Parliament votes tougher fines for drivers

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Re: Parliament votes tougher fines for drivers

Post by WHL »

Jim B wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:24 pm I set mine at 116 KPH and been through lots of speed traps and never been stopped. It's as Kansas said, the police allow up to 120 according to my Cypriot relations that's why you see most Cypriots going over the speed limit, especially commercial vehicles.

Many countries do that, go the UAE the speed limit is 120KPH but you dont get a ticket until you reach 146KPH and Egypt is the same.

Jim
Why did I get nicked, for doing 110 then,
the law is 100, maybe using their discretion,
unfortunately for me he went by the letter of the law and nicked me.
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

So what's the point of governments setting the various speed limits on different roads when apparently everyone knows that you can exceed them at will. It makes a mockery of the whole safety issue!

I was stopped once by the SBA police near the salt lake as I was driving over the 45kph speed limit near to a gated SBA entrance. I'd never seen a limit of 45 on the island before & I must have missed the sign, but sure enough I saw it on my return journey. Fortunately all I got was a written warning.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Ahhh, the SBA is a totally different board game. You mainly find SBA speed traps by the tunnel and I always slow down to 80KPH going through there as the sign says and also stick to the speed limits in SB areas.
I think it was five speed traps I went through doing 116 going to and from Limmasol on Saturday and the cars passing me weren't stopped either.
Now you may hold your hands up in horror but who's more dangerous, someone who goes with the flow or someone who insists on driving twenty kicks slower than every one else.
It's the Police who prosecute the law, not me.

Jim

p.s. WHL. You weren't lippy were you? ;-)

Dominic. Cruise Control, only way to go.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jim B wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:35 pm Ahhh, the SBA is a totally different board game. You mainly find SBA speed traps by the tunnel and I always slow down to 80KPH going through there as the sign says and also stick to the speed limits in SB areas.
I think it was five speed traps I went through doing 116 going to and from Limmasol on Saturday and the cars passing me weren't stopped either.
Now you may hold your hands up in horror but who's more dangerous, someone who goes with the flow or someone who insists on driving twenty kicks slower than every one else.
It's the Police who prosecute the law, not me.

Jim

p.s. WHL. You weren't lippy were you? ;-)

Dominic. Cruise Control, only way to go.
Never lippy, were its going to cost me money, :lol: the copper was already punching numbers into his machine before he even said kalimera :shock:
boycott

Post by boycott »

In Limassol quite a few of the so called traffic Police cars are now fitted with ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) which checks whether the vehicle has the required legal documents at that time.

I have seen a number of them plying their trade at various spots waiting for customers.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I think in general the police here know the Cypriot mind and know the Cypriot drivers are going to exceed the speed limits no matter what it is so the roads have, in general, low speed limits.
The authorities know if they post 120, everyone will drive at 140 so they have a limit of 100 and most drive at 120, anyone above that will get stopped and fined.
You only have to look at some of the main roads and the speed limits are very low.

Jim