Paying by card.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Tremigirl

Paying by card.

Post by Tremigirl »

Is it law here in Cyprus that all shops and restaurants etc must now have facilities to be able to pay by card.
trevnhil

Re: Paying by card.

Post by trevnhil »

I believe it is, but there are still places that prefer you to pay cash..
Trev..
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I believe there was a problem by getting the card reading machines from JCC.
Louise :)
WHL

Post by WHL »

Tremigirl wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:39 pm Is it law here in Cyprus that all shops and restaurants etc must now have facilities to be able to pay by card.
yes it is the law not only shops but doctors etc
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I wonder what the response would be if you tried to use your card at the General Hospital
6 euros to see a consultant, and 10 euros in A&E..
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Interesting that this is law as I've come across consultants in private hospitals who still ask for cash payment in their offices. Also various smaller shops who give excuses for not having a machine. Apparently, they are quite expensive for the shop keeper to have as one told me of various fees and charges to JCC . Is that so?
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:10 am I wonder what the response would be if you tried to use your card at the General Hospital
6 euros to see a consultant, and 10 euros in A&E..
I had to pay recently for a doctors report, at Larnaca general, and I paid by card.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:52 am Interesting that this is law as I've come across consultants in private hospitals who still ask for cash payment in their offices. Also various smaller shops who give excuses for not having a machine. Apparently, they are quite expensive for the shop keeper to have as one told me of various fees and charges to JCC . Is that so?
This is not correct, private doctors have to accept card payment, as do shops I was in retail for many years, and JCC charges were about half a percent or less. And I had four cash machines one for each shop.
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:41 pm
Kili01 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:52 am Interesting that this is law as I've come across consultants in private hospitals who still ask for cash payment in their offices. Also various smaller shops who give excuses for not having a machine. Apparently, they are quite expensive for the shop keeper to have as one told me of various fees and charges to JCC . Is that so?
This is not correct, private doctors have to accept card payment, as do shops I was in retail for many years, and JCC charges were about half a percent or less. And I had four cash machines one for each shop.
My daughter´s doctor doesn´t accept card payment as he says he has no card reading machine. One of my favourite restaurants does have a card reading machine, but quite often t seems to not be working.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:53 am
My daughter´s doctor doesn´t accept card payment as he says he has no card reading machine. One of my favourite restaurants does have a card reading machine, but quite often t seems to not be working.
Your doctor is required to have a card machine by law, you can draw your own conclusions why people prefer to be paid in cash ?
memory man

Post by memory man »

.... so what happens if you don't have cash with you and you only have a card?

will a card machine mysteriously appear from a drawer or under the counter? :o
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

WHL wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:37 pm
jeba wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:53 am

Your doctor is required to have a card machine by law, you can draw your own conclusions why people prefer to be paid in cash ?
With reference to the last sentence, one reason why some people (in this instance doctors) prefer to be paid cash is because they get the money straight away, rather than have to wait for the payment to be processed which may take a few weeks or even months if in the private health sector, especially if they are part of a team providing healthcare rather than an individual. No discount for cash and always a receipt so 'all above board'.
WHL

Post by WHL »

galexinda wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:23 pm
jeba wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:53 am My daughter´s doctor doesn´t accept card payment as he says he has no card reading machine. One of my favourite restaurants does have a card reading machine, but quite often t seems to not be working.
With reference to the last sentence, one reason why some people (in this instance doctors) prefer to be paid cash is because they get the money straight away, rather than have to wait for the payment to be processed which may take a few weeks or even months if in the private health sector, especially if they are part of a team providing healthcare rather than an individual. No discount for cash and always a receipt so 'all above board'.
When you get paid by card, the money is in your account the next day, not weeks or months, i had a cash machine for over thirty years so i know what I'm talking about.
Ps if the doctor is in a group , it wouldn't matter if he got cash, he wouldn't put it in his pocket, but give it to accounts.
ast

Post by ast »

Our business takes card and transactions taken before 6pm are in our accout before 2pm the next day. day. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Well, we now know more about the card system, so must draw our own conclusions as to why some businesses and individuals will only accept cash. I know of several presumably working on the' 'black'.
Which is a precarious way of doing business.

Dee
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Kili01 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:06 pm Well, we now know more about the card system, so must draw our own conclusions as to why some businesses and individuals will only accept cash. I know of several presumably working on the' 'black'.
Dee
I don't mind paying cash to small businesses, if I like a particular taverna or kiosk. I want them to survive for my convenience as well as theirs
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:27 pm
Kili01 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:06 pm Well, we now know more about the card system, so must draw our own conclusions as to why some businesses and individuals will only accept cash. I know of several presumably working on the' 'black'.
Dee
I don't mind paying cash to small businesses, if I like a particular taverna or kiosk. I want them to survive for my convenience as well as theirs
No one is stopping anyone from paying cash, the law says people who want to pay by card have to be given that option.
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

WHL wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:16 pm
galexinda wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:23 pm

When you get paid by card, the money is in your account the next day, not weeks or months, i had a cash machine for over thirty years so i know what I'm talking about.
Ps if the doctor is in a group , it wouldn't matter if he got cash, he wouldn't put it in his pocket, but give it to accounts.
When Doctors fees / surgeons fees form part of the total payment and the doctor is part of a group if the whole amount is paid by card (or even if the total amount was paid in cash) it would go via the group accounts system and it is here that there is a delay in paying the doctor / surgeon his fees (which can take several weeks). Therefore, by paying the doctor in cash his fees he then gets his payment straight away and the receipt is submitted as part of the total invoice.
WHL

Post by WHL »