Warning for higher electricity prices.... CMail

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Warning for higher electricity prices.... CMail

Post by cyprusmax47 »

I just wonder which time finally Cyprus Gov and EAC will change their restrictions towards installing photo-voltaic systems on private houses, when everybody knows in the meantime it is the only way to escape energy price rise, specially when in future also heating has to go electric. (not to mention e-cars)

Here part of the article in yesterdays CM, concerning exactly that:

"On what the government is doing to push renewables, Petrides said that “hundreds of millions of euro” are provided for through Cyprus’ national recovery plan – funding schemes to improve buildings’ energy efficiency, and the installation of solar panels in residences and offices."

The complete article here:
https://cyprus-mail.com/2022/07/05/mini ... ty-prices/

Max
Kili01

Re: Warning for higher electricity prices.... CMail

Post by Kili01 »

Wonder if anyone has been able to have installed a PV system on the flat roof of a town house? I have'n't seen this sort of installation as yet. But am interested in the possibility of doing this if its practical and depending on cost. Advice please?

Dee
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

It was so cold earlier in the year our electricity bill was way over budget for the first two bills so I am already setting aside funds in preparation for next winter - health comes first and with both of us having weak respiratory systems keeping warm is a priority.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Agree with what you said re the necessity of maintaining a warm home during the colder winter months, specially as one gets older. I also had a very high electricity bill in Feb/Mar.
It's daunting trying to decide whether to try to get my 3 outside walls insulated or to go deeper into the feasibility of installing some type of PV system as I no longer have a large villa with a pitched roof.., maybe it isn't possible to take advantage of alternative energy in the smaller homes that so many people in Cyprus are living in?

Unless in a "vulnerable group a "Govt term" there is to be no reduction in the VAT or other megalithic additional costs as seen on my electricity bill. There must be thousands of people who will have similar problems next winter.

Dee
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Kili01 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:21 am Wonder if anyone has been able to have installed a PV system on the flat roof of a town house? I have'n't seen this sort of installation as yet. But am interested in the possibility of doing this if its practical and depending on cost. Advice please?

Dee
There are several systems on flat roofs in Konia and a couple in Armou. They fabricate a sloping metal frame to support the panels.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

My installations are on flat roof villa. Sloping frames. Put in December 2018, so 3.5 years and I reckon they will pay for themselves end of this year, early 2023. If you have space and cash, it's a no-brainier. Even to borrow the cash. A return of more than 20% will not be had on anything else. If you can get a grant, even better.
Paul

Post by Paul »

3kw system you will get a grant of 1250 euros.
Paul
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Many thanks for your encouraging replies. Does anyone have a rough idea of cost of installing a 3kw system, including a support frame?

Thanks, Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Given how the cost of materials has been shooting up you would be better off phoning up the companies and asking them to quote.

https://www.paphoslife.com/directory/category/energy
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Kilio 1
My quote for a 3k system is €4100 + vat.
I am waiting for the electric board and the solar company to get the ball rolling.
Paul