Kefir

The place to share recipes and ask for advice.
altosax1

Kefir

Post by altosax1 »

Does anyone know where I can get Kefir milk grains in the Paphos area? I've been buying prepared Kefir from the local supermarkets, but I am told it is much better to make your own.
Nick
OhSusana

Re: Kefir

Post by OhSusana »

I just bought two bottles of kefir today. I've never thought of growing it from grains. I haven't seen grains for sale in the Paphos area, but you could simply bring some from the UK. One thought - Kefir is very popular in Russia. So maybe a shop on Russian street sells grains? In Russian kefir is spelt the same way as in Greek (basically).
Second thought - you can make your own kefir by using store bought kefir.
altosax1

Re: Kefir

Post by altosax1 »

Thanks for replying. I've also been buying from local shops, but I thought making one's own Kefir would be cheaper and possibly better! I have made some myself by putting a dollop of shop bought kefir into a glass of milk and leaving at room temperature for a day or so. It did work but the result was less strong than the original.
It never crossed my mind to try the Russian shops, I will look into this! I know that Kefir was supposed to have originated in the Caucasus, so there is the Russian connection.
Thank you again!
Nick