Another huge church- but what a location!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
kingfisher

Another huge church- but what a location!

Post by kingfisher »

This morning while taking the dog on a hike over the hills between Mellissovounos and Koili, at over 2000 feet, I was astonished to see a huge construction project underway in the middle of nowhere. It turned out to be positioned over the remains of a little church which had fallen down years ago- a favourite place of mine- where I had scattered my mother’s ashes. The building foreman confirmed it was to be a new church.
When I first walked this way regularly twelve years ago, I would routinely see long-legged buzzards, peregrine falcons and occasionally Bonelli’s eagles. It was once a lovely wild spot, but encroachment on this scale will spell the end. The views at this point are truly panoramic- the snow covered Troodos to the north, Coral Bay to the south, the windfarm towards Limassol, and the hills of the Akamas to the west.
I cannot for the life of me see why another church is needed and particularly on this remote and magical spot. They have not long ago built a huge church in Tala, although there are to my knowledge at least four churches already. Access is via a track, unless they turn it into a road. And incidentally, I thought Cyprus still owed a lot of money....
smudger

Re: Another huge church- but what a location!

Post by smudger »

This sounds quite a shame to me, have to say the remote location of many churches I've seen in Cyprus puzzle me. It's difficult to see where the attendees come from and often how they even get into them, perched on such high ground sometimes and seemingly virtually inaccessible!
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It's all about keeping the land.... nothing to do with needing a church ;-)
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

If you take a boat trip to the blue lagoon from latchi there are many churches on the akamas which seem inaccessible
I wonder if they are ever supported
garry
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:26 pm I'm not sure that any of us 'guests' in Cyprus has the right to tell the Greek Orthodox Church, or congregations who attend the churches, what they should or should not be doing...and determine whether or not a new church is needed.

Those people who complain might be equally unhappy if they lived in the UK, and newly-arrived immigrants started expressing similiar views with regard to infrastructure projects within the UK. There are so many beautiful churches in Cyprus, which are a delight to see. I particularly like to see very small family churches which are invariably dotted around the countryside. A reminder too of Cyprus's religeous and cultural heritage.
Dead right. There are numerous Parish Churches all over the UK rarely used or with just a handful of parishoners.
Similar to the situation here - non of our (Expats) business.
Geoff.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Happy in Cyprus- I am not telling anyone what to do. I understood forums were for expressing opinions. Like you I love to see little traditional churches dotted around the Cyprus countryside- the newly built places are not especially beautiful, and this is completely out of context on unspoiled moorland. That, and the environmental issues, were the opinions I expressed.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

The little churches are beautiful, I agree..... we had 3 in our village.

Then they went and built a huge monster a few years back and painted it - orange :-(
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
johnoddy

Post by johnoddy »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:26 pm I'm not sure that any of us 'guests' in Cyprus has the right to tell the Greek Orthodox Church, or congregations who attend the churches, what they should or should not be doing...and determine whether or not a new church is needed.

Those people who complain might be equally unhappy if they lived in the UK, and newly-arrived immigrants started expressing similiar views with regard to infrastructure projects within the UK. There are so many beautiful churches in Cyprus, which are a delight to see. I particularly like to see very small family churches which are invariably dotted around the countryside. A reminder too of Cyprus's religeous and cultural heritage.

I, too, am in the strange and confusing place of actually agreeing with you. (note to oneself; John, go have a lie down)
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

I too agree with HIC on this one - the churches are pretty, symbolic and part of the culture of Cyprus long may it remain thus.

Rita
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:34 pm Let me get this right Geoff...you actually agree with me on something :lol:
I often do, but I don't always tell you in case it goes to your head.
Geoff.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Apparently there are over 100 churches in the Akamas. I blogged about what I think is the remotest one here:

https://www.paphoslife.com/blog/akamas_church
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Well at least we're all agreed that the traditional churches are beautiful, even if I do continue to maintain that as a local voter and property tax payer I may respectfully voice an opinion on new local infrastructure projects such as the above. Why not go up and have a look at it- the views are breathtaking!
As the Romans used to say: "Quot homines tot sententiae"......
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well clearly it isn't racism, as Islam isn't a race. If anything, it is Islamophobia. I don't remember anybody complaining when the Church of Latter Day Saints started springing up all over the place.

And besides, given that the population of the UK seems to be coming less religious, why do people care? Mosques go out of their way to have open days and the like, to try and introduce themselves to non muslims. Very few people who moan about them ever seem to bother to attend.

Actually, thinking about it, it isn't even Islamophobia. In the UK we lived near Aldershot. There they have a sizeable population of Nepalese, and some people objected to their building a Buddhist temple. They paid for it themselves, by renovating a building that had been abandoned for ages, and turning an eyesore into a lovely place. It was quite comical. It is right next to the football stadium, and people complained that there would be nowhere for them to park, despite the fact that fans of Aldershot FC (doing pretty well this season!) have no problems with parking.

Some people just don't like change.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

The positive is that without this church being built I would not have known about this place or its spectacular beauty. What nicer way to discover new areas! A Cypriot pastime on Sunday afternoons and holidays is to visit churches. We also do this wherever we are on the island and have found some fabulous places. So it will add to the list for everyone to enjoy.

Don't forget that the church will be paying for this and not the government. Another thought is that it may be a new and needed monastery hence the preferred remote location.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Lofos-Jan wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:10 am The positive is that without this church being built I would not have known about this place or its spectacular beauty. What nicer way to discover new areas! A Cypriot pastime on Sunday afternoons and holidays is to visit churches. We also do this wherever we are on the island and have found some fabulous places. So it will add to the list for everyone to enjoy.

Don't forget that the church will be paying for this and not the government. Another thought is that it may be a new and needed monastery hence the preferred remote location.

Jeanne
Don't forget that the church owes millions of euros in tax!
Geoff.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Yes but as a Christian nation and in true Christian spirit, they are forgiven :D
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
keving

Post by keving »

Next time any of you are in London consider visiting Shri Swaminarayan Mandir, a Hindu temple in north London built in 1995. Its a really beautiful building and stunning inside. Open to visitors ...
Attachments
baps-shri-swaminarayan.jpg
baps-shri-swaminarayan.jpg (48.2 KiB) Viewed 3581 times
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:49 am
geoffreys wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:21 amDon't forget that the church owes millions of euros in tax! Geoff.
Could be wrong, but I think those taxes are disputed.

In all events, from what I remember, in the melt-down crisis of 2013 the Church donated a very substantial sum to the government to help it out.
The amount owed is in dispute, but it is still millions either way.
The Church's donation did not offset their tax bill - but it was most welcome I am sure.
Geoff.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

@Yogi, Your topic “ New Building above Tala…” is an enquiry about this project. My original title is a slight misnomer, since the early stages of construction indicated a larger structure than is now in place, being actually the boundary wall footings.

I did enquire at the nearby Monastery of Agios Neophytos, many years ago, when the site was then only marked by some tumble-down ruins with a little votive box containing a candle, and they told me the saint’s name, which I forget. They confirmed it was the site of a very old church.

There is another restored church above the monastery which is nearing completion, and quite close to the above mentioned. Again, all that marked the site a decade ago was a votive box with some tapers, candles and oil. This site was completely lost in dense vegetation and was discovered by my hunting dog.
I did not re-visit it until last year, when I was astonished to find there a beautifully re-constructed traditional church built mainly in local stone. The Monastery are presently building [or rather, restoring] a steep ascent from behind the Monastery which will give access to this church. Currently access is through the monastery kitchen gardens, which are not open to the public.
I am delighted to see both of these lovely restored buildings, and confess to having “gone off half- cocked” three years ago when I feared we were getting yet another “cathedral” similar to the new one in Tala village, only plonked on top of Melissovounos! I should have known they don’t do that sort of thing in Cyprus!
Jon
Yogi

Post by Yogi »

Thanks for the response Jon. I didn’t realise it had been going on so long as it has only become visible to me since the back end of last year. The dome has started to appear to us this year. I agree on the location, the views must be spectacular from there. It will be good to see it when it is complete. After lockdown has finished I will go up there with my dog to have a look. Thanks