Photovoltaic/Net metering etc

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PW in Polemi

Re: Photovoltaic/Net metering etc

Post by PW in Polemi »

J B wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:58 pm What about putting something on communal land?
e.g. Heating for a communal pool and using the panels to 'fund' this?
Would all owners still have to consent?
If you are not going for net metering, but only want the panels to pump and heat the pool, I don't believe EAC permission is required, and therefore this is something the management committee can decide for themselves. Your chosen PV panel supplier will be able to verify whether I am correct in this. Certainly, some years ago when we installed three PV panels to pump the pool, I don't recall Andi from Solartec ever asking us to sign paperwork to apply to EAC for permission, unlike the reams of paperwork involved with the net metering system.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

PW in Polemi wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:55 am
J B wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:58 pm What about putting something on communal land?
e.g. Heating for a communal pool and using the panels to 'fund' this?
Would all owners still have to consent?
If you are not going for net metering, but only want the panels to pump and heat the pool, I don't believe EAC permission is required, and therefore this is something the management committee can decide for themselves. Your chosen PV panel supplier will be able to verify whether I am correct in this. Certainly, some years ago when we installed three PV panels to pump the pool, I don't recall Andi from Solartec ever asking us to sign paperwork to apply to EAC for permission, unlike the reams of paperwork involved with the net metering system.
just a thought, would the chlorine/chemicals in the pool water affect the panels?
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

They are PV panels and have no water in them
Trev..
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

WHL wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:34 am just a thought, would the chlorine/chemicals in the pool water affect the panels?
My pool water does not go through the PV panels, these panels are only for generating the electricity needed to operate the pool pump. The panels for heating the water are designed specifically for heating pool water, so pool chemicals being in the water passing through the panels will have been allowed for.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:
Paul

Post by Paul »

I am thinking about putting a PV system on my house, is there any one in Choulou area or not to far away that could let me see there set up.
Just pm me.
Paul
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Paul wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:58 am I am thinking about putting a PV system on my house, is there any one in Choulou area or not to far away that could let me see there set up.
Just pm me.
Paul
That is the right way to go, find someone who will show your their system.. It would also be good if they would show you some of their recent electricity bills.

I know some tried to dissuade us when we first thought of putting the panels on our roof. Even saying that we may die before we recouped the money we were spending.

Even taking everything into consideration, the property must be worth more with a PV system installed
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

What we found when selling our house at Kamares, was that potential buyers were very interested in the fact that we had some. Our purchaser particularly wanted a PV system and quickly snapped the property up...

Dee
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Paul wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:58 am I am thinking about putting a PV system on my house, is there any one in Choulou area or not to far away that could let me see there set up.
Just pm me.
Paul
First thing: YOU have to be ready to do something for the environment AND for economy and not dislike the look of modules on your roof...

Second: Have a look how many kW/h per year you are paying to EAC in order to find out how big your system should be. Depending how optimal the PV modules can be installed, one can produce appr. 1600 kW/h/per year from 1 kWp modules (3-4 pieces) of good quality. However if using newest technology with optimizer on every panel the figure goes up 20% and more. I recommend it also when it is difficult on the roof or garden to find unshaded areas. Every property is different!

Also to consider items running with electricity instead of gas/diesel etc you will perhaps buy in future as the investment in PV is for >20 years or so.

Get a quote for a simple, normal installation and one for a upgraded solution, where you can check your system every minute via your smart phone..
and if you like more the black coloured modules than the normal blue ones go for that.

Max
Paul

Post by Paul »

My property has a flat roof and is 4 meters by 15 meters and faces south.
I am looking at a 4 kWh system as I only used 3255 kw last year.
And net metering to boot.
Paul
jeba

Post by jeba »

Paul wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:40 pm My property has a flat roof and is 4 meters by 15 meters and faces south.
I am looking at a 4 kWh system as I only used 3255 kw last year.
And net metering to boot.
Paul
Unless you plan to increase your consumption or there are factors reducing the efficacy (e.g. shade) a 4 kWp system will probably be oversized. Mine is 4 kWp and generates more than 6500 kWh/year.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Jim B wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:11 am We've had a 5Kw PV system for about six years and it's more than paid for itself. Our bills average around €16 per month on a five bedroom villa.
We used Green Air who are an established company and we know they'll still be about for the long term.
Not only the installer is important but also the producer of the photo-voltaic modules. Many of them went bust in the last decade in Germany and I have doubts that in this case the Cypriot installer would be able to give you replacements if there is something wrong with these modules.

Green Air is using since many years REC modules, from one of the financially most robust high quality producers worldwide. Green Air itself is since 13 years on the market, slowly growing every year, with now more than 40 employees and its owner in the current position of the Deputy Mayor of Paphos, I am quite confident Green Air will be around more decades to come.

Max
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Max
Our Lorenz Pump is making all sorts of strange noises which sounds like the bearings are failing, can these pumps be refurbished?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

After 2 1/4 years, I have at last received the green light to start installing photovoltaic panels on my roof. The powers that be were not in any hurry to let me go ahead. Let's see now how long it'll take before it is operational!
Sadie

Post by Sadie »

Devil wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:49 pm After 2 1/4 years, I have at last received the green light to start installing photovoltaic panels on my roof. The powers that be were not in any hurry to let me go ahead. Let's see now how long it'll take before it is operational!
Why did it take so long?
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Jim B wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:31 pm Max
Our Lorenz Pump is making all sorts of strange noises which sounds like the bearings are failing, can these pumps be refurbished?
If it's the bearings, as far as I know they can be replaced. Even the pump is 11 years old, Green Air have still stock of the old models spare parts.
You should mention at Green Air that yours is the old pump typ CS 15-1 which was replaced later from the CS 17-1!!!
(interesting link: .....
http://www.floridasolarpump.com/solar-pool-pump-ps600/
Max
daveg

Post by daveg »

You maybe lucky and find that the bearings are commonly used and easily sourced.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Sadie wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:19 pm
Devil wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:49 pm After 2 1/4 years, I have at last received the green light to start installing photovoltaic panels on my roof. The powers that be were not in any hurry to let me go ahead. Let's see now how long it'll take before it is operational!
Why did it take so long?
EAC bureaucracy + coronavirus