The Fences Have Gone At The Sea Front!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

The Fences Have Gone At The Sea Front!

Post by Dominic »

They're removed all the fencing at the Sea Front! You can now walk along it unfetered, but if you try to do so today you would do well to bring a brolly with you. I ventured out to film it...

Read the article and chat about it below...

stormy-seafront-scenes_masthead.jpg
stormy-seafront-scenes_masthead.jpg (99.59 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: The Fences Have Gone At The Sea Front!

Post by cyprusmax47 »

You just got the wrong timing. After 2 PM it was all sunny at the harbour. However you was lucky that it was only a little rain there, unlike my place which was hit 3 times by lightning inclusive power cut, 15 l/m2 rain in 1 hour and again heavy hail.

Beside other plants, these flowers did not like the hail and the cold temperature of 6c , midday, the coldest in many years living at this place....

Max
ast

Post by ast »

Can we presume the powers that be have decided the work on the seafront (Whatever is was) will now go ahead when the season ends ??, or maybe there is another plan.

Well it looks better now anyway. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Just wish there was a small wall along the seafront - handy to sit on and helps keep the sea in the sea rather than it trying to create a seabed on land during violent weather systems.
Yioula

Post by Yioula »

It’s looking very spacious now the fencing has been removed
The rain soon came down and people disappeared like magic to get some shelter
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

galexinda, couldn't agree with you more about the obvious need for a sea wall. But he who must be obeyed, doesn't like something which should be a practical necessity. Every time there is a storm-it leaves the cobbles along the sea front covered in mud, rocks and debris.which take several men, plus a tractor a few hours to clear up.. In fact the tractor which I saw being used looked very new so must have been bought with funds left over from one of the many 'improvements' taking place around Paphos."

Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:42 pm galexinda, couldn't agree with you more about the obvious need for a sea wall. But he who must be obeyed, doesn't like something which should be a practical necessity. Every time there is a storm-it leaves the cobbles along the sea front covered in mud, rocks and debris.which take several men, plus a tractor a few hours to clear up.. In fact the tractor which I saw being used looked very new so must have been bought with funds left over from one of the many 'improvements' taking place around Paphos."

Dee
Are you drunk? You just seem to be spouting bile for the sake of it now.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Dominic,
No, although you seem to instinctively criticise me for not loving every new 'improvement' in Paphos, I hope you recognise the importance of free speech! I know there are plenty of others who were living here before the previous mayor had the existing small sea wall (all along the harbour front) removed. He thought that the sight of the wall might put tourists off coming....
Funny that, because almost every harbour front, in Cyprus and throughout the UK and parts of Europe I have visited has a protective sea wall! People lean or sit on them during the summer. In winter these walls give protection from winter gales and crashing waves.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Free speech is alive and well. That is why I can call you a cantankerous old buzzard. Honestly, just about all you ever do is moan and make bitchy comments.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Not true! But I think that because of the attitude on here some folks will be reluctant to be shot down for expressing a different view..
I applaud the Mayor for the renovations to the exterior old stone walls of the harbour buildings, the new fenestration including new shutters, Looks very smart now. But at the same time why is he turning a blind eye to-the gradual destruction of the old stone walls of Paphos Castle, by the sea?
And whats the reason why more heavy brown rectangular iron frames have appeared on the harbour. They effectively ruin the view of the well renovated stone warehouse behind.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If he started on the castle you would moan that he hasn't finished the other projects yet.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

He could have saved money and only done any essential work on the walkway to Lighthouse Beach.
Repairing and repointing the castle walls should be priority. Failure to do this will before long lead to a ruin instead. 20 years ago there was a much smaller version of the castle close-to the harbour entrance which was in poor repair. Historically it probably protected the harbour entrance from attack. It is only a pile of stones now.
Dee
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

I could be wrong but i don't think that the Mayor or local government have any jurisdiction over the Castle/Fort - It comes under the brief of UNESCO and has enhanced protection as a world heritage structure and reading some of the various articles available on the internet some structures are allowed to decay but UNESCO have the final word on how much they can decay and when to step in and preserve - This article is probably one of the more informative ones available but i don't think you are going to find Joe Bloggs and his trowel and mortar up there anytime soon
https://erachair-dch.eu/portfolio/the-castle-of-paphos/
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Many thanks Trans Am for finding and reproducing this article which I found fascinating.I am a keen student of Archaeology, though at a very amateur level. But have previously been involved with visiting archaeologists, finding pot washers to assist on various digs in and around Paphos. Might be able to find out more about how the castle is administered by contacting the Dept of Antiquities
Thanks again..
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

71 Trans Am wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 7:51 pm I could be wrong but i don't think that the Mayor or local government have any jurisdiction over the Castle/Fort - It comes under the brief of UNESCO and has enhanced protection as a world heritage structure and reading some of the various articles available on the internet some structures are allowed to decay but UNESCO have the final word on how much they can decay and when to step in and preserve - This article is probably one of the more informative ones available but i don't think you are going to find Joe Bloggs and his trowel and mortar up there anytime soon
https://erachair-dch.eu/portfolio/the-castle-of-paphos/
Exactly.