Blue Velvet Sea and the Turtle Island at Aphrodite's Hidden Beach

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Blue Velvet Sea and the Turtle Island at Aphrodite's Hidden Beach

Post by Dominic »

I sometimes do relaxing films. I have fun picking music for them, but would never be able to use this piece - Mysteries of Love - commercially, because it comes from the film, Blue Velvet, and will be protected by Copyright.

However, Halloween is approaching, and I normally like to do some suitably themed content. So I will happily turn this clip into an advert for the film, Blue Velvet. If you haven't yet seen it, Halloween is the perfect time, as it is quite horrific in places, yet strangely beautiful.

David Lynch at his freaky best.

There are no scares or surprises in this drone footage though. Just a beautiful scene, set to angelic music. Turn the sound up, sit back and enjoy.

Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Ams

Re: Blue Velvet Sea and the Turtle Island at Aphrodite's Hidden Beach

Post by Ams »

Lovely! I really love snorkelling here, the water is so clear and heavenly.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

That brought a little tear to my eyes because when I first visited with my wife we sat in the restaurant & after looking out I saw a small tear in hers. Such a beautiful view & a great job in selecting that piece of music
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes, the music is so relaxing and beautiful. It comes at the end of the film. Apparently, David Lynch has wanted to use an existing piece, but couldn't get the license, so he collaborated with Angelo Badalamenti in what was to be a career-spanning adventure...

From WIkipedia.

Badalamenti scored films such as Gordon's War, and Law and Disorder, but his break came when he was brought in to be Isabella Rossellini's singing coach for the song "Blue Velvet" in David Lynch's 1986 film Blue Velvet.[5] Inspired by This Mortal Coil's recent cover of Tim Buckley's "Song to the Siren", Lynch had wanted Rossellini to sing her own version, but was unable to secure the rights. In its place, Badalamenti and Lynch collaborated to write "Mysteries of Love" using lyrics Lynch wrote and Badalamenti's music. Julee Cruise, who went on to work with Lynch and Badalamenti on other projects, performed the vocals for the track. Badalamenti composed the score for the film and served as music supervisor. Lynch's request to the composer was for the score to be "like Shostakovich, be very Russian, but make it the most beautiful thing but make it dark and a little bit scary."[6] Badalamenti appears in Blue Velvet as the piano player in the club where Rossellini's character performs. This film was the first of what would become a career-long collaborative relationship spanning television and film.[5]

Funnily enough, Badalamenti features in one of my favourite youtube clips of all time, where he is explaining how he and David came up with Laura's theme in Twin Peaks.

brengreen

Post by brengreen »

Does anyone know the significance of the cross on the rock there?
memory man

Post by memory man »

In the blog by Dominic Published on 14th of July, 2020
there is no sign of a cross on the rock.

Could it be a new addition?

https://www.paphoslife.com/blog/aphrodites-wild-beach/4
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

There is a smaller cross on the island too, set into the rock. You can see it in the film. As to who put it there, I have no idea.
Ams

Post by Ams »

There has been a cross as long as I've lived here (which is many years), but it fell down sometime in the 2019-2020 winter as it wasn't at the top last summer. But when you swam round the rock it was perched on the rocks below, at the back, so you couldn't see it from land. I guess someone found it fallen down and placed it upright on the rocks. This summer there is a new, larger, cross on the top, but you can still see the old one on the rocks at the back, though it had topped over.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Is there a story about the cross? Have heard some stories but they could be folklore
brengreen

Post by brengreen »

I've heard stories but can't remember what they were which is why I asked. Maybe nobody knows