Is it really worth hosing the solar panels?

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kansas

Is it really worth hosing the solar panels?

Post by kansas »

We have a 5 kw system on our roof which produces far more power than we'll probably ever use even if running at 70% efficiency. Several folk we've spoken to have suggested that we should have them hosed off regularly.

Has anyone got advice to offer? Just for the record we don't have any bird poo on them since we had the mesh installed around the edges of the panels.

Thank you.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Is it really worth hosing the solar panels?

Post by cyprusmax47 »

If you are cleaning them the wrong way than you can do more harm than good.

A solar generator you only clean when the modules are cool, i.e. late in the evening or in the morning, before the sun gains strength. Otherwise the modules are too warm and the cleaning water leaves behind annoying stains on which dirt tends to collect. You should also avoid shocking modules that are streaming in the sun with cold water. The thermal stresses can destroy the glasses and the cells. Many solar modules have sensitive anti-reflective coatings on the surface, so they have to be cleaned with rain water or water from the air-cons and a soft sponge instead of a brush.

On the other hand, if there is easy access to the modules it is always worth to spend some minutes and have a look if they are not covered with anything and remove perhaps the layer of dust coming in from the Sahara many times in Cyprus.

Max
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

I don't think it's worth paying someone to clean them. The cost outways the payoff in terms of electric generated. We gently hose ours when it is cooler, in the late evening, if they are very dusty. Otherwise, a heavy downpour of clean rain will clean most of the dust off them. Here in the UK, our Solar Company has set up a cleaning service using very long poles and distilled water, which dries without leaving a residue. Once again, in my opinion, not worth the outlay unless the panels were very dirty and we have enough clean rain to keep the panels clean.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Many thanks for the replies. Fits in with our thinking.....
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yes Clean them!
I have a 3K system that put out around 2774 when clean.
I there is a covering of dust it drops to around 2500.
A mop and a bucket of water with some washing up liquid then hose the panels down.
If you can see dust on them then clean them!
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

If they are on the ground or vet easily accessible, yes. If they are difficult to get to or you need to pay someone more able to do it, complete waste of time and money.

I used to clean ours. But now just leave the rains to do the job in the winter time. The stats I have show such a consistent set of monthly production figures, covering both the times when I cleaned them and didn’t, and are so similar it’s not worth breaking my neck on the roof or wasting cash to pay someone braver than me. For example If someone were to charge you €15 once a month, that’s would equal the entire 2 month bill I’ve just received.

If easy to access, definitely go ahead, if not, life’s too short.

Ian
mark4007

Post by mark4007 »

kansas wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:19 am We have a 5 kw system on our roof which produces far more power than we'll probably ever use even if running at 70% efficiency. Several folk we've spoken to have suggested that we should have them hosed off regularly.

Has anyone got advice to offer? Just for the record we don't have any bird poo on them since we had the mesh installed around the edges of the panels.

Thank you.
If you are consistently running a surplus and you think that happy state will continue, then cleaning the modules will only increase that surplus..

if its easy for you to run a hose over them... then do so.. if not or you'd have to pay someone then probably no..