UK products

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Re: UK products

Post by WHL »

mouse wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:05 am It would seem over the last few weeks UK products in food stores have been going out of stock. I guess this is brexit/ covid related, when they do come back I guess they will carry a heavy import duty burden, so maybe this is the perfect time to buy locally, this will help stimulate jobs and trade . Local bussinesses need help and this seems the way to go.
Never understood why any one would buy imported processed frozen bread, when there is a Bakery on every corner selling a good selection of fresh bread.
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

Wholeheartedly agree. Such wholesome foods available locally, plus you're not in Blighty anymore.
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
glowred

Post by glowred »

Show me the cypriot manufactured marmite and I'll happily put it on my Philippos bought bread 🍞 when I have my toast in the morning.

Neil
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Just out of curiosity - Is that the same Devil replying to that forum all those years ago ?
Diocletian

Post by Diocletian »

As a previous post says, it's not unique to the Brits. As a Brit however, I always tend to notice the spoken or written desire to source anything British on any given day for eating out, in or drinking. Mind Boggling!
Ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day.
BOB Peyia

Post by BOB Peyia »

Maybe there is a entrepreneur in Paphos, who will open UK food shop for those wanting UK products.

My personal favorite are Happy Shopper products, where you can clearly see the price charged in the UK, love the thought of paying 1euro for a 20 pence tin of baked beans

:0)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Just let people buy what they want to without judging them. Besides, international flavors add to a culture, not detract from it. I used to love going to China Town in London.

As HiC said, foreign food shops are commonplace the world over. The British abroad seem to beat themselves up about it at times though. I wonder if other countries are the same?

Funniest thing, is that the same people who moan when somebody asks where they can get a decent Sunday roast, will happily recommend a decent Italian restaurant. Work that one out.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Some just like an argument we all know who those members are. I happen to like some imported whole meal sliced bread that we freeze, also we have Marmite toast for brecky, I eat very little bread I find most Cypriot bread very short lived, it dries up very quickly, fine if you have a larger family consumption, Marmite is running out in outlets here due to Covid, brewers yeast is not so easy to find due to the pubs and bars being closed ( so Marmite informed me) so I guess those who enjoy the black stuff will have to be patient...
Jim.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Les Bean wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:34 am
Les Bean wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:35 pm
mouse wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:15 pm Diocletion quite so, some have emigrated others may reside here but still live in the UK.
This is true but the trait isn't limited to Brits. Here we have Bulgarian, Polish and Russian shops. In the UK, amongst others Greek and Cypriot shops
Sometimes I feel I'm wasting my breath, post ignored, then along comes a repeat from a more regular and better known poster and comments start appearing 🤣🤣🤣
Your not wasting your breath, I for one enjoy reading your comments, just to clear something up, We buy UK products, sauces, condiments, pickles, mustard, chocolate's, etc, but I personally don't see the point of buying things such as bread when there are Bakery's providing fresh hot bread on every street corner, but hey what ever floats your boat, its a free country.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Les Bean wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:34 am
Les Bean wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:35 pm
mouse wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:15 pm Diocletion quite so, some have emigrated others may reside here but still live in the UK.
This is true but the trait isn't limited to Brits. Here we have Bulgarian, Polish and Russian shops. In the UK, amongst others Greek and Cypriot shops
Sometimes I feel I'm wasting my breath, post ignored, then along comes a repeat from a more regular and better known poster and comments start appearing 🤣🤣🤣
Don't be so precious. For a start, I will happily argue with HiC when the situation arises. I just scrolled through the posts and his was the last one I saw before I got to the bottom that was relevant to what I wanted to say. It makes more sense to refer to a post that other people can easily see rather than refer to a post earlier in the conversation. Had your and HiCs posts been transposed I would have referred to you instead.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

We don't like Cypriot bread as it's too dry for our tastes but wouldn't dream of criticising people who do enjoy it.
We buy a lot of imported food, Beef from France, Lamb from New Zealand, cheese from the Netherlands and lots of stuff from the UK and Russia, we eat what we enjoy, not to prove a point.
If people want to live like a Cypriot well that's fine but shouldn't criticise people who don't.

Jim
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

I can easily manage without British products … except Marmite.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

We buy lots of BRITISH food items. However, we also buy local food as well. It is a choice we can take. We eat in local restaurants but like our local British Pub and the Pub Grub. :D
All things are possible
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Re Cypriot village loaves. I buy the big ones sliced from Paps and I keep it in the fridge. I have not noticed it degrading at all, but I must add I only use it for toast..
My wife buys British square loaves ..
Trev..
ast

Post by ast »

WHL wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:19 am
mouse wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:05 am It would seem over the last few weeks UK products in food stores have been going out of stock. I guess this is brexit/ covid related, when they do come back I guess they will carry a heavy import duty burden, so maybe this is the perfect time to buy locally, this will help stimulate jobs and trade . Local bussinesses need help and this seems the way to go.
Never understood why any one would buy imported processed frozen bread, when there is a Bakery on every corner selling a good selection of fresh bread.
A friend of mine is a manager at the Jacksons bakery in Hull who export frozen sliced bread all over the world, you can buy this in Papantoniou, he tells me they have continued to export just the same both prior to and after Brexit and right through the Covid pandemic.

Personally i think its awful stuff and prefer the local bread although as Jim said it does tend to turn into a piece of Plywood by the next day. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
WHL

Post by WHL »

ast wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:45 am
WHL wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:19 am
A friend of mine is a manager at the Jacksons bakery in Hull who export frozen sliced bread all over the world, you can buy this in Papantoniou, he tells me they have continued to export just the same both prior to and after Brexit and right through the Covid pandemic.

Personally i think its awful stuff and prefer the local bread although as Jim said it does tend to turn into a piece of Plywood by the next day. 8-)
Local bread now does not only consist of the round village bread, bakery's now bake all manner of bread, French loaf's, crusty loafs, sliced bread, bread for toast, German bread, Glutton free, etc etc the list is endless, the reason real bread goes stale quickly is because its not full of preservatives, when you buy a loaf of bread and its still soft after a week, then you better check out whats in the loaf?
Boxsterann

Post by Boxsterann »

When we first moved to the island UK products were not available but we survived! On visits back to UK we brought Marmite back with us for my hubby.
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:41 am Re Cypriot village loaves. I buy the big ones sliced from Paps and I keep it in the fridge. I have not noticed it degrading at all, but I must add I only use it for toast..
My wife buys British square loaves ..
Same here, village bread makes the best toast in my opinion, real butter and drizzled with honey,
josef k

Post by josef k »

If you want good wholemeal-like bread, try Paps. They have a loaf they call German bread. Excellent and last a good time in the fridge.

If you really must have British goods, then you will find Sainsburys stuff in Paps, Tesco in Alpha mega, Morrisons in Philipos etc.