Mo Farah

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Rita Sherry

Re: Mo Farah

Post by Rita Sherry »

Loxely Man wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:33 pm Zola Budd was South African but they quickly gave her a British passport so the she could run in the Olympics for the UK, also look how many Africans were running under Arab state colours.
Zola Budd was born in South Africa but had a British grandfather and as such, under South African Law, she could could apply for dual citizenship or British Citizenship but only when she reached the age of 18 (her majority). This she did. At the time she could not represent South Africa as that country was barred from entry due to their still apartheid policy. She married an American and went to live in the USA. She later returned to South Africa and did represent that country on a few occasions when the ban had been lifted. It is however true to say there was a lot of support and lobbying from the Daily Mail to give priority consideration to her application in order that she could compete in the Olympics.

Rita
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

PaphosAL wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:04 pm Explain, pleeeeeze?

Thanks- AL :?
A bit cruel really but anyway...

Ugly has hell but goes like the clappers
or
Ugly but what a runner
Last edited by bromerzz on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Rita - good posts!
Royal

Post by Royal »

Rita Sherry wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:26 pmFor Gods sake leave the man alone.

Rita
Agreed. Good post.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Nice one Rita! Zola Budd was a true athlete, who stilll lives on in my memories to this day!

Here's her history, from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zola_Budd

She's still alive 'n kicking, seemingly?

Cheers- AL :)
Gone but not forgotten...
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

Royal wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:14 pm
However, I also suppose that, like anything, it depends on how you interpret the original question. Sally Gunnel for example for the 400 metres won Commonwealth Gold in 1990, Olympic Gold in 1992, World Championship Gold in 1993. Then in 1994, she went on to win World Cup Gold, European Championship Gold and Commonwealth Games Gold. A stunning achievement!
Wasn't sally Gunnel's event the 400 metre hurdles or am I thinking of David Emery?
Royal

Post by Royal »

Loxely Man wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:05 pm
Royal wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:14 pm
However, I also suppose that, like anything, it depends on how you interpret the original question. Sally Gunnel for example for the 400 metres won Commonwealth Gold in 1990, Olympic Gold in 1992, World Championship Gold in 1993. Then in 1994, she went on to win World Cup Gold, European Championship Gold and Commonwealth Games Gold. A stunning achievement!
Wasn't sally Gunnel's event the 400 metre hurdles or am I thinking of David Emery?
Yes - 400M hurdles and 4 x 400M relay.
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

"Cake and eat it " comes to mind wants to be seen as British...but is a tax exile paying tax in the U.S.A...Step up Paula Radcliffe banging on about being British, but chooses to pay her tax in Monaco.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

Reesy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:15 pm "Cake and eat it " comes to mind wants to be seen as British...but is a tax exile paying tax in the U.S.A...Step up Paula Radcliffe banging on about being British, but chooses to pay her tax in Monaco.
Like I said further up, regarding our British F1 stars (risking their lives) also haven chosen to domicile themselves in Monaco, or Switzerland... Fair enough, they earn meggabucks for doing what they do (or did) while they are young.

A slice of that annual salary they earn goes to their accountant, whose job it is to advise them on the best place to reside (domicile-wise) in order to pay the least amount of tax possible, legally and legitimately, where they decide to reside.

What on earth is the problem, when these people don't live in the UK, and spend half of each year travelling around the world to perform their stuff in front of massive multi-million $$$ TV audiences and associated Advert income?

AL- :?
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

PaphosAL wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:47 pm
Reesy wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:15 pm "Cake and eat it " comes to mind wants to be seen as British...but is a tax exile paying tax in the U.S.A...Step up Paula Radcliffe banging on about being British, but chooses to pay her tax in Monaco.
Like I said further up, regarding our British F1 stars (risking their lives) also haven chosen to domicile themselves in Monaco, or Switzerland... Fair enough, they earn meggabucks for doing what they do (or did) while they are young.

A slice of that annual salary they earn goes to their accountant, whose job it is to advise them on the best place to reside (domicile-wise) in order to pay the least amount of tax possible, legally and legitimately, where they decide to reside.

What on earth is the problem, when these people don't live in the UK, and spend half of each year travelling around the world to perform their stuff in front of massive multi-million $$$ TV audiences and associated Advert income?

AL- :?
Envy Al pure envy and humbug

Rita
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

The problem is that it is wrong & immoral ................. but until we come up with an alternative system we have to put up with individuals earning extortionate amounts of money! How can someone be worth x amount of millions for kicking a football or batting a ball backwards & forwards over a net, etc?

Shane
smudger

Post by smudger »

I'd like to think that if I ever made it into the big time and earned the mega money that many of these jocks are earning I would want to give something back. Ha! Instead of using evety loophole in the bible to get out of repaying any dues to my country.

I don't give a toss what they're doing to earn their megabucks, payback is payback and these low lifes need to get real, they really aren't the pseudo gods they think they are. Especially Hamilton. In Schumie's shoes????? Don't think so mate.
PaphosAL

Post by PaphosAL »

It's not the sports guy or woman who decides these things, Jacs. It's their managers on a nice 10% contractural cut, then in turn a bona fidé Accountant to legalize the setup.

As a retired Accountant yourself, surely you understand the main remit of the accountant you hired is to maximize your net income, minimize your tax bill, legally and within the framework of the law?

Cheers- AL ;)
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Most of us posters on this forum are British Ex Pats and under the law of both Cyprus and the UK if we live here for more than the prescribed time limit are obliged to register for tax (if applicable to earnings) to be paid either in the UK or here in Cyprus. Most will have opted for the benefit Cyprus confers of paying less than the UK so is this choice any less immoral than those sport athletes who choose to train overseas and possibly, but not necessarily, have the advantage of a lower tax liability? Think about it before we accuse others adopting the same choice when following their chosen livelihood.

Rita
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

smudger wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:40 pm I don't give a toss what they're doing to earn their megabucks, payback is payback and these low lifes need to get real, they really aren't the pseudo gods they think they are. Especially Hamilton. In Schumie's shoes????? Don't think so mate.
I think it is a lot below the belt to call these people 'Low Lifes' :evil:
Trev..
smudger

Post by smudger »

Perhaps a tad harsh on reflection Trev. But I struggle to compare the work ethic, lifestyle and rewards of someone like Hamilton with Farah, or indeed many other athletes.
garry&jill

Post by garry&jill »

too insulting to put on here Al
garry
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Rita Sherry wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:50 am Most of us posters on this forum are British Ex Pats and under the law of both Cyprus and the UK if we live here for more than the prescribed time limit are obliged to register for tax (if applicable to earnings) to be paid either in the UK or here in Cyprus. Most will have opted for the benefit Cyprus confers of paying less than the UK so is this choice any less immoral than those sport athletes who choose to train overseas and possibly, but not necessarily, have the advantage of a lower tax liability? Think about it before we accuse others adopting the same choice when following their chosen livelihood.

Rita
Yes but how many of us are representing England or the UK, and earning money because of it?

When we moved from the UK to Cyprus we did so permanently.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Royal

Post by Royal »

I think that it's important to specify the groups of people we are talking about here.

For example, football players in the English/Scottish Leagues, whether British or foreign, would probably find it impossible to be tax exiles. Their country of residence for tax purposes would by the UK as they are clearly living and working in the UK for the majority of the financial year. In such cases, worldwide income is still taxable in the UK in most (but not all) circumstances.

However, our world class tennis and golf players could (and mostly do) spend most of their their working life abroad entering one major tournament after another. They also have a relatively short working life in this capacity.

Now UK taxation for UK nationals living and working abroad are complex, but as I understand them, all UK derived income would be taxed in the UK, but foreign earned income (clearly the majority for those travelling from major to major) would be taxed in the country of residence (unless there was a double taxation agreement in place and the individual felt it more advantageous to remain liable for UK tax). I personally don't have a problem with any of that, and suspect that most of us would choose to do the same- i.e. opt for the least tax liability. The UK is, in relative terms, a high taxation country, and when your working life can be as short as some of these individuals, surely you would wish to retain the maximum amount possible for your retirement? Let's not forget that some of our most famous tax exiles like Mick Jagger and Michael Caine left the UK when their earnings were being taxed at 83%, and that in contrast, Jenson Button pays 0% tax in Monaco!
WHL

Post by WHL »

My heart bleeds for them, save your tears for people like Hospital nurses etc...who work hard under pressure for peanuts.... :roll: