SOS TV

Everything to do with I.T, T.V, and telephony.
holitec

Re: SOS TV

Post by holitec »

to be fair, S, SOS and others are only agents, they do not supply the service - only one service provider has been effected, but with several agents all over the island.

If they had not had custom software on their boxes and set the portal to their own, they could have redirected the portal to another supplier very quickly - just a quick call to ask customers to reboot the box and they would have been ok and working with their new provider.

Digby
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Just a thought, but during this TV crisis in Cyprus, can you guys 'n gals access BBC, ITV and All 4 players online?

There's a wealth of drama, docs, box sets etc to watch. Might need VPN for viewing out of the UK, though... This afternoon, I was on All 4 Player watching "Guy Martin- Last Vulcan bomber flight". Fascinating (and tear-jerking) documentary.

HD quality through my 24" monitor / HDMI connection, too! Downside is, All 4 still insists you have Ads on catchup, doh...

AL :D
Gone but not forgotten...
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We can get the iPlayers and on demand programs here,
but as you mention we need a VPN or similar.
Trev..
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

Is this a step backwards: This morning cannot bring up the menu...which means cannot access the radio!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

On the bright side, it shows that somebody somewhere is working on it.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

Forever the optimist...Maybe working on keeping it closed down is more likely to be the case..These predicted dates of its return are starting to come and go. Heard yesterday that the police are going to start targeting bars using these services and imposing heafty fines.
Lazydaze52

Post by Lazydaze52 »

Our provider has been in touch saying we will be up and running again by Tuesday
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Well it does not look good on our SOS system this morning. After 'loading portal' all I get is a black screen !!
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:01 pm I’m investigating a few new options.... Plus a VPN router to ‘hide’ the source and me..... I think IPTV will continue to be occasionally thwarted and a VPN to a source far way, may be safest bet.
check out VPN unlimited...excellent
WHL

Post by WHL »

The fact that the courts have remanded the suspects, shows you,that they are taking it seriously....Nova etc are paying a big bunch of money for the football rights to Greece and Cyprus, and will keep up the pressure on the authorities to continue their crackdown..next Pubs and Bars are easy targets, ...as Ive said dont give your cash to Cyprus based providers,...look further afield....Google will let you know whats out there.
http://cyprus-mail.com/2018/01/18/reman ... -suspects/
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

One part of my (temporarily) defunct Magbox is coming in useful as I can use the lead to connect my computer to the television so at least everything is a decent size!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Just had a telephone call from Brian at SOS. The supplier to him is still working on it. So we shall hang on for a bit longer. :D He did offer to put us on another system but it would not be as good as the full package that we have/had now.
All things are possible
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Ditto Galexinda, am doing the same. It's amazing the number of full length films on You Tube. Watched A Night to Remember last night starring Kenneth Moore which I remember seeing as a kid at the Odeon at Hounslow West ( which is now an Indian supermarket!) !! For 1958 the visual effects of the Titanic sinking are really very good and I enjoy Kenneth Moore's old films anyway. Double bill tonight Reach for the Sky as well as Hitchcock's first Hollywood thriller The Lady Vanishes. I'm quite enjoying life without the Mag box !! Cheers Mike
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Folks, as I said before, I have a system in the UK and the same one in Cyprus. UK one now working, albeit catching and films not yet. Menus now fully operaitonal and all channels. Nothing in Cyprus. I’m sure its a localised acccess issue they will resolve.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I’ve also looked at some other providers and catchup and films are never as good as the one I currently use.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Just tried my magbox for first time in a week ( was otherwise indisposed, not in jail )
and it looks like I have all channels playing.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Am very happy mm that your mag works OK, am however concerned that in the long term issues will continue.

I hope and pray I am wrong.
vic 1

Post by vic 1 »

mm can you pm who you are with mine still not working
Vic
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I've got a facebook friend in Fuerteventura and they have had no tv for over a week either
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

memory man wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:19 pm Just tried my magbox for first time in a week ( was otherwise indisposed, not in jail )
and it looks like I have all channels playing.
MM can you pm me your supplier. TIA
All things are possible