Returned to the Island

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
ApusApus

Re: Returned to the Island

Post by ApusApus »

Obviously people have different ideas of "Utopia" but I think when you choose to live permanently in another country you have to accept that some standards may not necessarily match up to yours! This does not make you right & the locals wrong or vice-versa it's just the way it is. If you can't accept this then it will make it difficult to adapt to local life & you will always have a burr eating away at you! Animal welfare is a very emotive subject for UK people but we have to recognize that other cultures don't necessarily share our views. Other issues are there as well but we have to remember that by moving to another country we are the ones that have to integrate not the other way round!

Shane

PS. For Dom, I quite happy to be a coffin bearer but can you pay me in advance please?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I visited Nepal once, where cows are sacred and dogs are workers. I remember picking up a stick to throw for a dog to chase, and being shocked at how it cowered, thinking I was going to hit it with it. But how would they feel seeing how cows are treated in the UK?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Dominic wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:48 pm Make sure you pay Nikki at the council office the cemetery tax then. :lol:
I wanted to pay the cemetery tax this year at the Tala office but was told that after two years of collecting it they stopped. Presumably the new cemetery has now enough spaces again?

A.
Keith

Post by Keith »

We are moving over for good in April this year.
We have been going over 4 times a year for the last ten years, we have done our homework on everything from buying local produce to Healthcare.
We are both very active people, walking, jogging and cycling are just some of the things we do. We love the things like eating breakfast outside, going to the local Tavernas etc so the sun plays a big part in our lives which over here in the U.K. we don't get or should I say rarely get.
As I sit here typing this it's a beautiful sunny day here but can't ride my bike due the ice on the road.
We are both retiring early but have been saving like mad these past few years just to get there knowing that whatever happens till we reach retirement age we will have to fend for ourselves, which in my opinion is only right.
We can't just go over there expecting to start claiming benefits and if all goes to plan which it should we will be OK.
Like others have said we also find it a far more friendlier place to be where over here it's all hussle and bussle and no one has time for each other.
We can't wait and are counting down each day, yes things can and of course does happen in Cyprus that we don't like but we are moving to another country and realise we have to respect their cultures and if we can't, then to be honest we shouldn't be going to actually live there.
Everyone in this world has to do what is right for them and their family's and this is right for us.
Good luck to everyone moving over soon and also the people going back.
Just less than thirteen weeks to go now for us :D

Keith
sueb

Post by sueb »

Hello Keith,

Well said!

All the best with your move. Where are you from in the UK and where will you be going to in Cyprus?

We have done it twice April 2008 for 4,5 years stay and Dec 2016 for good? Or for however long we still enjoy it.

There is good and bad where ever you live but in the end you have to do what is 'right' for you.

My husband is now 65 and I am 58.
Happy to be back on the Island!
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Very good post Keith. I fully agree with how you look at things.

We moved to Cyprus 23 years ago with the same attitude and are still very happy here. No regrets whatsoever.
Louise :)
sueb

Post by sueb »

Hello Keith,

If you need any help and advice please just ask?
Been there got the T-Shirt twice over.

This forum is new but very pleasing to-date.
sueb

Post by sueb »

Hello Steve,

Just ask away. I will try and help as much as possible.

Where are you moving to? Have you bought. a property or renting? Do you need to work?

Main tip I would give is 'Go with the flow'. Things will be easier than you think.

Being positive is name of the game to enjoying life where ever you are.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi All,
We currently live in the North West in the U.K. a place called Woodplumpton which is just north of Preston, just look on the UK weather map and look where the rain clouds are.
We bought a place in Peyia, a two bed town house but wouldn't change it for anything.
The people are great around there and help each other, there is only two of us so we don't need some big villa.
If we went down that route we would be working another eight to ten years, better to go now whilst young enough to enjoy what we have and be thankful we can do it.
We are now three hours closer to going than my last post😃

Keith
sueb

Post by sueb »

I know about the rain - not far from Preston being from Trawden. It was the rain that got me in the UK as well as the dark, long, cold, winter mornings and nights. Brrrrrrrrrrr do not like the cold one bit.
Cold here at night but from previous experience we had central heating fitted back in May of last year ready for our move in December- have an apartment but it is nice and toasty.

I worked in a bakery but still had a,vest, polo neck jumper, cardigan and body warmer on plus standard food manufacture whites. This would be up to May and then I would lose the body warmer. I was the talk of the factory for always being cold. They said I did not do any work that why I was cold.
sueb

Post by sueb »

Thank you for your reply Steve,

We came for a holiday in 2002 for a week and bought an apartment. Never been to Cyprus before. No not rash people as hubby was an accountant, had thought about buying some where but thought it would be in a year or two. Only saw 2 places one on a complex - not for us and the one we brought.
Had the keys by June 2004 and then came 4 times a year before coming out in April 2008 to live.
Yes, we did it all wrong but all in all we have the apartment now and for us it is still working. Area not changed that much.

All the best with the move. Time will pass very quickly now.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

One bit of advice Steve - after you have settled in etc you do need a hobby( once the holiday period is over!!), most especially if you have both been in stressful jobs you can't just go from that to nothing!!
You may have a garden that will take some of your time, we took up Bowls and my husband was also into photography in a big way. The Island is small and can become a little restrictive after a while. There are a few Golf Courses around and lots of Clubs, archaealogy, bird watching, camera etc etc
Also do remember you will probably need some medical isurance as you are not of retirement age.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

My one and only regret about our move to Cyprus was being thrown into work straightaway....

We arrived at Paphos airport on Weds evening, collected our hire car at the airport and drove to The Old Bridge Hotel for our first nights' stay in Limassol. Next morning I was at the Electricity office paying the deposit for our rental property (rented 2 months before we came on our one way flight) whilst my husband and our two friends collected the keys from our landlord.

Shopping for furniture on Friday and Saturday. A day of rest on Sunday then straight to work on the Monday morning.

I hated that job and walked out after 4 weeks and 1 day.... with Cyp £15,000 in the safe and the keys in my pocket :D
"Have Camera, Will Travel"