Government says it will not interfere over rape claim guilty verdict, protests planned

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Andros

Re: Government says it will not interfere over rape claim guilty verdict, protests planned

Post by Andros »

This poor young lady will suffer for the rest of her life my heart goes out to her and her family!

A similar thing happened here a few years back when a young lady finally confessed to having been sexually abused by her stepfather. She was treated like a prostitute by the police and went through a trial whereby everyone was put through gruelling cross examinations. All but the accused who had the choice to remain silent, be cross examined or to make a statement! The trial was a farce! The accused was released without charge, the story goes on! The young lady was told she had no right of appeal! She found out too late that every case has the right of appeal!
Some time later it was confirmed that the stepfather had committed abuse in the past but was not prosecuted!
The young lady in question has to live with everyone knowing about the case, this has affected her psychologically. While the accused has reinvented his life.
There are a lot of things that need to change particularly the way people are treated when they find the courage to go to the police!
Kili01

Re: Government says it will not interfere over rape claim guilty verdict, protests planned

Post by Kili01 »

Andros,
What a sensible post.I remember at least one case where a young girl was abused for years my her ‘Uncle’ who sometimes was the babysitter. It happens sometimes in local families but is usually ‘hushed up’ and stays within the family. Mostly the victims are far too scared to go to the police.
It seems that among some local men rape isn’t deemed to be a serious offence and the law seems to take the same view.
It would be a good thing if as a result of the current trial of the English girl and the huge international publicity generated, the legal way of conducting rape trials in Cyprus was improved. Certainly, the welfare of a victim who reports a rape or attempted rape should be important. Access to a lawyer should be mandatory and perhaps a female police officer be present in the room when a victim is being examined or questioned.
Dee
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Almost all sexual abusers and paedophiles are known by the victim... sadly, family members abusing is all too common and I think only in this generation are children not innocent enough not to perhaps do something abut it, if they can. Sadly, few believe the victim, including parents/siblings or other relations. Abuse was thought too unbelievable to have been committed. That’s why in many cases, abusers got off. Britain and most of Europe now have half-decent ways of dealing with rape victims, but still not perfect. Sadly, Cyprus is behind, in this and many other areas, such as racism, homophobia etc. However, we need to near in mind that this girl ‘may’ not have been raped. I dont think enough is known to conclude that. Certainly not what Ive seen.
Andros

Post by Andros »

Hi Dee

the accused should not have the right NOT to be cross examined, when a young lady has had the courage to stand up to her abuser to be persecuted by the law system is enough to cause severe distress especially when they find out that their abuser has the right to remain silent.
What this girl went through, being abused by someone she initially trusted and loved as a father figure for years, only to be let down by the legal system is unbelievable.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hi Andros
That's terrible. Can only agree with you.
Didn't know that previously. Wonder will anything change in the way that rape cases are viewed here?

This attitude is something which all young girls should be aware of,especially, young, female visitors...
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:19 pm Almost all sexual abusers and paedophiles are known by the victim... sadly, family members abusing is all too common and I think only in this generation are children not innocent enough not to perhaps do something abut it, if they can. Sadly, few believe the victim, including parents/siblings or other relations. Abuse was thought too unbelievable to have been committed. That’s why in many cases, abusers got off. Britain and most of Europe now have half-decent ways of dealing with rape victims, but still not perfect. Sadly, Cyprus is behind, in this and many other areas, such as racism, homophobia etc. However, we need to near in mind that this girl ‘may’ not have been raped. I dont think enough is known to conclude that. Certainly not what Ive seen.
I think you have a rose-tinted view of how Britain treats rape victims. Conviction rates are appalling.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Austin7 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 am
Les Bean wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:09 am..... this girl has a modern attitude to sex

Now there's a whole new topic that could run and run .. but I don't think I'll start it though, I might get into serious trouble! :lol:
Aye, shut your trap whilst the goings good AR. 🤣

Kili01. I really like and enjoy your well balanced posts. (Apart from calling the young lady a silly young girl).

WHL. You're needing your arse skelped occassionaly. 🤐

MB
WHL

Post by WHL »

Maggie B wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:41 pm
Austin7 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:24 am
Les Bean wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:09 am..... this girl has a modern attitude to sex

Now there's a whole new topic that could run and run .. but I don't think I'll start it though, I might get into serious trouble! :lol:
Aye, shut your trap whilst the goings good AR. 🤣

Kili01. I really like and enjoy your well balanced posts. (Apart from calling the young lady a silly young girl).

WHL. You're needing your arse skelped occassionaly. 🤐

MB
Spanking your thing, is it ?
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

Nope WHL.

MB
WHL

Post by WHL »

Maggie B wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:40 pm Nope WHL.

MB
Shame :lol:
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:06 pmIt seems that among some local men rape isn’t deemed to be a serious offence and the law seems to take the same view.
I think that's a bit of a stretch.
Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:19 pmBritain and most of Europe now have half-decent ways of dealing with rape victims, but still not perfect.
I would imagine that the vast majority of rape victims in the UK would certainly disagree - probably because something like 98% never see justice after going to the police and reporting a rape.
Andros wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:00 pmthe accused should not have the right NOT to be cross examined
As the legal system is based on the UK legal system then you will find that in the UK the accused has the same right - not to answer questions either prior to or during a court case. It certainly is annoying when you see questioning and they give a "no comment" interview - just repeatedly saying the same thing to every question posed - usually on legal advice.

There are certainly things that need reviewing and changing in the Cyprus legal system - without a doubt it needs to be modernised and quickly.

However not all the facts of the case have been covered by the press and certainly not why the Judge arrived at the decision he did - whether we agree with his reasoning or not.

Cheers

Steve
WHL

Post by WHL »

Steve - SJD wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:13 am
Kili01 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:06 pmIt seems that among some local men rape isn’t deemed to be a serious offence and the law seems to take the same view.
I think that's a bit of a stretch.
Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:19 pmBritain and most of Europe now have half-decent ways of dealing with rape victims, but still not perfect.
I would imagine that the vast majority of rape victims in the UK would certainly disagree - probably because something like 98% never see justice after going to the police and reporting a rape.
Andros wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:00 pmthe accused should not have the right NOT to be cross examined
As the legal system is based on the UK legal system then you will find that in the UK the accused has the same right - not to answer questions either prior to or during a court case. It certainly is annoying when you see questioning and they give a "no comment" interview - just repeatedly saying the same thing to every question posed - usually on legal advice.

There are certainly things that need reviewing and changing in the Cyprus legal system - without a doubt it needs to be modernised and quickly.

However not all the facts of the case have been covered by the press and certainly not why the Judge arrived at the decision he did - whether we agree with his reasoning or not.

Cheers

Steve
Steve, that is a very balanced and sensible post.
Andros

Post by Andros »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:06 pm Andros,
What a sensible post.I remember at least one case where a young girl was abused for years my her ‘Uncle’ who sometimes was the babysitter. It happens sometimes in local families but is usually ‘hushed up’ and stays within the family. Mostly the victims are far too scared to go to the police.
It seems that among some local men rape isn’t deemed to be a serious offence and the law seems to take the same view.
It would be a good thing if as a result of the current trial of the English girl and the huge international publicity generated, the legal way of conducting rape trials in Cyprus was improved. Certainly, the welfare of a victim who reports a rape or attempted rape should be important. Access to a lawyer should be mandatory and perhaps a female police officer be present in the room when a victim is being examined or questioned.
Dee
Andros

Post by Andros »

Hi Dee,

At least the authorities have done some good by jailing someone for abuse which took place in 1986 to 1987! The sentence still isn’t long enough in my opinion but I am sure this will be life changing for him and will hopefully bring some peace to the young lady who was subjected to this terrible crime against her ❤️
https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/01/08/pens ... e-charges/
Andros

Post by Andros »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:17 pm Hi Andros
That's terrible. Can only agree with you.
Didn't know that previously. Wonder will anything change in the way that rape cases are viewed here?

This attitude is something which all young girls should be aware of,especially, young, female visitors...
Dee
Hi Dee
There is a possibility that if the courts fail the victims, then at least there is an option to make a civil claim! Even for historical abuse! We are hoping the other stepdaughter will press charges but if this is too painful for her maybe a civil action would be the road to take.
The sad fact is that so many abused children don’t tell as they are mentally abused as well as physically.
My friends daughter in the UK was terrified as her abuser told her that her mother would kill herself and it would be her fault if she told anyone. In this sad case, her friend tried to commit suicide and told the hospital that the abuser also abused 4 of her school friends. This was reported to children’s services who then informed the police. In this case, the abuser received 12 years.
I just can’t understand why men and women think it is ok to take away a child’s innocence and subsequently subject them to a life of depression, self disgust and make their lives a living hell. Some never recover, others manage to live their lives but the memories never disappear. So very sad 😢
Andros

Post by Andros »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:50 pm
Dominic wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:14 pm Both of you, agree to differ. Dee, if you resent how WHL talks about you, don't talk about him. WHL, if you have told somebody once you have no idea why they live here, there's no need to say it again.

For what it's worth, Dee, I think you can be overly critical of Cyprus at times, and WHL I think you can be overly defensive. Perhaps this is why the two of you rub each other up the wrong way so much?
I think to be critical of Cyprus and its people has its limits. When you decided to stay for good here, like me since 1971 after spending 2 holidays at Kyrenia area, you have to accept that there are things different than in an perfect world. (where is this place?) In all this years many things happened to me, which were not nice, but I would not make it public to social media, because I feel Cyprus is my home country where I want to be buried. Many posts here, but from only a few people, upset me, when it is only critical about Cyprus. Some posters think they know something about the place because they live here 20 years or so, but in reality they get their information from a really poor, cheap press or from other expats unhappy here or already back in their home country. This includes also a lot of fake news which are nowadays easy to produce...
I can understand the comments from WHL if he feels the same like me, that Cyprus is his home now and don't accept permanent moaning about it.
One can complain about the rubbish dumped around the villages and along the roads, but it is much much better already than 40 years ago when even the Paphos town rubbish collection cars were dumping the stuff next to the Turtle Beach in Akamas. There are recycling places installed in many villages and looked after.
There is a hunting season, yes, I don't like it, but the same is also in many EU countries as well and also this is getting better specially by removing the lime stick and net trapping of birds.
Our roads in the countrysides improved significant from dirt tracks and you needed 4x4, to concrete roads now and if the motorway towards Polis is ready everyone will see the advantages. Reduced numbers of eagles etc are not because they are disturbed by road works but luck of food they could find in the past near the village dumps. I saw hundreds of them in the 80' when I toured through Paphos/Limassol villages.
Sometimes it is necessary to continue with tourist projects, like new high class hotels, even when the area is from archaeological interest, to change the Paphos tourism from cheap "all inclusive", into a high class one and protect the ancient site in the same moment, as there will be enough money available to do so.
Most of the houses, apartments, and hotels in Kato Paphos were built on top of caves etc in the past without any question, but now it is a big story mainly political parties try to get attention. (Greens, Communists)

So this could go on and on....

The biggest disadvantage IMO in Cyprus is still the very poor and slow legal system which did not change unfortunately in the last 30 years or so. I am plaintiff in 3 cases since 1994 and beside my Nicosia Lawyer died in the meantime they are adjourned every six month and two lawyers can't do nothing about it..

Max

Brilliant news article, maybe times are changing!
https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/01/27/supr ... l-assault/
Asteri

Post by Asteri »

https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/03/20/man- ... -27-years/

At last we see a correct sentence! How many walk free! Anyone who takes away a child’s innocence and childhood deserves to rot behind bars!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Should put a bullet into his scummy head, that's the correct sentence
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:28 pm Correct sentence ? - I think not, the article, followed by the readers comments, says he will be out in 3 years.
I have read the article but not the readers' comments, which are usually totally uninformed. There is no way that this sub- human will be out of clink in three years.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Austin7 wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:28 pm Correct sentence ? - I think not, the article, followed by the readers comments, says he will be out in 3 years.
Cyprus Mail reader comments are completely awful. Some very strange people post there, and I am surprised that Cyprus Mail don't moderate it.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.