Going to far.

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
WHL

Going to far.

Post by WHL »

Its getting ridiculous now, im not a smoker, used to be, but when will these ''ban everything going'' idiots stop.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... LNc5Kg0w9o
darrow

Re: Going to far.

Post by darrow »

I don't consider it too far, Its horrible sitting amongst clouds of stinking cigarette smoke when you are trying to enjoy your meal, I remember when Cinemas used to allocate the best seats for viewing to smokers and non smokers got pushed to the side, i am allergic to cigarette smoke and for years had to go very early out for a meal because I couldn't breathe if the smoke got to my nostrils. I would suffer for hours until the swelling went down. So I am all for smoke free eateries,
WHL

Post by WHL »

darrow wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:30 am I don't consider it too far, Its horrible sitting amongst clouds of stinking cigarette smoke when you are trying to enjoy your meal, I remember when Cinemas used to allocate the best seats for viewing to smokers and non smokers got pushed to the side, i am allergic to cigarette smoke and for years had to go very early out for a meal because I couldn't breathe if the smoke got to my nostrils. I would suffer for hours until the swelling went down. So I am all for smoke free eateries,
So im I, but banning people smoking on pavements and open areas????????????????????,
Last edited by WHL on Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
andytspencer

Post by andytspencer »

The problem is if you want to sit outside in nice weather you are going to be surrounded by ash trays and people smoking - in the old days they had smoking and non smoking areas in restaurants now days you have to try and sit up wind of smokers but at least your clothes don't stink
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

Even sitting inside the doors and windows are open so still not guaranteed a smoke free atmosphere.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I stopped smoking years ago, thank goodness.

I fail to see why, if I wish to enjoy the sunshine and have a meal with my family in a beer garden, I should be forced to breath contaminated air. We know now just how harmful it is to breath in cigarette smoke, more so, they say, if it's 'second hand'.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
lotus

Post by lotus »

I still smoke unfortunately but my pet hate when eating out is people smoking nearby,even if they are outside and we are inside the smoke can often creep inside,mind you it ranks alongside noisey people on next table,kids running about,staff coming up every two minutes to check if all ok etc,
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

WHL wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:32 am
darrow wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:30 am I don't consider it too far, Its horrible sitting amongst clouds of stinking cigarette smoke when you are trying to enjoy your meal, I remember when Cinemas used to allocate the best seats for viewing to smokers and non smokers got pushed to the side, i am allergic to cigarette smoke and for years had to go very early out for a meal because I couldn't breathe if the smoke got to my nostrils. I would suffer for hours until the swelling went down. So I am all for smoke free eateries,
So im I, but banning people smoking on pavements and open areas????????????????????,
I'm with you on the politically correct overdose we are currently experiencing,
But you still have to potentially walk past a group of smokers and through a cloud of smoke.
That can't do anyone any good.

Our local newspaper the other night reported that Police Scotland are to deploy officers in PLAIN CLOTHES on bikes to catch motorists who may be passing cyclists too closely. To me , as a retired cop with 30 years service, is a complete waste of money, time and effort. You only have to look at a cyclist these days and their off complaining, nothing seems to be done about them speeding along pavements, running red lights and travelling along one way streets in the wrong direction though.

Sorry, a bit off topic I know, getting my coat.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cappielow1 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:43 pm
WHL wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:32 am
I'm with you on the politically correct overdose we are currently experiencing,
But you still have to potentially walk past a group of smokers and through a cloud of smoke.
That can't do anyone any good.

Our local newspaper the other night reported that Police Scotland are to deploy officers in PLAIN CLOTHES on bikes to catch motorists who may be passing cyclists too closely. To me , as a retired cop with 30 years service, is a complete waste of money, time and effort. You only have to look at a cyclist these days and their off complaining, nothing seems to be done about them speeding along pavements, running red lights and travelling along one way streets in the wrong direction though.

Sorry, a bit off topic I know, getting my coat.
Agree with you on cycling, if they want rights to use the road, then pay a cycle tax and make them have third party insurance just like motorists, how many jump lights, and there have been pedestrians killed by careless cyclists ploughing into them....

Re Smokers, I just think there is a witch hunt against them, I gave up smoking years ago, I cant stand it if Im dinning and someone lights up near me, but smokers have to huddle outside on pavements to get their fix, thats punishment enough as far as I am concerned, talking of banning smoking outside in open areas is just a step to far in my opinion , if these Idiots who think these things up are so anti smoking, why don't they lobby the government to ban smoking, full stop??? could it be because they rake in Billions in tobacco duty?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

And how much is spent within the NHS treating smoking-related illnesses?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I read in the paper that there are now more people smoking after a steady decline. I'll try to find it. Here you go.https://www.theguardian.com/society/202 ... tudy-finds
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

Dominic wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:32 pm And how much is spent within the NHS treating smoking-related illnesses?
It costs a lot in the UK but not as much for example as treating obesity. Good progress has been made on both issues however I sometimes feel that personal liberty is being slowly eroded
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

mouse wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:59 pm First it was the pc mob, then the " I'm offended by everything " mob now there is a new one the " ban everything " mob.
Good post mouse.Ive always worked on my health and am the right wieght.Why do they limit the weight of my suit case when the big fat obese guy in front of me at the airport check in does not have to pay any extra for his 5 stone of fat he is putting on board.............I,m offended :(
josef k

Post by josef k »

On a nice day I would like to sit on the balcony outside the mall foodcourt with my chi latte. Unfortunately I can't because of b****y smokers. It's the same in all bar and restaurant outside areas. Selfish smokers wafting their stink around without a care for others.

If they have a nicotine addiction, there are other ways that this craving can be satisfied.

Remember that old advert comparing the smell of a smoker to an old ashtray? It's true.
Cappielow1

Post by Cappielow1 »

[/quote]

Good post mouse.Ive always worked on my health and am the right wieght.Why do they limit the weight of my suit case when the big fat obese guy in front of me at the airport check in does not have to pay any extra for his 5 stone of fat he is putting on board.............I,m offended :(
[/quote]

Was there not an airline did that a few years ago, I'm sure they charged vastly overweight people for two seats
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I wish that all airlines would do this, but no doubt unless it was adopted by all air lines, the law suits would start... I've been victimised by the airline with which we had booked our seats from Dubai to Larnaca. The flight was full and my seat turned out to be the middle one in a line of 3. Seated each end were two truly obese people, each required at least 1.5 seats.
So when I sat in mine, I could not move my arms as my shoulders were wedged between them.
Dee