Aluminium window shutters

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Cappielow1

Aluminium window shutters

Post by Cappielow1 »

Hi after recent incidents around our complex I'm looking for recommendations for supply and fitting of window shutters.

Thanks in advance
lin n vic

Re: Aluminium window shutters

Post by lin n vic »

hi if you mean the manily blue sort that leptos fit dont waste your money about
as much use as a chocolate teapot look for the electric ones that once down stay down
Vic
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

The aluminum shutters that bolt on the inside are adequate to stop thieves. It is a very good deterrant. However if you can afford the electronic roll down type then yes they are better.
All things are possible
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Aluminium is very expensive at the moment, a friend of ours just requested a price on previously quoted job and cost had gone from €950 to €1950.
Quite a jump.
WHL

Post by WHL »

A crow bar will open them up in minutes, if you want to protect downstairs windows, get an ironworks to make you some metal decorative window bars , bolt them on to the walls,
WHL

Post by WHL »

nholleran wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:23 am WKL but will still have to have some type of locking system and thats the weakest part.
Not decorative bars they bolt on the wall, they dont have to cover all the window, just makes it more difficult for someone to get in through
the window.
lin n vic

Post by lin n vic »

Once you know how easy the louvers come out you know they are
a waste of money look good thats about all other wise no good to keep your place
secure
I know from being done twice
Vic
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

My friend was killed when he was caught in a fire and overcome by smoke in a downstairs room that had decorative bars on the window. Not for me, if they want to get in they'll get in no matter what you do.
WHL

Post by WHL »

nholleran wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:50 am Why would they try getting in through a window when they could go through your patio doors and i agree with Jim B.
Thief's can get into Bank Vaults if they want to, most burglars want easy in and out, if they see bars on windows, the majority wont bother with your house and go for easier pickings, yes they can open patio doors but we have secure lock's and bolts, on our patio doors, so it will not be a quick in and out, add to that an alarm blaring away...
WHL

Post by WHL »

nholleran wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:18 am It seems the alarm didnt deter them in Konia though.
Luckily we have great neighbors, and have each others back, they know when we are out, or on holiday, as we know their movements, and we watch out for each other.
johnandjen1

Post by johnandjen1 »

Stuart has also done work for me. Strongly recommended.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

mouse wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:53 am A friend of mine Stuart Porterfield is a blacksmith and makes and fits many types of steel grids for window and door security.
Porterfield iron work ltd 97 802499.
Thanks I called Stuart today
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

My philosophy is to make my house as difficult to enter as possible. Most thieves want houses which are quick and fairly easy to get in.
We have heavy double glazed, 'tilt and turn' windows, in UPVC but with steel embedded in the frame. They are opening, not sliders, with multi point locking.. ie no tracks. They lock on the inside. We also have lockable UPVCshutters.
There are also 3 small unshuttered windows, tilt and turn, but these are protected by fixed metal grilles, fixed in the walls.
The back garden is walled.
So far so good.... there are always houses which are easier 'in and outs'.
Fingers crossed,
Dee
PS. I make a point of having only just enough cash for my needs for the next few days. What are bank cards for?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Heavily armoured houses attract the more skilful thieves, not because they are a challenge to penetrate, but because they think that there is something worth protecting behind all the grilles, therefore worth thieving. This was borne out down the road from here two or three years ago, when only the most highly "protected" house was visited. A number of the locals do not even bother locking their doors when they go out. I do not know what the best answer is but I think it must be in the grey area somewhere between doing nothing at all and being closeted in a fortress.

It may be that the degree of protection is simply a manifestation of the owner's state of mind.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

I think that's true when a house is continuously occupied as there's more likely to be high end tech equipment within as well as handbags, wallets and jewellery etc.

I the case of a holiday home the only things particularly worth stealing would be a TV for example, unless the thieves start emptying the house completely of couches and beds etc. which will take longer and therefore more likely they'll be discovered.

In my case it's the worry of damage caused either by the break in itself or of property once they are in, or maybe more worrying, once they're in they don't leave at all!
staffie

Post by staffie »

when we had a ground floor apartment (universal area) 8 years ago, there were renters in next door for 6 months approx, not English speaking, one particular day they moved out with help from others, unknown to us, the renters had sold all the owners furniture etc, obviously to theives, so even beware when renting.
daveg

Post by daveg »

Similar reason as to why I haven't got a safe in the Villa...if the morons find a safe, then they know where the valuables are....
As it is we have very little portable stuff of value....and no €'s....
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

staffie wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:35 pm when we had a ground floor apartment (universal area) 8 years ago, there were renters in next door for 6 months approx, not English speaking, one particular day they moved out with help from others, unknown to us, the renters had sold all the owners furniture etc, obviously to theives, so even beware when renting.
Much the same thing happened to neighbour of mine a few years back, they moved out and took the furniture with them. Even changed the locks, so owner had to break-in to his own apartment.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:39 am Our endeavours also give us piece of mind.
Yes, you often give us a piece of your mind while we have peace of ours.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:39 am
Devil wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:19 amHeavily armoured houses attract the more skilful thieves, not because they are a challenge to penetrate, but because they think that there is something worth protecting behind all the grilles, therefore worth thieving.

Balderdash. Ours is very significantly protected (as opposed to "armoured") and out of 30 houses in our immediate vicinity we are probably 1 out of perhaps 2 or 3 houses not broken into over the years. We have tall electric gates and tall metal fence to the front and thick almost penetrable bushes on the remaining three sides. I realise we could still be broken into at any time...but our experience over 16 years speaks for itself.

Devil wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:19 amIt may be that the degree of protection is simply a manifestation of the owner's state of mind.

Or perhaps just sensible, elementary security precautions. I'd prefer to try and prevent burglars, than not try. Our endeavours also give us piece of mind.
Friend of mine has a commercial safe in his bedroom, but has his valuables hidden in amongst the old paint tins in his shed.