Internet provider

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Internet provider

Post by Dominic »

No, but I've never had a problem with uploads.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Dominic wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:14 pm No, but I've never had a problem with uploads.
It makes a huge difference if you are doing web work... I can't imagine going back now - and not that expensive either...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Not really. The standard upload is fine for me at 1mb/s. if I was uploading lots of videos I would probably feel differently though. So if I ever get good with my drone I may indeed want to upgrade.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

Dominic wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:40 pm Not really. The standard upload is fine for me at 1mb/s. if I was uploading lots of videos I would probably feel differently though. So if I ever get good with my drone I may indeed want to upgrade.
Don't mention drones to grump... :P
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Maverick wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:05 am
Dominic wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:40 pm Not really. The standard upload is fine for me at 1mb/s. if I was uploading lots of videos I would probably feel differently though. So if I ever get good with my drone I may indeed want to upgrade.
Don't mention drones to grump... :P
:evil:
Miyagi

Post by Miyagi »

I'm in Paphos and I had Citycell a few years ago, initially, they provide good service with good signal but after a year or so both were poor and gone down hill. I now have Cytanet as IPS with no telephone. I come to my apartment about 4/5 times a year for 4/6 weeks stay at a time. I can connect/disconnect anytime with no hassles at all.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Miyagi wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:19 pm ... I now have Cytanet as IPS with no telephone. I come to my apartment about 4/5 times a year for 4/6 weeks stay at a time. I can connect/disconnect anytime with no hassles at all.
This on the Cyta site -
Temporary Disconnection Subscription / from € 5,95 / Monthly
Reconnection Fee / from € 5,95 / Once Off

https://www.cyta.com.cy/internet-discon ... ections/en

So being in and out for say two months at a time might cost you 50 euros or so a year in charges.
Anybody know the temporary disconnection charges for Bluenet and Netcom??
cyprussam

Post by cyprussam »

Hello

I went with Netcom
The holitex dish was ok, but i needed a new router E25 and new cable from roof to hous E20 as old one was sunburned
One month free 9meg internet
used 1 week and still have 3 weeks left for next visit
just emaild to say going home ant they switch off
good internet no dropouts like holitex
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

cyprussam wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:00 pm Hello

I went with Netcom
...just emaild to say going home ant they switch off
good internet no dropouts like holitex
Please - what are the disconnection, reconnection charges, if any?

[I've just emailed both netcom and bluenet for details on charges. We'll see if / when I get a reply]
cyprussam

Post by cyprussam »

they dont say anything about charges
i hope nothing
Big Al

Post by Big Al »

None of the wireless providers charge for connection or disconnection, you just have to find a good one, that's the hard part
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

I got a reply from Bluenet and Netcom.
Somebody suggested above that Cyta are good if you spend all your time in Cyprus. Probably some other providers also.
But -
and what this thread was basically about -
for people who visit Paphos on a more "occasional" basis and don't want to pay for internet for the full 12 months in a year, Cyta probably works out more expensive due to the connection and "temporary disconnection" charges - see a few posts up, with a link to their website.

So for people who want to "switch off" their internet service for a month or two at a time, during the course of the year, then Netcom and Bluenet seem the cheapest option.

Bluenet charge - Antena installation is 99 € +40€ router +1 months free trial 3Mbps only
No deposit /No limit /No telephone line /No contract /You can frozen the service any time

is what they wrote to me.

Netcom charge 120 + 25. We confirm that disconnection and reconnection is no charge and you can do it as much as you want. quote.

Services from both start at 15 euros a month, if my memory serves me correctly..

So if CyprusSam went with Netcom, I'll probably try out Bluenet ) We'll see...

P.S. Just noted on the Bluenet website -
WE SPEEK: ENGLISH, RUSSIAN, POLISH I just luv it!
rlbenson

Re: Internet provider - on/off service

Post by rlbenson »

Hello;

In case there is still interest in this topic, we have used Logosnet for quite awhile for occasional visits to our place in Anarita. They created a turn on-turnoff service for us early on when Cyta nor anyone else offered it. It has worked just fine. The way the on/off service works is basically a €7.50 charge each way - €7.50 for turning it on and same again for turning it off (it used to be €5.00). The restriction is that if you leave it off longer than 6 months you will be charged a new installation/set-up fee. Like many services they rent the capacity from Cyta and these are Cyta's conditions to Logosnet. They just pass it on.

The minimum billing is for a month at a time. So if we are out for 3 weeks we pay for a month plus on/off fee. If out for 5 weeks then it's 2 months billed. Their current plans are here: http://logosnet.cy.net/adslvdsl/ The on/off isn't advertised I believe so you just need to call them and ask. Currently we have 16 down and 1 up for €40.00 month (plus €15.00 for on and off). Real world performance is usually around 12-13 down and 0.8 up. So not too bad considering the infrastructure. We do not have a telephone service with this so no monthly line fee. I believe they can still provide an IP telephone number and appropriate modem in the package but am not sure about this.

Since we are out 3-4 times a year for up to 3 weeks at a time, this suits us quite well. We tried CityCell before this but it was not at all satisfactory - slow speed, poor connection since we sit in a valley, and only one connection at a time.

For what it's worth... :)