So quite outside

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
Paul

So quite outside

Post by Paul »

With the lack of aircraft flying over Cyprus has anyone noticed how quite it sounds outside?

There seems to be a lack of a low deep rumble in the air from aircraft engines.

We live in the country away from Paphos town so we do not have the town noise here.

Nice to hear the birds singing outside.

:P
Sadie

Re: So quite outside

Post by Sadie »

So very quiet here in Polemi too, only the odd sounds of chainsaws cutting next years wood.
The birdsong is lovely..
Important to take little pleasures where we can 🥰
If you never ask the question, the answer will always be....no
Lofos-Jan

Post by Lofos-Jan »

Same here in Tala and also paying much more attention to the birdsong.

Jeanne
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Yes, it is quite quiet outside, here as well.
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

And it is indeed quite quiet in our part of Peyia. Love the birdsong. And what a wonderful weather.
Louise :)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Frogs are still noisy. :)

And please, don't post the locations of checkpoints. I have already mentioned this a couple of times, but I had to delete a post in this thread too.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I have been down Polis Road to Paphos this morning and it was indeed very quiet.. I passed by three roadside check points in places I have seen them before, but I was not asked to stop..
One thing did surprise me was the low price of petrol, presumably one of the reasons is that we are consuming very little now.. At four petrol stations the price was €1-04 a litre ..
Trev..
emgee

Post by emgee »

Supply and demand.

Basic economics.

Stay at home.

Alan
Mike J

Post by Mike J »

Just reflects the low price per barrel on the spot market doesn’t it though that is changing as the large producers cut the amount being pumped . Normal practice here when business drops off is to put prices up.
We live alongside the motorway and whilst traffic is down during the day between 4 and 6 in the morning it is really busy . Wonder what they are all doing ?
kansas

Post by kansas »

Have to say that our village is lovely and quiet, just the sound of the tractors, and farm workers, and the occasional walker. With this beautiful weather there's no place I'd rather be.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I’m in Chloraka too, but closer to King Evalthon. The thing that I notice is how quiet the Coral Bay Rd is, although It is distant and below my house, but normally there is a low rumble as vehicles often come past in convoys as traffic lights change. This is sometimes punctuated by the wail of the siren on emergency vehicles. Now the road is nearly deserted by day and empty by night. Also is strange with no aircraft passing by en route for the airport, Even the guy living near me with his noisy motor bike is quiet too.. I love the sound of silence punctuated by birdsong!
Also the beautiful weather and my clear view of about 20kms beyond Coral Bay to Geronisos Island.
Dee
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:02 pm I have been down Polis Road to Paphos this morning and it was indeed very quiet.. I passed by three roadside check points in places I have seen them before, but I was not asked to stop..
One thing did surprise me was the low price of petrol, presumably one of the reasons is that we are consuming very little now.. At four petrol stations the price was €1-04 a litre ..
Yes Trev,with regards to the price of petrol you mentioned,there are two reasons petrol and diesel are so cheap in the states.
1/ Of course they produce so much of their own oil.
2/ Clue,,the consumer drives the price down due to their own actions.What are these own actions? We could do it ourselves but don't or wont or cant be bothered. :?:
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

trevnhil wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:02 pm I have been down Polis Road to Paphos this morning and it was indeed very quiet.. I passed by three roadside check points in places I have seen them before, but I was not asked to stop..
Yes Trev,with regards to the price of petrol you mentioned,there are two reasons petrol and diesel are so cheap in the states.
1/ Of course they produce so much of their own oil.
2/ Clue,,the consumer drives the price down due to their own actions.What are these own actions? We could do it ourselves but don't or wont or cant be bothered. :?:
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Yes we love the sound of silence. Wake up in the morning and hear the birds chattering away. Apart from yesterday evening BANG!! BANG!! believe it to be kids celebrating Easter with bangers.
All things are possible
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

I’m not meaning to trivialise what you wrote HIC, its indeed a very serious situation.
But in years to come someone will make a film about how a virus has wrought so much damage to so many countries and people around the world...... last year only a sci-fi writer could have imagined a scenario like this.

Dee
AFJ

Post by AFJ »

I wish , I think there must be a sign on the road from Emba to Tala for motorbikes to rev their engines make them go bang up through the village. One little
b-gger has 2 bikes and goes up and down the road at least 4-6 times a day, one day he'll fall off , the speed they go is unreal, ok rant over, it is nice to hear the bird etc when the bikes aren't here.

Jenny
mike strand2

Post by mike strand2 »

AFJ wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:23 am I wish , I think there must be a sign on the road from Emba to Tala for motorbikes to rev their engines make them go bang up through the village. One little
b-gger has 2 bikes and goes up and down the road at least 4-6 times a day, one day he'll fall off , the speed they go is unreal, ok rant over, it is nice to hear the bird etc when the bikes aren't here.

Jenny
They also come past my house in Kissonerga. During working hours, it's usually around 4:30pm but now can be any time of the day. I contacted Peyia police who said they'd "look into it".
June

Re: So quiet outside

Post by June »

A friend sent this ... It makes you stop & think !!!

Have to say it gave me the shivers :|

Letter from the Covid-19 Virus ... to Humanity :-

The earth whispered but you did not hear.
The earth spoke but you did not listen
The earth screamed but you turned her off.

And so I was born.
I was not born to punish you.
I was born to awaken you.

The earth cried out for help.
Massive flooding. But you didn't listen.
Burning fires. But you didn't listen.
Strong hurricanes. But you didn't listen.
Terrifying Tornadoes. But you didn't listen.
You still don't listen to the earth when the ocean's fish and animals are dying due to pollutants in the waters.
Glaciers melting at an alarming rate.
Severe drought.
You didn't listen to how much negativity the earth is receiving.
Non-stop wars.
Non-stop greed.

You just kept going on with your life.
No matter how much hate there was.
No matter how many killings daily.
It was more important to get that latest iPhone than worry about what the earth was trying to tell you.

But now I am here.

And I've made the world stop in its tracks. I've made YOU finally listen.
I've made you stop thinking about materialistic things. I've made you take refuge.

Now you are like the earth.
You are only worried about YOUR survival.
How does that feel?

I give you fever, as the fires burn on earth.
I give you respiratory issues, as pollution fills the earth's air.
I give you weakness, as the earth weakens every day.
I took away your comforts.
Your outings.
The things you would use to forget about the planet and its pain.
And I made the world stop.

And now.
China has better air quality.
Skies are clear blue because factories are not spewing pollution into the earth's air.
The water in Venice is clean and fish and dolphins are being seen, because the boats that pollute the water are not being used.

YOU are having to take time to reflect on what is important in your life.
Again I am not here to punish you. I am here to Awaken you

When all this is over and I am gone. Please remember these moments.Listen to the earth. Listen to your soul.

Stop polluting the earth.
Stop fighting among each other.
Stop caring about materialistic things.
And start loving your neighbours.
Start caring about the earth and all its creatures.

Because next time I may come back even stronger.

Signed,

Coronavirus
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Thank you June. A lovely poem.
I've noticed how the migrating birds have had a chance this year against the hunters/trappers. Lots of birdsong in the early morning.
Each day I see the lighthouse and environs clear and sharp at five miles- and no brown line of NO2 on the horizon .
No contrails scarring the lovely blue sky.
Thank God.
Jon.