New York Apts

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PhotoLady

Re: New York Apts

Post by PhotoLady »

From what I saw in the video, it appeared to be that a certain young man or particular group were being targetted and attacked, especially just before he escaped up the stairs.
When you create a ghetto environment, there's always going to be face offs between certain groups caused by different elements.
There's justification for keeping refugees together but like council housing estates, there will always be powderkegs waiting to happen when the housing environment becomes too big.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

josef k wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:00 pm Obviously the behaviour can't be condoned.
However, around the same time, dairy farmers poured milk over the streets outside the presidential palace, piled hay against the gates and set fire to it, and allegedly tried to ram the gates. A few broken chairs isn't really on the same level, but seems to have generated a greater reaction.
Two totally different things.
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:05 pm From what I saw in the video, it appeared to be that a certain young man or particular group were being targetted and attacked, especially just before he escaped up the stairs.
When you create a ghetto environment, there's always going to be face offs between certain groups caused by different elements.
There's justification for keeping refugees together but like council housing estates, there will always be powderkegs waiting to happen when the housing environment becomes too big.
I wouldn't call hotel apartments with a swimming pool, a ghetto enviroment
WHL

Post by WHL »

On a side note I was in the bank today with my wife, we were behind the counter sitting at a clerks desk doing some paper work,, when at the next desk three african men, im guessing in their twentys, came and sat at the next desk to us, long story short they applied to open accounts a week ago, and they were not happy that the accounts were not ready, the young lady was very polite and in good english, was trying to explain it will take time because there were checks that needed doing by the authorities, and she would ring them to come in when ready, they were having none of it, and all three started shouting at her and one even started banging on her desk, we could see she was frightened, and other bank employees came to her , after a while they begrudenly left,
What these people need to realise, the cypriots won't put up with ungrateful yobs, trust me its only a matter of time before this and what we saw in the hotel, gets a reaction from the locals, and trust me it won't be pretty
MikeTy

Post by MikeTy »

Recent reviews on Tripadvisor suggests the refugees will be staying there for three months. Also, looks like tourists were turning up for their holidays without being told that their apartment had been given to refugees.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Re ... trict.html
El tel

Post by El tel »

I think that one of the misconceptions is that these refugees are all in the same boat , what people do not always appreciate is that they are from different tribal groups and basically hate each other. Having seen this first hand in Africa and seen thousands of individuals killed because they were the wrong tribe and been unable to do anything about it is not something I would want anyone to experience . In the Biafran war in the late 1960’s I managed to save a member of staff by smuggling him out of the office in the boot of my car. The other members of staff who had worked happily with him for several years were going to hang him from the nearest lamp post because he was the wrong tribe .Life is not that simple.

Terry
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

MikeTy wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:06 pm Recent reviews on Tripadvisor suggests the refugees will be staying there for three months. Also, looks like tourists were turning up for their holidays without being told that their apartment had been given to refugees.
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Re ... trict.html
This has happened in other holiday destinations in the last few weeks. People I have spoken with on a Facebook group moved as the resort has only just opened for summer at the beginning of this month.
The refugees were being moved as tour operators were due to receive bookings.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Ghetto: usually poor section of a city inhabited primarily by people of the same race, religion, or social background, often because of discrimination.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They weren't in a ghetto. From what I read the argument started over a football match. God knows what the authorities were thinking lumping them in with tourists though. I can't help feeling that somebody, somewhere, was trying to create the perfect storm.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.