Bank account - without residence permit

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Poster12

Bank account - without residence permit

Post by Poster12 »

Anyone know how or where I can open a local bank account without yet having received my residence permit/certificate? I have tried to open an account with Bank of Cyprus, Hellenic, Astra, but they have all said that I need to have a residence permit/certificate. The person helping me with my residence application says that I need to open a local Cyprus bank account as it is mandatory for the residence application to the Immigration authorities. Is this correct? And the banks that I have contacted have all said that I cannot open an account without having received a residence permit/certificate. So it looks like a Catch-22 situation. My first meeting with the Immigration office is next month and so I hope to have opened a local bank account before this meeting.
jeba

Re: Bank account - without residence permit

Post by jeba »

It´s new to me that you´re required to have a Cypriot bank account in order to get a residence permit. It wasn´t the case for me in 2016. I´m an EU citizen though.
Poster12

Post by Poster12 »

Termites. So what can I do to open a bank account? I have already tried all of the banks and they have all said I need a residence permit. I will probably not get the residence permit until next January at the earliest. My first immigration appointment is next month and the waiting time will be about 6 months. But that is only on the basis that I have a local bank account. So what can I do?
Poster12

Post by Poster12 »

I am in Paphos and so a branch in Polis would be a bit impractical. You also said your friend got his residency two days after opening the account and so he must have had a very short examination period or already been well advanced with the application process. I was told the examination period will be about 6 months following the first meeting next month.
Poster12

Post by Poster12 »

There does not seem to be any solution to this problem!
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

well I have had 2 bank accounts in Cyprus since 1992 and I have never had residency, the longest I stay for at any time is 4 weeks so I can't apply for any form of it.
Aargent

Post by Aargent »

You could try The International Business Unit of the Bank of Cyprus and although they will charge you an annual fee once you are in the system you can move your account to a Branch. It is situated above the BoC branch just up from Kennedy Square at the traffic lights and you can get to it from there.. 26166142 is a number but I think that the staff have personal numbers
Alastair

Nil illigitimi carborundum
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Poster12 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:57 pm I am in Paphos and so a branch in Polis would be a bit impractical. You also said your friend got his residency two days after opening the account and so he must have had a very short examination period or already been well advanced with the application process. I was told the examination period will be about 6 months following the first meeting next month.

You can open an account at any branch. So polis would be good . you can then use any branch.
All things are possible
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Poster12,
I haven't heard of this situation that you are describing before. Have you spoken to a solicitor?
I would suggest one like Penelope Mantis. She is very well established here, knows everyone and is very good with property acquisition. Speaks very good English, hopefully she will be able to advise you.
Unfortunately, the rules for permanent residency here have changed - toughened up all due to Brexit, unfortunately.
But there are recognised ways to get residency, open a bank account and to buy a property.
Though I think, such property must be over a certain value.
Her contact details:
Mantis & Athinodorou Law Firm Tel: 26 934277

Hope this helps.

Dee
Poster12

Post by Poster12 »

Kili

Yes I have spoken to a lawyer thanks. And it was the lawyer who said I needed to open a bank account to get a residence permit! And the banks all say that I need a residence permit to open a bank account!
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Poster,
If you have'n't yet got a bank account, suggest you give the lawyer a ring. There must be more to this..

Dee
Poster12

Post by Poster12 »

Dee,

I have confirmed it again with the lawyer. They have said that a Cyprus Bank Account is a mandatory requirement for a MEU2 application, or for a Temporary Residence Permit application.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

So, you're not British if you need an MEU2. For Brits an MEU 1 is a temporary residence form, while an MEU3 is for Permanent residence, ( Application for that only after 5yrs residence. )
But for Brits the above forms were superseded by the New MUKW forms. Following Brexit.

Dee
Poster12

Post by Poster12 »

Dee,

Yes I am British. Spouse is non-EU citizen, and child is EU citizen.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Give your lawyer a ring. Most local lawyers will know the local banks so may have a manager they could give a call to for help with opening an account.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hi Jeanne, That's more or less what I have suggested. There must be some problem or probably one of the banks would have obliged.

Dee