Sky Multi Room

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Firefly

Sky Multi Room

Post by Firefly »

This is a long shot, but I wondered if there is a way to use sky in an other room without the £10.00 a month extra. We have moved into a house that must have had Sky Multi Room put in by the previous owner. There is a Sky TV point in each bedroom, but we only have Sky in our lounge. The dish has connections to each bedroom, as seen from the wiring coming from the dish. Can I use these Sky points for free, or will they have been disconnected by Sky does anyone know please ?

I can buy a Sky box and viewing card from ebay, but not worth it if it won't work.

Thanks

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
biGGaz

Re: Sky Multi Room

Post by biGGaz »

Jackie, I assume you are in the UK.
If you are receiving Sky tv in the lounge you should be able to receive Sky tv in the bedroom, unless the cables have been severed or they are not connected to the dish. Can you not try the tv and box in the bedroom to see if it works. If you can receive channels in the second location you are ready to go. If you buy a cheap second hand box you should be able to receive free view sat channels without a viewing card. You can use your main viewing card in both boxes but you will not receive premium channels on the second, if you have Sky + this should work also.

Hope this helps.

Gaz
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Hi Gaz

Thanks for the info, for various reasons it would be difficult for me to connect our box and leads upstairs, I did think of that. That said, the cables all seem to be intact, so I think I'll give it a go and buy a cheap box from Ebay. You have however answered my question, thank you.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Long shot for us living here Jackie, as Sky is no longer available, you could though use a Mag250 even in the UK and far less expensive than Sky, so you could have two units, just need an Ethernet connection.
Jim.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Hi Jim

Thanks for the info, never heard of Mag250, but will 'Google' it see what I can do. I have bought another Sky box and remote from Ebay, but will still see what your suggestion involves.

Thanks very much, hope you're keeping well.

Jackie
JimX

Post by JimX »

I bet Jackie 80% of use them here now.That good!🖒
Jim.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Hi Jim

Searched for mag250, which I take to be a dongle. I don't know if it will work from my Sky box though. Reports seem to be mixed.

Jackie
jen

Post by jen »

We have Sky in the lounge and can also watch it upstairs in the bedroom all with the help of the Magic Eye, are these not available in Cyprus:

https://accessories.sky.com/catalogue/p ... ky-tv-link
J B

Post by J B »

Firefly wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:11 pm Searched for mag250, which I take to be a dongle. I don't know if it will work from my Sky box though. Reports seem to be mixed.
Hi Jackie

Just to say that I know nothing about Sky TV, but I *think* that the MAG box (to which Jim refers) is, in layman's terms, a sort of 'stand alone' mini computer which connects to t'internet on one side and to your TV on t'other.

It has (I think) built in programs that allow you to watch TV via t'internet = no sky box/dish or any aerials needed.

HTH

:D
J B
JimX

Post by JimX »

JB is correct it is not a dongle but a streaming device that has just about everything you can get on any TV, it works in the UK as I have friends who do this, you do not need a satellite dish just an Ethernet connection and a reasonable broadband speed (4 megs min), you have to subscribe to a server and there are hundreds out there on the Interweb but I use two servers locally, once set up these will work in any country that has the internet access, for us on the island they are a boon because no UK TV readily available now Sky has departed, a good TV option for many users all over the world now.

Jackie you would not need a Sky box, these work on a stand alone basis.

There are other options of course that also use streaming TV where you can get totally free TV but these take a little time to understand and use on a daily basis, for most who live on Cy streaming TV is the way to go and many of us now are reliant on streaming TV, but there is no reason you cannot use these in the UK..

https://www.google.com.cy/search?q=MAG2 ... 26&bih=893

As you can see IPTV streaming devices are very small and unobtrusive. In the UK you will still need a broadcasting TV license to use of course.

Jim.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thanks so much guys for the replies, there are one or two PL members who know I'm useless at technology, I do try :lol:

Jackie
J B

Post by J B »

One more thought ... (as I said, I know nothing about Sky TV) .....

You could maybe consider a Now TV box.
They are owned by Sky and can be used a bit like a MAG box and you can get 'catch up' TV as well.
Not sure if you can get any Sky stuff as a current subscriber, or whether you have to subscribe again? :roll:
J B
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

J.B.

Thank you, every bit of info helps.

Jackie
JimX

Post by JimX »

Finally, if you do decide to go down the streaming route Jackie you get all UK TV I mean all, this includes every Sky program including a must for me Sky sports etc.
Jim.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Does the inclusion of Sky sport films etc, not depend on what package you buy ?

Trev..
Trev..
holitec

Post by holitec »

Just for info there are some MAG providers that offer a multi-room option, 1St box on full subs, and 2+ boxes on as little as €5 a month per box, with the full sky package. PM me if you require any info.

Regards

Digby
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Thanks Guys

A lot to think about, I'll have to 'google' the options to see which way to go.

Jackie
JimX

Post by JimX »

Trev morning, I have no idea who your server is but both of mine comes as one package, Sport Sky movies plus sport and of course it's own multi-package of movies and music plus much more including all UKTV and other countries too, no choice on what to have or not, one is very reasonable and a full IPTV service is not worth cherry picking even if you could, to be honest, I need Sky programs and Sky sports and we do not mind paying the small annual fee, I remember paying for Sky at £69 a month to a UK agent plus a 3meter dish on the roof it was as big as our bungalow!, Thank goodness Mags came along.
Jim.