Your first wage.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Re: Your first wage.

Post by WHL »

Apprentice at the Electricity Board, 1970, eight pound a week, Pint of larger was 20p and a brand new mini was 600 pound.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

First wage was 50p for doing the Sunday paper round.

First brown envelope was working in the small warehouse at Allders Department Store in Camberley, in 1985. It was notable because I was there three days, and on the third day they moved me to the shop floor to help put up the Sales displays. This was significant, because the second day I was there the Small Warehouse had their Christmas meal in the canteen, and the third day, it was the turn of the Shop Floor. So I got two Christmas meals in three days of work.

I remember having to clock on and clock off, too. That was the only time I ever had to do that.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

What I've gleaned from this thread.....
There's still a lot of old codgers on this forum 😉
Except for Dom!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

PhotoLady wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:12 pm What I've gleaned from this thread.....
There's still a lot of old codgers on this forum 😉
Except for Dom!
Ahem!

:lol:
wilky

Post by wilky »

My first wage was £2 12s 6d working in the nut and bolt store of a lift manufacturer then when i was 16 started my electrical apprenticeship on £3 3s 6d
working on grain mills,hospitals and the Canberra Ocean Liner built in Harland and Wolf in Belfast.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I was interviewed by Harland and Wolf for the position of office junior they offered me £2.50 a week, I politely declined their offer. 1963.
Last edited by Firefly on Tue May 25, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

Slightly off topic, but I remember, just before I left the yards getting home one Friday night after collecting my wages to find my wage packet empty.
Some scumbag had removed it from my pocket, emptied it and put the empty envelope back in my coat pocket.
Probably occurred on the bus home.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Lincoln wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:44 am I started work in 1958. Apprentice Saw Dr and Joiner. £1.4shillings a week. I felt like a millionaire, all that money.
Yes i remember,we used to have a saw doctor who came round to our works once a week to take away the joiners saws that needed " setting and sharpening ".Then we started to set our own saws with a "saw set" and sharpened them ourselves with our own "saw files " Until i was good enough to set and sharpen my own i had to pay a joiner three pence to do mine ( a threepenny joe ).
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Chaddy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:50 pm
Lincoln wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:44 am I started work in 1958. Apprentice Saw Dr and Joiner. £1.4shillings a week. I felt like a millionaire, all that money.
Yes i remember,we used to have a saw doctor who came round to our works once a week to take away the joiners saws that needed " setting and sharpening ".Then we started to set our own saws with a "saw set" and sharpened them ourselves with our own "saw files " Until i was good enough to set and sharpen my own i had to pay a joiner three pence to do mine ( a threepenny joe ).
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

A Saw Doctor, would probably be something purchased (but didn't work) on a TV home shopping channel now
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Chaddy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:51 pm
Chaddy wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:50 pm
Yes i remember,we used to have a saw doctor who came round to our works once a week to take away the joiners saws that needed " setting and sharpening ".Then we started to set our own saws with a "saw set" and sharpened them ourselves with our own "saw files " Until i was good enough to set and sharpen my own i had to pay a joiner three pence to do mine ( a threepenny joe ). Oh, can you remember,to test if you had set and sharpened your saw correctly you put a needle on the top tooth and it had to slide all the way down the saw without dropping off.....Thats enough boring stuff from me.....