Bleak scenarios for tourism sector due to Ukrainian crisis

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
fishbeardsunset

Re: Bleak scenarios for tourism sector due to Ukrainian crisis

Post by fishbeardsunset »

I noticed this morning that Hellenic Bank (on-line) here in Cyprus are not accepting International money transfers involving the Russian ruble due to the "Ukraine conflict" but it does not mention whether they would accept other currencies. I'm thinking about the individual trying to use their Cyprus account's SWIFT code which is supposed to be sanctioned?. Just wondered how then a Russian person that is living here in Cyprus would face difficulties trying to get access to euros
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:36 am A point I made a few days ago. The outlook for Russians living in Cyprus in bleak indeed. Beyond bleak. Unless they have an income stream from interests in Cyprus, in Euros, there is no way that they can continue to function here. They are not now allowed to send money out of Russia, and even if they could, there is no mechanism to actually transfer the money and convert it to Euros. I can't imagine how they must be feeling right now.
Im sure those wealthy Russians who live here and elsewhere took their money out of Russia long ago, and it is sitting in banks from the Caymen islands to Jersey to Lichtenstein I wouldnt worry to much on how they are going to pay the bill at Lidls,
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Same for me
Trev..
June

Post by June »

Works for me. No subscription.
jeba

Post by jeba »

WHL wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:54 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:36 am A point I made a few days ago. The outlook for Russians living in Cyprus in bleak indeed. Beyond bleak. Unless they have an income stream from interests in Cyprus, in Euros, there is no way that they can continue to function here. They are not now allowed to send money out of Russia, and even if they could, there is no mechanism to actually transfer the money and convert it to Euros. I can't imagine how they must be feeling right now.
Im sure those wealthy Russians who live here and elsewhere took their money out of Russia long ago, and it is sitting in banks from the Caymen islands to Jersey to Lichtenstein I wouldnt worry to much on how they are going to pay the bill at Lidls,
Not all Russians living here are wealthy, though. My former landlady is Russian, and she sometimes depended on me to pay rent in advance in order to make it to the end of the month.
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:01 am
WHL wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:54 am
Not all Russians living here are wealthy, though. My former landlady is Russian, and she sometimes depended on me to pay rent in advance in order to make it to the end of the month.
Im sure they are more wealthy then your average Russian back in Russia.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We have many Russian and Ukranian friends and many of them rent out their properties in both Moscow and Kyiv to subsidisise living here. Most work to keep their heads above water so they're not all fat cats. They prefer the lifestyle here which in general is much more free than at home, especially for the Russians.
Most have lost their income from home and are very worried as to how they will manage.
Many Russians are ashamed of their government and just want peace as we all do
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Good post Jim ..
Trev..
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

'Even though Russia has signed an agreement with Cyprus to give its navy ships access to the Mediterranean country’s ports Nicosia this week forbade five of them from mooring because of the Ukrainian invasion'.

https://in-cyprus.philenews.com/cyprus- ... raine-war/
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I posted this on the Paphos Chat group over a week ago. I will post it here too.

PRAY FOR UKRAINE
Somebody posted about safety a while ago, in light of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. They appear to have deleted their post but I wanted to make two points.
Firstly, if you believe in God, please do pray for Ukraine, and for Peace.
Secondly, I had to delete a comment somebody made about Russian money.
I will have none of that nonsense here.
I am an immigrant to Cyprus, just as a lot of you are, from the UK, from China, from a lot of places, including Russia.
I would be mortified if I was held accountable for the illegal war in Iraq. I am sure that most Russians living in Cyprus now would be equally mortified if they were blamed for the actions of Putin.
So please, none of that.
About the only thing we as ordinary people can do in situations like this is hope and pray for peace.
Getting angry with other people who have nothing to do with the situation will not achieve that.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Update on financial services blocked by Visa:

MasterCard too...
"Have Camera, Will Travel"