CY-Lockdown: a good time to think....

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

CY-Lockdown: a good time to think....

Post by cyprusmax47 »

Now, as we are in our second lockdown here, it is a good time to think about other things before one gets too depressed, being locked-in more or less.

You would also help the local economy - the last we want is another financial disaster like 2011!

What's about some maintenance or renovation at your home, which you have to do anyhow this year?

For example a dirty air-con unit is not only unhealthy, specially in these times, but also uses more electric power. Yearly service is also necessary for diesel boilers, not only for the smell and smoke. The quality of heating diesel is very low in Cyprus!! hence service is important.

Renovation could be replacing outdated heating/cooling systems towards a more "Green" solution. To invest money now instead in a few years time when the EU is not allowing to install Oil/Gas heating systems to reach CO2 goals. Much better is to use latest technology of electric heat pumps, ideally run by your own photovoltaic system on your roof or garden. No more bad smell, no leaking storage tanks, no refilling etc etc.

If you have already a PV system installed and paying still a fair amount of money to EAC, why not add some more panels to pay only the minimum electricity costs in future.

My favourite item for people owning a pool is still a solar-driven pool pump with 3 panels only, to circulate your pool water 12 hours a day, without electricity costs at all. Low pool maintenance and chemicals is another side effect!

Green Air, Paphos, one of the main sponsors on PaphosLife, does not only install all the above mentioned energy systems, but also undertakes all kind of maintenance jobs, starting from plumbing... recently also installing round saunas, something new in Cyprus, lovely and healthy.....

If you are interested, just phone Green Air office 26 941 555 and ask for Andreas, chief engineer.

Max
PolemIan

Re: CY-Lockdown: a good time to think....

Post by PolemIan »

Max, haven’t put any heating on yet, can’t get much greener than that!

Ian
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

nholleran wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:00 am And how much for a solar driven pool pump, roughly 10x5 pool Max.
Providing that it is a normal standard installation at your premises the costs are 2500 Euro + VAT. A visit from Green Air people at your site will confirm if this price is applicable. It will consist of German pump and controller as well as 3 high quality panels from REC and mounting material. It includes also the installation of course. Your old pump will stay in situ and can be used with just open/close four valves if needed.
The pump will circulate ca 18 m3/hour pool water for approx. 8-12 hours/day depending time of the year. This type of Dc pump runs since more than 10 years now in my friends pool without any interruption...

Max
cyprusmax47
Chief Cat Spotter

Post by cyprusmax47 »

PolemIan wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:33 pm Max, haven’t put any heating on yet, can’t get much greener than that!

Ian
I wonder if it is cold enough at Polemi to run any form of heating now ? :) My outdoor temperature at the moment here (midday) is only 8.9c,(same sea level than Polemi), but saying that if I look at my neighbours house, their entrance door is wide open all day long. (OK, they have 5 cats and 4 dogs, living indoors ) :lol:

Max
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We've had our heating on for a while now. Plus a nice toasty fire on occasion.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

We usually have our heating on for an hour in a morning and sometimes for a hour in the evening
Trev..
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

cyprusmax47 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:24 am
PolemIan wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:33 pm Max, haven’t put any heating on yet, can’t get much greener than that!

Ian
I wonder if it is cold enough at Polemi to run any form of heating now ? :) My outdoor temperature at the moment here (midday) is only 8.9c,(same sea level than Polemi), but saying that if I look at my neighbours house, their entrance door is wide open all day long. (OK, they have 5 cats and 4 dogs, living indoors ) :lol:

Max
Living room zone turned on yesterday morning. Thermostat clicked off early afternoon and hasn’t been in again yet.