Procedure to see a doctor / GP

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Poster12

Procedure to see a doctor / GP

Post by Poster12 »

I am recently arrived to live in Paphos and I not very sure about the correct procedure if I need to see a doctor or a GP.

If I have some troubling pain for example can I just go to see any public doctor or private doctor in Paphos, or do I need to register with the local health system before I can go to see any doctor?

And as I am not yet registered on the health system, can I go to see a private doctor at any time without registration? And where would I find a private doctor in Paphos? And how do I know if they are public or private? And what would a private doctor usually charge for a 20 minute consultation?

Thanks for any advice.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Procedure to see a doctor / GP

Post by Dominic »

There are lots of options in our Health Care Directory:

https://www.paphoslife.com/directory/ca ... healthcare
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Poster12

Post by Poster12 »

Thanks for the replies so far.

So are all of these doctors/hospitals that are listed in the Health Care Directory private? And can I just phone any of them at any time and a GP will see me at short notice for a consultation costing €20/€30? And what if any further work is needed like scans or tests? Can I just pay for these at my own cost?

And about joining GESY. If I am resident in Cyprus then is it mandatory to join? And if it is mandatory, is there some time limit by which I must join GESY?
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Most GPs were private before GESY was introduced.
If someone isnt in GESY they can book a private appointment and if you need to have tests/scans etc you will have to pay at one of the private/GESY hospitals.
You do not have to join GESY but if you want to join you will need to meet certain criteria, firstly starting by registering with immigration obtaining an MEU1 and then eventually obtaining an MEU3 for EU citizens.
If you are not an EU citizen I dont know what procedure you need to do
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Most doctors are both private and GESY so you can see them under either option.just make an appointment with or call in at any listed doctor.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way