British TV reception this afternoon

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Kili01

British TV reception this afternoon

Post by Kili01 »

Hi , Have been having unusual problem with receiving either BBC or Channel4 programmes since 3pm today. I can get the channels mentioned! But after a few minutes the sound then, the picture goes.
Wondered if anyone else experienced this?

Dee
JimX

Re: British TV reception this afternoon

Post by JimX »

Dee hello.

Yes....

It is Cyta problem, just do a speed test, we pay for 50KBPS we are getting this morning less than ten, my guess is they are doing up-dates of some sorts, I will call them later..

regards Jim

link to CYTAs speed test. https://cyta.speedtestcustom.com/
Jim.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Many thank's, Jim.
I forgot to do a speed test🤷‍♀️, but when I rang CYTA they of course denied that there was any reduction in internet speed in my area. I should have 20KBPS which is usually enough for my needs. If it happens again, I will do a speed test....
Thanks again,
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:37 am Many thank's, Jim.
I forgot to do a speed test🤷‍♀️, but when I rang CYTA they of course denied that there was any reduction in internet speed in my area. I should have 20KBPS which is usually enough for my needs. If it happens again, I will do a speed test....
Thanks again,
Dee
Why would they lie? I have found Cyta customer service to be second to none, and they go out of their way to fix any internet issues you might have.
As no one else has replied to say they have internet problems, its your TV provider you should be looking at.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Not sure what happened Thurs regarding my TV reception, but byThursday evening service was restored. There is a very large hotel in my area, in the past there was an issue which was apparently caused by an increase of usage of the intenet (bandwidth limitation?) during parts of the summer season.

Dee
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We are on 20 mbps . But like many other TV viewers, from time to time we have problems.. The first thing I usually do is conduct a Cyta Speed test and when there are problems it coincides with the speed going down to single figures, sometimes below 5 mbps.. I don't bother ringing Cyta as it usually rights itself eventually
Trev..
JimX

Post by JimX »

No hotels near us.... :D

WHL wrong this time...

I did call Cyta in the early afternoon, and at first and as usual they said it was not their fault they said, but we will call you back later same day, they reset Cyta systems at their end and back to my near normal 50mbps, so not my streaming TV supplier this time.
Jim.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Many thanks, Jim, for troubleshooting and helping to solve the problem!

Dee
Paul

Post by Paul »

I have had Cyta reset the system from there end a few times and it did seam to sort out the problems.
Paul
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

On a similar subject.
I was talking to a friend who is out there at the moment, first time in three years due to Covid and other health issues.
She was complaining her MAG box wasn't working, I'd said it probably just needed updating by Premier Electrical due the length of time it's been lying unused.

She said she'd been told that these boxes had been made illegal and they had all been blocked.

Anyone have any knowledge?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Cappielow1 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:20 pm She said she'd been told that these boxes had been made illegal and they had all been blocked.
Bollocks! Mine has been working perfectly for two hours while I fell fast asleep!
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

Devil wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:26 pm
Cappielow1 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:20 pm She said she'd been told that these boxes had been made illegal and they had all been blocked.
Bollocks! Mine has been working perfectly for two hours while I fell fast asleep!
Probably just needs updating as I suspected.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I too think it is rubbish to say that a Mag box has been made illegally.. If it is a Mag Box then usually you have to pay a service provider for the TV programmes. Has she been in touch with the TV service provider i wonder
As far as I know Premier Electrical do not provide Mag Boxes or programmes for them.
Trev..
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

Was speaking to my neighbour again this morning.
Turns out it's not a MAG box they have it's one of those streaming boxes, probably best described as a Kodi box.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cappielow1 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:30 pm Was speaking to my neighbour again this morning.
Turns out it's not a MAG box they have it's one of those streaming boxes, probably best described as a Kodi box.
Kodi working fine, im guessing some of their add ons, need up grading, tell them to get a fire stick, from amerzon, plenty of free streaming they can download, my paid streaming costs 75 pound a year and is the best on the planet , every sports and tv channel worth having is on there.
Anarita John

Post by Anarita John »

Firestick and SmartDNS is the best system we have had. We use an Amazon TV stick and watch UK tv as we would at home, with very little buffering. Also we have a paid for, dodgy tv service on our fire stick for the little sport that we watch. Smart DNS give you a free, 14 day trial. It is part of the ZEN group, so a very trustworthy and well respected company.