Cyprus Eurovision Entry

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
aphrodite

Cyprus Eurovision Entry

Post by aphrodite »

Not something I normally watch, but just heard the Cypriot entry. What do you think? Does it stand a chance?

LouiseCastricum

Re: Cyprus Eurovision Entry

Post by LouiseCastricum »

I like it!
Louise :)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 8:18 am So do I, a clever song, although shades of Rag and Bone Man "Human" in there....
Yes, I agree. Good song though, certainly better than any UK entry I can remember in recent years.

I've never bothered with it myself, though it used to be fun watching the scores come in at the end. I used to work with a girl who was really, really into it though. She would have a Eurovision party on the night, and sulk for days afterwards if UK got too many "nil points".
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Hudswell wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 2:46 pm Love watching it..so cheesy.....but Sir Terry is a great loss...
I must admit to being a fan of Graham Norton who will be in his ninth year of presenting it this year. This Guardian article has a different view of Sir Terry Wogan's presentation which he blames on the low regard held by Britains of the competition!

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/ ... t-producer

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

I think Ireland should run this one, guaranteed winner....

WHL

Post by WHL »

Personally I stopped watching it when nearly every country now sings in English, Wheres the Eurovision in that, we used to enjoy hearing the different languages but, now its just a glorified Top of the Pops.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Pop songs generally sound best in English. That isn't the view of the English, but the view of our continental cousins.

In France, they legislated to ensure that French radio stations always played a proportion of French language songs. Apparently, what happened was that it proved so unpopular that the radio stations got around it by having shows on in the wee small hours that played nothing but French language songs. This enabled them to use up their quota.

Why do pop songs sound better in English? For the same reason that French sounds so romantic. It just does.
WHL

Post by WHL »

One of my favorite Eurovision songs
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cant see where you think.. he was being nasty? he told it as it was..Wogan belittled it at every turn.
josef k

Post by josef k »

I think that is the point, he belittled it at every turn. OK, it was never going to be highbrow but it was (and is) fun and should be approached in that way. I stopped watching it due to Terry's attitude (look at the funny foreigners), and only started again when I watched it on RIK with commentary in Greek.
Annamaria

Post by Annamaria »

Lets face it and give credit to our singer/ songwriters /bands ,the uk turns out the best music in the world without a doubt so let's own it
Ok America/Canada also turn some great stuff out and " maybe " a few one offs from other countries
But the rest is just euro trash rubbish! Ok Eurovision is not a great example of a song contest it's so cheesy it stinks but IMO we never win because the rest of them don't vote for us because they are jealous
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The UK doesn't turn out the best music in the world. Good music is global. Different countries influence each other.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Annamaria wrote: Wed May 10, 2017 10:31 pm Lets face it and give credit to our singer/ songwriters /bands ,the uk turns out the best music in the world without a doubt so let's own it
Ok America/Canada also turn some great stuff out and " maybe " a few one offs from other countries
But the rest is just euro trash rubbish! Ok Eurovision is not a great example of a song contest it's so cheesy it stinks but IMO we never win because the rest of them don't vote for us because they are jealous
Thats funny.. :roll:
Annamaria

Post by Annamaria »

Julian clary If he was hosting it even
I would watch it 😃
aphrodite

Post by aphrodite »

Annamaria wrote: Thu May 11, 2017 11:36 pm Julian clary If he was hosting it even
I would watch it 😃
I would too, just to hear Julian Clary's camp one liners. He's not on TV enough in my opinion. He's acerbic in a gentle manner. X
WHL

Post by WHL »

Julian Clary... he would be the Butchest one there. :lol:
josef k

Post by josef k »

He's a really nice guy. Norman Lamont speaks highly of him :o .
WHL

Post by WHL »

Can someone please explain to me, what Australia is doing in a European Contest???
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

WHL - it's for you!
Australia are not European, but they have been participating in the Eurovision Song Contest since 2015, when they were invited to compete as a fun way to celebrate the contest's 60th birthday. The official line is that Special Broadcasting Service, an Australian TV network, had broadcast the Contest for a number of years and the organisers EBU thought it might be nice to get them involved.  
More here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2017/05/1 ... me-uk-won/
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

Thank you , Still seems a bit strange, what happens if other Asian country's want to join the party.