Bridge Over The Channel

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Firefly

Bridge Over The Channel

Post by Firefly »

No please, I cannot believe what is being reported today. It's bad enough having the chunnel, but how do you stop thousands of immigrants, that France has allowed in, from crossing a bridge to the UK. Heaven knows we're full already, let France face the responsibility of what they have done, not us. And no, I do not accept all the waffle regarding trade etc, there are many ferries and trains, enough is enough.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Bridge Over The Channel

Post by Dominic »

If you expect France to police to be able to police their entire border, surely it is reasonable to expect the UK to police one end of a bridge?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It's a bit late when they're over the bridge. France can do what it likes, I care not.
Last edited by Firefly on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
exodus

Post by exodus »

According to the BBC World service it was the UK's Foreign secretary Boris Johnson who resurrected the idea (not a new idea apparently).
Boris seems to be the UK's Trump. I love them! Action men.
Amos.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Both tw*ts.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Can't see it coming off personally as the English Channel is a very busy shipping lane but who knows!

Shane
josef k

Post by josef k »

Nobody will ever build a bridge over the channel. Think about it, the distance is just over 20 miles. The longest bridge over water in the world only spans an 8 mile stretch (although another 14 miles is over land). It would cost a fortune, shut down in bad weather, and would be at risk of giant ships crashing into it. Just think of the toll change.

Dream on Boris.
Varky

Post by Varky »

I think there is a longer bridge over the sea, recently opened in China at 26.3 miles long although some of this could be over land.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Ah Boris, when mayor of London he loved the EU, when he became an part of the cabinet he hated it, now he is beginning to love it again, what a YoYo.
Its a pipe dream, if they built it it would be a disaster waiting to happen.
David
Dishonesty is the second best policy
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Technically the bridge could be built I have no doubt whatsoever but cannot see the business case, especially if Brexit would go ahead. There are far longer bridges, the recently opened one between Hong Kong and Macao for instance - and there were even plans by the Bin Ladin group to build one from Yemen to Djibouti (that shipping line is even busier and full of pirates on top of it ;) )!

Edit: just found this - quite interesting: https://www.theguardian.com/world/galle ... n-pictures

(How could I have forgotten this ??? - I was driving across it daily for 6 years in a row - must have spent hundreds of hours of my live on it: King Fahd Causeway: Opened in 1986, the King Fahd Causeway Bridge links Saudi Arabia and Bahrain. It is 25km (16 miles) long and, due to the ban on women driving in Saudi Arabia that existed for many years, it was the only bridge in the world where women could drive on to it from Bahrain, but would be breaking the law if they exited into Saudi Arabia at the other end.)

A.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Aarrggh the Causeway what a crap place to sit and wait in the queues on a Thursday afternoon or during Eid.
The weather conditions in that area are nothing like the English Channel and the water is very shallow.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I think its a Brilliant idea, and engineering wise , there are already longer bridges out there..there would be a tunnel halfway along . so not to trouble shipping...Private financing could build it, drivers using it paying a toll,....it would be a fantastic build....I cant belive some of the negative posts on here, saying immigrants might get in...Its a good job the Cyprus goverment dosnt have the same anti immigrant view, as alot of us wouldnt be here. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ridge.html
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Immigrants would, not might.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

He has a thing about bridges. I hope this idea is quashed before zillions are wasted à la garden bridge.
Alfie

Post by Alfie »

Firefly wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:57 pm Immigrants would, not might.
We get it. You don't like foreigners. :roll:
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I'm wondering at the point of building it, at great expense, firstly when the money would be better used elsewhere and secondly why the need when we have a tunnel?
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Jimgym wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:35 pm I'm wondering at the point of building it, at great expense, firstly when the money would be better used elsewhere and secondly why the need when we have a tunnel?
Firstly, yes it would & secondly, the tunnel can only accommodate so much traffic! Once saturation is reached then we need alternatives to sustain growth (in SE England) ................ such as new runways, new airports or a bridge! Basically, it boils down to the lesser of several evils to enhance our prosperity in future years!

The question is where do you place your priorities?

Shane
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Alfie

No problem with foreigners, only with too many for us to support.

Jackie
outasite

Post by outasite »

WHL wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:02 pm I think its a Brilliant idea, and engineering wise , there are already longer bridges out there..there would be a tunnel halfway along . so not to trouble shipping...Private financing could build it, drivers using it paying a toll,....it would be a fantastic build....I cant belive some of the negative posts on here, saying immigrants might get in...Its a good job the Cyprus goverment dosnt have the same anti immigrant view, as alot of us wouldnt be here. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ridge.html
Cyprus has no trouble with immigration. Correct. What Cyprus does have trouble with is paying out anything to anyone who has made no contribution whatsoever to their system either directly or indirectly by way of EU agreements (ie Medical). And the UK would have nowhere near the problems if they had the same attitude. By all means come into our country but if you have not contributed or will not contribute and want only handouts then leave. Totally the correct attitude IMHO.