MTN Broadband in A Box

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
mockaji

MTN Broadband in A Box

Post by mockaji »

MTN Broadbsnd in a box.
Has anybody out there have experience with this product?
PaphosAL

Re: MTN Broadband in A Box

Post by PaphosAL »

Here's a link that might help you choose your Broadbsnd (though we all know you really meant Broadband, LOL!...)

http://www.mtn.com.cy/en/general/compan ... -in-a-box/

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
holitec

Post by holitec »

just check the "fair usage policy", for normal internet/emails etc it will be fine, for streaming TV you will hit the limits well within the month!

Most of our TV customers use between 300 and 400GB per month.

Digby
Richard Dastard-Lee

Post by Richard Dastard-Lee »

We bought an MTN Broadband in a box at New Year after getting totally fed up with the unreliability and customer service one of the local Wi-Fi providers.
First of all, we are not resident here all year around and it is the fact that you can turn the service on and off as required that attracted us to it. We come 5 or 6 times a year for between 1 and 3 weeks at a time. So far this is our 3rd time of turning it on and it has been totally reliable as you would expect from using the MTN 4G signal. We have mobiles, book readers, laptops and a TV box connected to it and have found the speed to be good and although we are not big TV watchers we have had no problem with the download limit even though we subscribe to the lowest and cheapest of the 3 plans.

To turn on and off you have to go into an MTN shop, which could be a drawback depending on where you are. Once you turn the service on you have to pay for a whole month but if you turn on during the month you are charged pro-rata. We were here between the 15th and 22nd of February so we were charged for the period 15th to 28th February (13 Euro's). This is much cheaper than the wi-fi service we used to use which was 25 Euro's for a week.
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

I used one while I was waiting for CYTA to install my permanent home internet line. Worked exceptionally well and data packages were very reasonable. In fact, I actually have the MTN/Huwawei router for sale if you're interested as it's surplus to requirements.
mockaji

Post by mockaji »

Goodness me Digby at 400gb per month they must have square eyes!
On average a tv program is approx 1gb per hour, which at 400gb per month thats 8hrs a day watching tv. Off course some will have other downloads, so that will reduce the tv time . With all the rubbish on tv i am surprised anyone can find much more the 2.5hrs per day.
mockaji

Post by mockaji »

Mistake its even worse 12hrs + per day!
holitec

Post by holitec »

I agree, square eyes!

However that is an AVERAGE, some customers use more than 1TB! - I would assume they watch HD. To give an indication of who things have changed, in 2009 our customers used 2.9TB in a year, in 2016 it was well over 300TB, in the first 3 months this year it is just shy of 100TB, so I would assume we will bust 400TB this year.

Regards

Digby