows Chlorakas well himself from our holidays. Having spoken to him today he has agreed to share with me what he can, when he can, but most of his material is not meant for the public domain.

Mike
Last edited by MikeTy on Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WHL

Post by WHL »

With respect do you think its a good idea to name your sons firm, and details of what he has said to you on a public forum, I don't think his employers or the people who commission them will be very happy.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Mike Ty seems to have added this info about his son and his work maybe because he thought that people living in Paphos might be interested. He probably didn't realise that there are certain contributors to this form who lie in wait for the uninitiated.
Why condemn him for this? Maybe its a good thing if unbiased people are investigating?

He also mentioned the incident on the border recently near Pyla, where some soldiers working with the UN peacekeepers were attacked. Not even suggesting that these incidents are in any way related, but the riots in Limassol also happened...

Its not as peaceful in the Republic as it should be, so every incident where violence and/ or rioting happens needs investigating,
Dee
MikeTy

Post by MikeTy »

Fair shout WHL although I did check and given the firms name is in the public domain I can advise it here.
That said your comments have made me think again, so will amend my previous post. It may not make sense to any future reading. Ultimately I was responding to the comments made within this thread.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Kili01
“He probably didn't realise that there are certain contributors to this form who lie in wait for the uninitiated”

You're wasted on here - You should be writing Cloak and Dagger Novels
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Yes, this site is full of armchair and I heard down the pub experts, including me of course
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

What was the straw that broke the camels back do you think?
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no