Taking things too far.

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: Taking things too far.

Post by Devil »

Britons never never never shall be slaves, except to political correctness! For me, I regard it simply as a song without any political meaning; after all, what does, "wider still and wider, shall thy bounds be set" mean today? That the British Empire is still expanding? No! It is a simple historical song with no present-day meaning other than it is very stirring music.
memory man

Post by memory man »

Dominic wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:25 pm

I still would like to know who actually complained though.

I've read many reports about this removal today, and in each
report it merely states
"as part of an ongoing review of its historical assets"
There has been no mention of a complaint from anyone, only the ongoing review.

I don't believe the RAF would do this unless prompted due to a complaint.

PETITION TO GET NAME BACK ON MEMORIAL
memory man

Post by memory man »

mouse wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:06 pm Well the intelligent person would find a country where the culture, history and legal system are in harmony with their beliefs.
Who's that directed at?
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Hear, hear, Devil, I think much of this 'political correctness has just got out of hand! Give me the traditional values and a sense of humour... Though I have to say that' Land of Hope and Glory'' comes from the days of Empire.. We always sing it at the British Army or RAF band concerts, amongst other songs. We have been known to wave our Union Jacks too!

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:11 pm Hear, hear, Devil, I think much of this 'political correctness has just got out of hand! Give me the traditional values and a sense of humour... Though I have to say that' Land of Hope and Glory'' comes from the days of Empire.. We always sing it at the British Army or RAF band concerts, amongst other songs. We have been known to wave our Union Jacks too!

Dee
Sense of humour, you mean like this guy, breakingnews its 2020, people will not put up with, racists any more,

WHL

Post by WHL »

Dont you love it when people start a sentence with ,
Im not a racist, but......
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

WHL wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:33 am Dont you love it when people start a sentence with ,
Yes of course WHL but we have to be very carefull in what we say.So starting off with " i,m not racist but " helps to soften our opinion to the listener in case they are leftist or even a snowflake. :shock:
lotus

Post by lotus »

Presume you mean me,truthfully iam not racist,have worked and socialized with many black people most of my life,still in contact with a few now,quite honestly all of them totally pissed off with the whole BLM business,they say it's even causing friction between some people,most of them are content in UK it's just a section who are causing problems,white and black,if you look at it another way,immigrants in most countries are and always will be no matter how slight will always be treated as aliens,some Cypriots don't like the English,a lot of Aussies don't like Brits etc ,moving and living in another country is fine but you are expected to abide by the countries rules and law and respect their history which we can't change
Last edited by lotus on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHL

Post by WHL »

lotus wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:15 am Presume you mean me,truthfully iam not racist,have worked and socialized with many black people most of my life,still in contact with a few now,quite honestly all of them totally pissed off with the whole BLM business,they say it's even causing friction between some people,most of them are content in UK it's just a section who are causing problems,white and black
Im not pointing the finger at anyone, but when i watch TV, I see many people, who open up with, im not a racist but, X Y Z, no mate its as clear as day light what you really feel.
lotus

Post by lotus »

There you go again making assumptions,you obviously don't care what happens to your country,but believe me if things carry on like it is in UK it's going to be terrible
Last edited by lotus on Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Chaddy wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:04 am
WHL wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:33 am Dont you love it when people start a sentence with ,
Yes of course WHL but we have to be very carefull in what we say.So starting off with " i,m not racist but " helps to soften our opinion to the listener in case they are leftist or even a snowflake. :shock:
Are you saying there arnt any leftist who are racists, never forget an incident we saw in trendy Hampstead, , we were sitting outside a coffee shop, when a black parking warden started to write a ticket for car, illegally parked, when the car owner come running out of a nearby shop, he looked like a uni professor, not your skinhead type, shouting out, go back to Africa you bleep bleep black bleep, he got in his car and drove off, on his rear windscreen was a sticker, say no to racism, i kid you not.
lotus

Post by lotus »

I,ve seen worse in Oxford white traffic warden and white guy getting a ticket,nobody likes traffic wardens black or white
boycott

Post by boycott »

WHL wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:36 am
Are you saying there arnt any leftist who are racists, never forget an incident we saw in trendy Hampstead, , we were sitting outside a coffee shop, when a black parking warden started to write a ticket for car, illegally parked, when the car owner come running out of a nearby shop, he looked like a uni professor, not your skinhead type, shouting out, go back to Africa you bleep bleep black bleep, he got in his car and drove off, on his rear windscreen was a sticker, say no to racism, i kid you not.
WHL, plenty of stereotyping in your statement! How do you look like a uni professor and even if he was one does he have to be a leftie? How do you know he was the owner of the car?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Chaddy wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:04 am even a snowflake.
Look up the definition before using words, please.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No it doesn't. It just makes you sound like you are a racist.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

boycott wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:52 am

WHL, plenty of stereotyping in your statement! How do you look like a uni professor and even if he was one does he have to be a leftie? How do you know he was the owner of the car?

Looking like a University Professor is an expression, like looking like a maiden aunt. It would imply messy hair, glasses, possibly a jacket with pads on the elbows, and corduroy trousers. That sort of thing. You do see a lot of that look at universities. Well you did thirty years ago anyway.

If he wasn't the car owner, why would he be shouting at the traffic warden?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Devil wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:58 am
Chaddy wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:04 am even a snowflake.
Look up the definition before using words, please.
Perhaps you should, too.

_____

Snowflake is a 2010s derogatory slang term for a person, implying that they have an inflated sense of uniqueness, an unwarranted sense of entitlement, or are overly-emotional, easily offended, and unable to deal with opposing opinions.
_____

Not all leftists are snowflakes, and not all snowflakes are leftists.

Personally I hate the term, but some times the cap does fit.
lotus

Post by lotus »

Believe what you like,but truthfully I am not racist not like WHL 🤔
boycott

Post by boycott »

Dominic, as the uni prof was the driver of the car, he was responsible for paying for the ticket, not the owners responsibility but the drivers, (unless its not paid then it becomes the owners).
WHL

Post by WHL »

boycott wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:52 am

Bottom line, he was a vile racist, no more no less.