Newspapers

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
clive of payia

Newspapers

Post by clive of payia »

Any body know why there aren't any foreign newspapers for the second day? Not at the Kiosks or Phillipos large or small supermarkets.

Thanks.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Newspapers

Post by Devil »

Coronavirus: fewer planes coming in
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

But that can't be the full story as some British newspapers are printed here in Cyprus. The Daily/Sunday Telegraph is one of them.
With the advances in the IT world the content of the paper can be found and re printed in Nicosia, I think.
It surprises me that despite this, the paper is no cheaper than it was when all newspapers came by air.

Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

You may be right that, if they are printed here, the price is the same. However, the cost of printing a few tens of thousands in Cyprus, if that be the case, must be ginormous per copy, compared with a few million in the UK!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

The printing press is out of order according to Paps.
All things are possible
josef k

Post by josef k »

Why would you want foreign papers? I read the Cyprus mail and that informs me about the country I live in.

Having said that, perhaps you are here on an extended holiday and need to stay in touch with home.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Many UK papers have online editions which are of course are more up to date than the printed ones..
Trev..
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I have an on line subscription to the Daily/Sunday Telegraph which I enjoy reading. I also read the local paper, which usually doesn't take very long. I do enjoy reading'Tales from the Coffees Shop' on Sundays...

HIC- concerning the printer of foreign news papers, you may be right. I did once enquire where the paper was printed. The answer was it came from Nicosia. I took that to mean that it was printed on island... Whoever does it tends to use a smaller type size, maybe to pack more onto each page to cut down on the amount of paper used? But that makes it harder to read ...
Dee