Photovoltaic systems in Cyprus become extremely popular, keep EAC on its toes

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paphos Life

Photovoltaic systems in Cyprus become extremely popular, keep EAC on its toes

Post by Paphos Life »

Photovoltaic systems in Cyprus have recently become extremely popular because of the rising inflation and predictions that the cost of electricity will continue to increase, Philenews reported on Monday. ...

Read the article and chat about it below...
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Re: Photovoltaic systems in Cyprus become extremely popular, keep EAC on its toes

Post by cyprusmax47 »

1000 applications for PV per month could be also the reason for the delays of EAC bills and all the estimations. As EAC gets money from every application, by law they have to respond within one month, unlike in the past when they just "lost" applications as there were no fees...

Max
JimX

Re: Photovoltaic systems in Cyprus become extremely popular, keep EAC on its toes

Post by JimX »

This week after much deliberation we decided to get a quote for fitting a system, the company we decided on said sorry no further quote's until late November...
Jim.
kansas

Post by kansas »

That's interesting, JimX, we had a visit from the owner of the company we decided upon 4 weeks ago and provided all the information required and dropped it into their offices. We were told that the installation would take place 'in about a couple of weeks' although it would take longer for connection. After two days, we're still waiting for a call-back giving us an update. With the August holidays looming I doubt that we'll be lucky this side of September/October. I do hope they don't let us down........
JimX

Post by JimX »

I still wish to have a system most suppliers are not confident to finish the job, so may wait until it all dies down....

thanks
Jim.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Update on installation: It's happening tomorrow, but I understand that the EAC may take quite a while to inspect and connect.
Mark

Post by Mark »

We had installation end Feb, connected early July (4kw) since then have produced well over 1 Mw hours and had first bill of €16(just over 1 months use) with Kw’s in the bank for future use. The hot Sun does not add to Kw’s produced, the length of day is more important, so early connection is preferred.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Thanks Mark. With a bit of luck we might have connection by Christmas!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

kansas wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:10 pm Thanks Mark. With a bit of luck we might have connection by Christmas!
which Christmas? We applied about Christmas 2019 and we are still waiting, despite various reminders. I've been told that the Larnaca district installers have a huge backlog (not verified, hearsay)
kansas

Post by kansas »

Hi Devil, our installation was completed yesterday and when the company phoned us re. final payment, we asked about the length of time for connection. In short, there is no time frame unless we 'know' someone at the electricity board.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Mark wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:56 pm connected early July (4kw) since then have produced well over 1 Mw hours
That's extraordinary. Is the sun shining at night as well where you live? My Solaredge 4 kWp system produced only 761 kWh in July, which is completely in line with previous years. What brand are your panels?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

theoretically, I would expect a maximum production of about 1000 kWh over that time period but subtract from that the electricity you have used within your house. 700 – 800 kWh into the system seems reasonable.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Devil wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:29 am theoretically, I would expect a maximum production of about 1000 kWh
Forget your theories and wait until you have your own PV system installed. 1000 kWh in July from 4 kWp installed modules is not possible with an fixed installation on ground or roof. More realistic is a daily production of ca 6,4 kWh per kWp installed in the month July, which would be roughly 25 kWh for a 4 kWp PV system per day. Here figures from Paphos, however at your area where it is much hotter even less. Only with sun tracker you can get much more out of it, while the optimal tilt in July is around 0 degree most systems are installed at 28 degree...

These figures showing the performance of a solar pool pump, by the way!
Max
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Mark wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:56 pm We had installation end Feb, connected early July (4kw) since then have produced well over 1 Mw hours and had first bill of €16(just over 1 months use) with Kw’s in the bank for future use. The hot Sun does not add to Kw’s produced, the length of day is more important, so early connection is preferred.
That’s an amazing number for July.

Our installed capacity on the roof is 3.12kw and in July, according to the Kostal app, generated 583kw beating the previous best by a few kw - a sunny but slightly cooler July this year I think. Every year the panels generate around 5,000kw, plus or minus a few, giving a production rate of around 1,600kw per installed kw. According to our installer that’s pretty much bang on the rate EAC assume.

Ian
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Strangely perhaps, I am not really sure what our capacity is. I do know that we have 12 panels on the roof but that they are not quite lined up with south more like southeast.
Most nights I check to see what we have 'made' during the day and recently it has been just over 17 units a day
Trev..
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:05 pm These figures showing the performance of a solar pool pump, by the way!
Max
I'm sorry, Max, I do not understand your chart. You cite the daily output in m3. A cubic metre is a unit of physical volume and not a unit of power or energy. To my way of thinking, there is no way that one can be converted to the other. as a stupid analogy, it's like saying that a car with a larger fuel tank will go faster than one with a smaller tank!
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Devil wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:46 pm
cyprusmax47 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:05 pm These figures showing the performance of a solar pool pump, by the way!
Max
I'm sorry, Max, I do not understand your chart. You cite the daily output in m3. A cubic metre is a unit of physical volume and not a unit of power or energy. To my way of thinking, there is no way that one can be converted to the other. as a stupid analogy, it's like saying that a car with a larger fuel tank will go faster than one with a smaller tank!
That's why I mentioned that this chart is for solar pool pumps which shows the performance in m3 but also below: Energy from 1 kWp PV, radiation, rainfall and temperature of Paphos. Important is Energy and temperature in this case!

Max
Mark

Post by Mark »

Sincere apologies.

I was connected early June, not July, the Greenair installation produced 821 Kw in July, and my total production since early June is well in excess of 1Mw. The cloudy days so far in August, plus slightly shorter days, has reduced production by circa 3.5 Kw per day
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Mark wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:30 pm Sincere apologies.

I was connected early June, not July, the Greenair installation produced 821 Kw in July, and my total production since early June is well in excess of 1Mw. The cloudy days so far in August, plus slightly shorter days, has reduced production by circa 3.5 Kw per day
Well, your 821 kWh produced in July is a very good result. Better than my above chart is showing. So you got a very good system installed by GreenAir and can be happy with that. August is in most places very humid which also reduces the production of electricity from PV, so don't worry about less production. Dry, cooler days will come soon which give a better result. May I ask you which type of modules GreenAir was using at your place?

Max
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hi Max

They were Jinko JKM410M-72H

I would add that the 821kw was measured by the Solar edge ap.

We had the A/c (new LG 24 also fitted by Greenair) on literally all day, so of the 823Kw produced in July, 460Kw went back to the grid.