S1 Form holder in Cyprus - EHIC still valid.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
PolemIan

Re: S1 Form holder in Cyprus - EHIC still valid.

Post by PolemIan »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:34 am OK, so basically my NHS-issued EHIC card is good for nothing. So the next question is, can I obtain a Cyprus-based EHIC card which can be used throughout Europe and maybe the UK? If so, how?
Lloyd, yes you can. Our friends did this a few months ago. Book an appointment at the Citizens Advice Centre, our friends used the one in the district Post Office, get a signed copy of your GESY registration form from your GESY Personal Doctor and take that with you along with copy of passport and MEU document. The process is very quick, you go straight in and avoid the queue outside as you have a pre booked appointment and the card, I think, was issued on the day.

I can’t recall if they told me if the CA staff fill in the form for you, but it’s here and very easy to complete before you go.

https://www.moh.gov.cy/moh/moh.nsf/All/ ... D7003EEFB8

Ian
daveg

Post by daveg »

Went to CAB back in December for Cyprus EHIC card with the correct forms etc ...
Request denied, told to apply for the UK EHIC, this has now duly arrived......
WHL

Post by WHL »

I was under the impression, that the Cyprus EHIC card, was only for people with Cypriot citizenship only.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have been refused a Cyprus EHIC card 3 times
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:05 pm I have been refused a Cyprus EHIC card 3 times
At least no one can accuse you, of not being a trier :lol:
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

https://faq.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/knowledgebase ... 5990/en-us

People who moved to the EU on or before 31 December 2020, whose healthcare costs are funded by the UK under the current EU arrangements (such as those with a UK-issued S1 that has been registered in another member state), can get NHS treatment in England, Scotland or Wales and the treatment will be free unless there is a statutory charge that also applies to residents of that country (for example, prescription charges in England).

You will not need authorisation from the country your S1 is registered in before you get treatment in England, Scotland or Wales.

These arrangements apply to England, Scotland and Wales, but please note that S1 holders cannot use the NHS for free in Northern Ireland.
souniman

Post by souniman »

I renewed my ehic card as an s1 holder
and received the following :
Thank you for your application for a new UK European Health Insurance Card (EHIC).
Your application has been successful.
Your new EHIC will be issued before 31 December 2020. Prior to 1 January 2021, you can continue to use your current EHIC (if you have one) when visiting any country within the EEA or Switzerland, other than the country in which you live and the UK.
You will be able to use your new card as soon as you get it, for travel before the end of 2020 and from 1 January 2021.
From 1 January 2021, you will continue to access healthcare in your country of residence using your S1 entitlement. However, you should use your new EHIC when visiting any other country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. This will provide you with access to medically necessary, state-funded healthcare at the same rate as a resident of that country.
To use your EHIC, you will need to present it to the treatment facility you are attending. Please note, as now, you may be required to pay a patient contribution depending on the country you are receiving treatment in.
If you have not received your new EHIC by 31 December 2020, you can contact us on +44 (0)191 218 1999 and speak to Overseas Healthcare Services for further advice.
For general enquiries, you can use the Ask Us section of our website, visit our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter.
Find out more about your data rights and how we use your information at www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/yourinformation.
Kind regards
Overseas Healthcare Services
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

No. They are for travel within Europe as a UK citizen and wouldn’t now apply. If you are working here and registered to GESY (and not an S1 holder) then you can apply for the Cyprus issued EHIC which will cover you for emergency treatment in Europe but not unfortunately in UK.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:38 pm OMG, I'm more confused than ever now, with seemingly conflicting advice :shock:

My NHS EHIC card is technically valid until July 2023. Does it remain so, or is that now invalid because of Brexit?

If it is still valid, than I can delay doing anything until nearer the time. I do also have an E121.
Les Bean wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:55 pmHic. You are gesy registered, you have a cy medical card, you can get a UK ehic card for use in EU countries, you can get nhs treatment in the uk. Where is the problem.??
I am GESY registered, but to the best of my knowledge do not have a Cy medical card. Though I do have a letter from the Cyprus Ministry of Health certifying thsat I have submitted the document S1 and am therefore not subject to contributions according to xyz Law of 2001. Where do I get a Cy Medical Card from? I guess my doctor?
Let's see if I can make it less confusing:

Your existing EHIC needs to be upgraded to a new one (even though the current one has not expired) as you are an E121 form holder.
Apply here: https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/health ... card-ghic/

E121 is still recognised - just an earlier version of the S1. No need to do anything.

GESY registered - YES (nothing else to do).

Not subject to contributions because you have letter from MOH stating you are a S1 form holder - YES (inform accountant/enter details on Cyprus tax return - nothing else to do).

You get the Cyprus Medical Card from the Citizens Service Centre. You will need ID and SI form to do this (ask when you make appointment).
Not sure if you will be issued one at CSC or if it will be posted from Nicosia.
It will have your name and details and those of your spouse on it and is usually valid for 5 years (may be shorter as card is being phased out).
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:33 pm Thank you to all who contributed. Not that foreign travel is on our immediate plans, but clearly it would make sense for me to contact our GP with regard to getting Cyprus-issued EHICs, even though some say they tried and weren't successful.
The Citizens Service Centre processes the application for the Cyprus EHIC - for this you need your ID and the GESY “Confirmation of Beneficiary Registration to a Personal Doctor Beneficiary List Form”. I understand you can only get a Cyprus issued EHIC if you are paying Social Insurance
and another possibility may be if you are in receipt of a Cyprus state pension.

Well worth sorting it all out sooner rather than when you may need it.
Good Luck!
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Les Bean wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:17 am Sorry, belabouring the point I know, but you've mentioned having both an e121 and an s1, which is it??
Depends on when you claimed the UK State Pension. E121 is the former version of S1.
holitec

Post by holitec »

I received my Cyprus EHIC card a couple of weeks ago, I needed the signed GESY registration form, passport, SI number, plus my MEU form - forgot to take this on day of appointment, so popped back the next day without an appointment - in and out in 15 mins, with new EHIC card.

This was at Polis Citizens Center.

Regards

Digby
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Thank you for the detailed list of information required in order to obtain a Cyprus EHIC - always best if someone who has actually carried out something like this recently can share.
Link to Application Form: https://www.moh.gov.cy/moh/moh.nsf/All/ ... C%2020.pdf