Lidl's Olympics

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Lidl's Olympics

Post by WHL »

I swear the checkout at Lidl's, should be an Olympic event,
Literally get everything thrown at you, as fast as %*@$ :shock:
trevnhil

Re: Lidl's Olympics

Post by trevnhil »

Well you are supposed to put it all back in the trolly as quick as you can and sort it into bags later ;-)
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:36 pm Well you are supposed to put it all back in the trolly as quick as you can and sort it into bags later ;-)
Hers an idea, do what other supermarkets do, it seems to work with them.
memory man

Post by memory man »

What do other supermarkets do ? :?

Please elaborate.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Not in our 2 local branches of Lidl in Paphos. Most shoppers load their stuff into bags in their trolleys.....
WHL

Post by WHL »

memory man wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:25 pm What do other supermarkets do ? :?

Please elaborate.
They don't chuck everything at you and want payment, before you even get your wallet out of your pocket, not blaming the cashiers, its ze German idea of speed and efficiency, get every ounce time and efficiency out of their employees.
I try and avoid going in there, much rather Alpha mega, where you get a smile and a hi how are you, much more civilised.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

And most of the time a bag packer
Trev..
ast

Post by ast »

Personally I like the Lidl full speed philosophy, fast as you like as I am happy to throw my stuff back in the trolley and pack in bags later. 8-)
I started off with nothing and have most of it left !
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:38 pm And most of the time a bag packer
Prefer to pack my shopping and always politely ask the packer to refrain from touching anything (some have a habit of just moving things around but most go off to assist another customer).

I place it on the conveyor belt in the correct order to pack which also makes it easier when I get home to have items for specific areas already sorted.
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Please elaborate.
Unlike Lidl, most have a larger area on the counter where your purchases are passed through to you, compared to the Lidl set up where the area is very small to encourage you to put stuff in the trolley and go to the separate bench and bag up so they can get in with the next customer and keep queues down.

In reality as the footflow here is generally less than most U.K. stores most people, most of the time, don’t need to do that and in my experience we mostly see people packing at the till - our case, Mrs W packs, I scan the app, flash the watch to pay and usually we’re done.

Then after our Lidl workout we go to Alpha Mega for a chill😂
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Please elaborate.
Unlike Lidl, most have a larger area on the counter where your purchases are passed through to you, compared to the Lidl set up where the area is very small to encourage you to put stuff in the trolley and go to the separate bench and bag up so they can get in with the next customer and keep queues down.

In reality as the footflow here is generally less than most U.K. stores most people, most of the time, don’t need to do that and in my experience we mostly see people packing at the till - our case, Mrs W packs, I scan the app, flash the watch to pay and usually we’re done.

Then after our Lidl workout we go to Alpha Mega for a chill😂
WHL

Post by WHL »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:38 pm And most of the time a bag packer
Over our side the youngsters who help with the packing, have special needs, and the smiles on their faces when they finish and you give them a few coins, is priceless.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

I like the speedy way, if your behind a long queue and the Checkout person is chatting, it can get very annoying
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
WHL

Post by WHL »

Uncle D wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:32 am I like the speedy way, if your behind a long queue and the Checkout person is chatting, it can get very annoying
Im guessing most people on here, need to speed things up and get to work on time etc :lol:
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

Lidl always has the fewest checkouts open and the longest queues, in my experience. This is why their conveyor belts are so long. They skimp on staff and expect customers to accommodate.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:49 am Possibly also why they are one of the cheapest supermarkets around...and why they are making huge inroads into the supermarket set-ups globally.

As with cheap airlines, you have to put up with a certain amount of inconvenience to get the cheap prices we all desire. Simple equation: fewer staff = lower overheads = cheaper product. But like WHL we prefer Alfa Mega.
Not sure about being cheaper HIC, for me their meat, and fruit and veg are second rate quality, plus we find better quality at better prices at other supermarkets/greengrocers,
deli items, hams etc are sold by the 100 grams when you workout the price per kilo, it often works out dearer then alpha Mega, plus side, tools excellent value for money, as are their ice creams etc. I just don't enjoy the shopping experience there, you still have to go to another supermarket to finish your weekly shop, they wait until there are long lines of people, and only then they will open another till.