Trump's Latest Pearls of Wisdom

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half hour youtube video. Also, we want you to win your debate by the strength of your argument. Attacking your opponent weakens your argument.
Jimgward

Re: Trump's Latest Pearls of Wisdom

Post by Jimgward » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:03 pm

Wee faux pas.... should be 1776....

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:41 am

British Ambassador To US Describes 'Inept' Donald Trump In *Leaked* Memos – Report
The Independent. George Bowden 7 July 2019

Britain’s ambassador to the US, Sir Kim Darroch, reportedly described Donald Trump as “inept” and at risk of ending his presidency in “disgrace”.

An unprecedented leak of recent official diplomatic cables, reported by the Mail on Sunday, revealed Sir Kim’s frank views on the US leader.

In one excoriating message, seen by the Mail, Sir Kim is said to have written: “We don’t really believe [Trump’s] Administration is going to become substantially more normal; less dysfunctional; less unpredictable; less faction riven; less diplomatically clumsy and inept.”

The Foreign Office told the Mail that, like all ambassadors, Sir Kim was paid to express his views candidly and that the leak amounted to “mischievous behaviour”.

Nonetheless, the disclosure of highly-sensitive cables between the British embassy in Washington and Downing Street could strain the so-called “special relationship” between the UK and the US.

It also raises questions about leaks at the heart of government and of the morale of the civil service.

The publication of extracts from the cables on Sunday could also prompt a direct response from Trump himself.

Sir Kim, 65, has been Britain’s “man in Washington” since January 2016, ten months before Trump’s election victory. He was previously the UK’s representative to the European Union and a national security advisor.

Firefly

Post by Firefly » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:05 pm

I cannot imagine what sort of person acting as British Ambassador, would actually write this, how foolish.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:33 pm

Why? The issue is surely with the leak. And besides, was he wrong?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Devil

Post by Devil » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:40 pm

Firefly wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:05 pm
I cannot imagine what sort of person acting as British Ambassador, would actually write this, how foolish.
Do you really think that internal confidential documents are couched in diplomatic language?

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:46 pm

From what I've read today, diplomats are encouraged to report back to base, telling it like it really is, which is what he did.

As Dominic questions, "was he wrong"?

Firefly

Post by Firefly » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:04 pm

We shall see if he loses his position, if so then yes. Surely he could have reported his findings/opinions verbally.

Devil, Of course not, you say 'confidential documents' they are obviously anything but that !
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:46 pm

On what basis should he lose his position? Why on earth should he? He wasn't the one who leaked the documents. Though he may well be made a scapegoat, in order that the UK (who will soon desperately need the USA as a trading partner) appeases megalomaniac Trump.

As the UK government's representative to the USA he is tasked, among other things, with reporting back to the UK government on his sentiments about the USA administration. And you're saying he should do this verbally? With whom? And what then? Should these sentiments be passed down the line verbally from one civil servant to the next, in the manner of "send three and fourpence, we're going to a dance".

Honestly Jackie, you really do take the biscuit with your bizarre and eccentric views.

PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:05 am

He did what he was told, according to the report. Someone else we assume, has leaked the information and if anyone's head should roll, it's theirs.
Our man should stay in his position and let it be yet another reminder to Trump that everything he says and does is still being watched and listened to - and that he has a serious job to do.
It is I, LeClerc :lol:

Devil

Post by Devil » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:37 am

Unfortunately, it is almost sure that Trump will declare him persona non grata and he will be forced to leave.

Devil

Post by Devil » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:40 am

Firefly wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:04 pm
Surely he could have reported his findings/opinions verbally.
You obviously have no idea how the FO works. :( :(

Firefly

Post by Firefly » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:44 am

No unlike everyone else on here, I do not.

Some of you appear to be like a pack of wolves, just waiting to pounce, enjoy.

PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:19 pm

This headline made me laugh today.... commented by one who's extremely good at being rather stupid himself:

Trump says UK ambassador 'a very stupid guy
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48921243
It is I, LeClerc :lol:

Firefly

Post by Firefly » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:26 pm

The UK Ambassador has resigned, he has lost his job albeit his choice. How's that for bizarre and eccentric :roll:

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:22 pm

That is a shame. I would hardly see his actions as bizarre and eccentric. The person who should get the boot is the person who leaked confidential correspondence.

I certainly don't want a situation where ambassadors are afraid to say what they really think in their reports back home. That could set a very dangerous precedent.

I hope there is an enquiry to whoever leaked the document. They have done the UK no favours.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:05 pm

Already, strong rumours that one of Boris’s group, leaked the correspondence.....

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:46 am

Which might explain why, when pressed by Hunt in the ITV debate last night, Boris steadfastly refused to back the UK ambassador. Some in his party strongly condemned him for that today.

Having been conned by this charlatan (Boris) at the time of the referendum, I am astounded that so many in the Conservative Party are backing this lying, cheating, unprincipled buffoon to be the next PM. They claim he has 'charisma'; I would have thought you needed more than just charisma to lead the country.

Firefly

Post by Firefly » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Dominic

It was part of my post that he may lose his position due to his written words, I was accused of having bizarre and eccentric views, seems not.

As for the charlatan, the lying, cheating, unprincipled buffoon, aren't you glad you don't live here. Your view of him Lloyd, but you tend to be very descriptive in an unflattering manner, just your way I suppose.

Devil

Post by Devil » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:30 pm

Firefly wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:53 pm
It was part of my post that he may lose his position due to his written words, I was accused of having bizarre and eccentric views, seems not.
Wrong end of the stick, again. He did not lose his post, he resigned. Also, not because of what he wrote, which has been largely accepted (except by Johnson) but the fact that some third person saw fit to make it public which is a very severe breach (probably criminal) of public service etiquette.

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:50 pm

Also, he resigned because a buffoon of a president said things that were unbecoming of a politician, never mind president. He made his position untenable, which should never have happened. Other Presidents would have had a word with May.....