If only I'd warned...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: If only I'd warned...

Post by Jim B » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:43 am

An interesting link to Ian King, the financial reporter from Sky who always appeared to support Brexit.
Everything we post is the here and now, not five years ago when Brexit supporters were promised unicorns and sunny uplands, there was no mention of bumps in the road until much later when things started going wrong.after the UK actually left the EU..
Not one comment from any leave supporter about CE Certification and the damage it will do to the UK, maybe it's easier to slag off the messenger than actually put up a logical arguement.

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:26 am

Sorry, but I remember the leave campaign saying that there would be an adjustment period before the benefits of Brexit would happen. That is exactly what is happening now.

I also remember HiC saying that sterling would collapse to below a euro or thereabouts. That hasn't happened. The Leavers can't be bothered to put up arguments to counter his statements. He never listens to them. The subject is very dull now, and more tedious when unrelated threads become overtaken with Brexit rhetoric. We are probably all a bit guilty of that though.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:11 am

I'm sorry Dominic but prior to the referendum they promised there would only be benefits, the adjustment period only came afterwards when things didn't go the way they said it would, have a look at number 1 in link 3.

https://www.politico.eu/article/15-thin ... t-got/amp/

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck ... -all-sides

https://www.snp.org/debunked-7-broken-brexit-promises/

True, the Euro never fell below the value of the pound although it did get pretty close and has never return to the halcyon days prior to the referendum.
The leavers as far as I can recall have never put up any arguement on this forum between them, I would think the only person who tried was Firefly while the rest just resort to personal attacks or ridicule. This section is supposed to be about Politics and yes like others I've been involved in taking over unrelated threads, guilty as charged. At least we try to add to the forum and to many of us the subject of Brexit isn't dull or tedious.

PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:42 am

Jim B is correct, there was little put forward by the Leave party which wasn't all wine and roses and when it was pointed out the problems which would arise, nobody would listen.

Now, these things are coming to fruition.

I don't really care anymore if they want to listen or not. The evidence is there right in front of their noses.

As most of you know, me and my other half deal online selling items worldwide and the hosting company of our website has a very active forum.

Almost every single site there now which is UK based have stopped selling their products outside of UK due to the vast changes since Brexit. The paperwork is mental, also touched upon here a few times now it's becoming more difficult and costly for Cyprus residents getting their goodies in from their UK folks.

So far, those changes haven't caused problems for us due to the items we sell and 99% of them leave as a small letter so don't get looked at too closely. But odd ones have been problematic and now we have a rider which says the customer for international orders is responsible for any applicable charges of customs duty fees in the destination country.

One such item sent recently is still sitting at Larnaka airport since 28 August. It's an expensive package and a new customer to our website.

We now have to decide with our other stuff we sell online whether we ship outside of UK or not. It's becoming a real pain for small businesses.
It is I, LeClerc

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:47 am

Surely its the same as if you sold something to the US or Japan?

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:34 am

Dominic wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:47 am
But the whole point it wasn't before Brexit, it was just like posting a parcel from Manchester to Leeds.
You yourself have seen on Paphos Chat people complaing about import duty and handling charges on Birthday Presents. You read of people trying to deal with immigration when before it was a quick 20 minute visit and walk out with a yellow slip.
Brexit has had a big effect on people's lives in Cyprus unless their living in a bubble.

The Aquila

Post by The Aquila » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:05 am

Jim B wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:34 am

But the whole point it wasn't before Brexit,
We used to have to have someone walk in front of the cars with a red flag but we don’t anymore; things have moved on!

Les Bean

Post by Les Bean » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:40 am

The Aquila wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:05 am
Jim B wrote:

But the whole point it wasn't before Brexit,
We used to have to have someone walk in front of the cars with a red flag but we don’t anymore; things have moved on!
But in this case we have moved back not forwards

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:54 pm

Jim B wrote:
Dominic wrote:
But the whole point it wasn't before Brexit, it was just like posting a parcel from Manchester to Leeds.
You yourself have seen on Paphos Chat people complaing about import duty and handling charges on Birthday Presents. You read of people trying to deal with immigration when before it was a quick 20 minute visit and walk out with a yellow slip.
Brexit has had a big effect on people's lives in Cyprus unless their living in a bubble.
No that's not the whole point. Photolady said they shipped worldwide. If that was the case, then EU shippings would now be treated like any other international order.

If they only shipped to the EU then I agree, it would be a lot more hassle. The post office now slap duty on everything. And what has immigration got to do with a comment about postage?

Jim B

Post by Jim B » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:03 pm

Dominic wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:54 pm
Jim B wrote:
Dominic wrote:
No that's not the whole point. Photolady said they shipped worldwide. If that was the case, then EU shippings would now be treated like any other international order.

If they only shipped to the EU then I agree, it would be a lot more hassle. The post office now slap duty on everything. And what has immigration got to do with a comment about postage?
I thought the whole thread was about the effects of Brexit rather than postage and presently postage and immigration in Cyprus are being affected by Brexit as well as many other things
Unlike the Aguila I can at least see the effects Brexit is having on Brits living in Cyprus and I'm not including shortages of Marmite.
Things are the way the are because people didn't understand the ramifications of what would happen or weren't really bothered.
You know its the little things that come out of woodwork; like what will be the position of British kids when they reach 18 and that sort of thing, but anyway I digress

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:35 pm

With respect, most of you live in Cyprus and are barely affected by Brexit.

Lloyd has a business affected by Brexit.

I live in the UK, have Cyprus properties, I am severely affected by Brexit and now Covid effects. Both in the UK and my Cypriot connections/business etc.

Dominic, you find the topic tiresome. Again, with respect, it’s still a hotly debated topic and without them, the forum would be dull, in my opinion.

Brexit is affecting the UK more and more with each week and month. We are about to hit the shit of the partial relaxations ending and then imports will be severely affected - as will exports.

While some feel the topic gets repeated, it is with new news of effects.

Prior to the vote, the Leave side were not truthful about what would happen. The prime movers told a story of little effect and milk and honey. Everything else was project fear. There are many YouTube testaments from Johnson, Gove and many others if you can be bothered. All make out we would never leave without open trade etc. Etc.

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:01 pm

I shall leave you to thrash it out amongst yourselves. Just keep it off the general page.

Les Bean

Post by Les Bean » Mon Sep 06, 2021 4:46 pm

Here is one point of view
Screenshot_20210906_164300.jpg
Screenshot_20210906_164300.jpg (171.78 KiB) Viewed 408 times

Jimgym

Post by Jimgym » Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:22 pm

https://www.quora.com/Why-has-Britain-b ... right-wing I seem to recall many people including some on here saying how far right Britain was becoming due to Brexit. Now it seems it’s left!

Les Bean

Post by Les Bean » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:35 pm

Jimgym wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:22 pm
https://www.quora.com/Why-has-Britain-b ... right-wing I seem to recall many people including some on here saying how far right Britain was becoming due to Brexit. Now it seems it’s left!
??
This is an extract from your posted link
Screenshot_20210906_203355_com.opera.browser.jpg
Screenshot_20210906_203355_com.opera.browser.jpg (154.51 KiB) Viewed 377 times

Jimgym

Post by Jimgym » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:52 pm

My point being that some on here concluded that Britain was going to become some rabid right wing country because of Brexit. I just wish they’d make their mind up😉😉

PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:42 am

I saw this today, it made me smile.
I shall be keeping it for future use.
E-nEfPmWQAY2fGt.jpeg
E-nEfPmWQAY2fGt.jpeg (39.08 KiB) Viewed 328 times
It is I, LeClerc

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward » Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:43 am

I am always amazed by some people’s perception of where left or right of centre things lie….

Tories say the BBC is left-wing. Labour says it’s right-wing.

The country (England) overwhelming voted Tory. If that’s an indication of left-wing, when we have a cabinet containing Johnson, Rees-Mogg and others?

Johnson has an 80 seat majority in the UK. To the point where it is difficult to see Labour ever winning in the next 20 years at least. Traditional labour areas, including mining towns, voting Tory as they want right-wing policies in their lives.

PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady » Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:00 pm

And now the Tories are going to hit their reliable pensioner voters by making them pay NHS contributions if they're still working.

Announcements will be made today with this particular issue coming late last night.

Wonder if income from property rentals will be included in that? There will be a lot of very miffed OAPs around our area who won't be happy.

But they will still go and stick their X in the box when the time to vote comes around again...
It is I, LeClerc

Uncle D

Post by Uncle D » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:15 pm

I was under the impression that you do not become a pensioner until you claim your pension, if people want to carry on working then that is their choice.
David