Infrastructure investment

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Infrastructure investment

Post by Dominic »

EU
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
kansas

Post by kansas »

Yep, quite likely EU money. Before Cyprus joined the EU they apparently received a hefty sum to start the ball rolling with regard to infrastructure on the island.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:38 pm Slightly off-tack, but still on the topic of development I took this pic in the tourist area of Limassol the other day.

I know it won't gain Dee's seal of approval, and I have every confidence in the ability of Cyprus architects, but I couldn't help but feel this is one building I wouldn't like to live in in gale force conditions.

Would it, could it, ever blow over :?

20210507_121653.jpeg
Lets hope the elevators keep working, :shock: wouldnt fancy tackling those stairs with my dodgy knee :D
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Lloyd, staying slightly off tack, I agree about the prospect of gales, but I would be even more concerned about the proximity of the Cyprian Arc fault line which lies only a few miles off the coast, which periodically and unpredictably causes seismic events. It seems to be where the northward pressures of the North African plate, and the Anatolian Plate, come into conflict, an on-going and unresolved situation…...
Jon.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That's a really bizarre design. I appreciate construction techniques might have come on some in the last thirty odd years, but when I worked for Mowlem when they were building some of the buildings at Canary Wharf, by far the biggest task was the concrete core which ran up the centre of the tower and housed the lifts. The actual room area was a lot easier. So it seems daft to go to all that effort of building the concrete core then not utilise it to its full potential.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

kingfisher wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:14 am Lloyd, staying slightly off tack, I agree about the prospect of gales, but I would be even more concerned about the proximity of the Cyprian Arc fault line which lies only a few miles off the coast, which periodically and unpredictably causes seismic events. It seems to be where the northward pressures of the North African plate, and the Anatolian Plate, come into conflict, an on-going and unresolved situation…...
Jon.
Im sure most towers are build to earth quake standards, now days.

https://www.news.cyprus-property-buyers ... ds/id=0041
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hopefully it has been built to withstand an earthquake of at least 6 on the Richter scale.
But I wouldn't like to be on a high floor.Once a bad earthquake starts it is virtually impossible to move. Let alone think of using the lift.
I'm not a fan of high rise buildings anyway as HIC knows! But that building seems a strange shape.
Though if designed by a good team( architect and checked by an experienced structural engineer) and built by a top class developer, some designs look much better than others. I lived in Hong Kong for many years on which there were a number of very fine high rises. Say take a look at Hong Kong island where land is at a premium..

Dee
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Have the new high reach firefighting platforms arrived on island yet?
WHL

Post by WHL »

bromerzz wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:44 pm Have the new high reach firefighting platforms arrived on island yet?
Better get a hurry on and invest in one of these bad boys,

Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Haven't seen anything about this in the press. But with the number of high rises being built, particularly in Limassol, it would be very desirable to have the necessary equipment on hand in case of an emergency.

Dee