Schools` exam results

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
hamski

Schools` exam results

Post by hamski »

Hi everyone,

I`m trying to find the exam results ( O levels, A levels etc.) of the private
schools (TLC, Aspire, ISOP) for the last few years.

I can contact them direct, but I wonder if all schools` results are published somewhere
online?

Any ideas? Thank you in advance
hamski

Re: Schools` exam results

Post by hamski »

You get ranking tables of school results by type (state, independent etc.) annually in the UK;
wondered if the Cyprus govt. publishes tables of this sort, as I couldn't find anything online.

I can of course contact individually. Would be interesting to know if the privates, for the money you pay,
are much better than the best of the state schools.
WHL

Post by WHL »

hamski wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:19 pm You get ranking tables of school results by type (state, independent etc.) annually in the UK;
wondered if the Cyprus govt. publishes tables of this sort, as I couldn't find anything online.

I can of course contact individually. Would be interesting to know if the privates, for the money you pay,
are much better than the best of the state schools.
Its a long time since my kids went to school here, but I believe the private schools have better results then the public schools, just as they do in most countries, for obvious reasons.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You also need to take into account what exam system is being taught. The privates tend to use the UK one, I believe.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
hamski

Post by hamski »

I'm British.
smudger

Post by smudger »

Would question your comment 'children at private schools do not normally pay for additional lessons'
Many do Lloyd, particularly Chinese and Russian students.
Agree it's not on the same level as indigenous Cypriot schools where they are virtually compulsive, but they do happen, and it's just as lucrative - albeit to admin staff as opposed to teaching staff - for those concerned.

I have a near neighbour whose 15 year old daughter has been in Cypriot school since being 4/5 years old and rarely does extra lessons, but is not only fluent in Greek, but already deeply in preparation for 'O' and 'A' levels and looking at a future career path. I do think though that it makes a huge difference when the child has been in a local Greek school from an early age, which my neighbour's daughter has.
hamski

Post by hamski »

This was my question, actually: if there happens to be a great state school in Paphos that can deliver the goods
(academic and holistic)...but perhaps it`s wishful thinking; but certainly worth checking for a newbie like myself.
Obviously, in many countries, the privates do outperform
WHL

Post by WHL »

hamski wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:43 am This was my question, actually: if there happens to be a great state school in Paphos that can deliver the goods
(academic and holistic)...but perhaps it`s wishful thinking; but certainly worth checking for a newbie like myself.
Obviously, in many countries, the privates do outperform
Do your children speak greek, if no, then they will lose a big chunk of time, learning the language if you put them into a state school...
hamski

Post by hamski »

No, they don't.
It's good to get both sides of the coin from Smudger and WHL.
Thank you, gentlemen, and other posters who've chimed in.
WHL

Post by WHL »

hamski wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:16 pm No, they don't.
It's good to get both sides of the coin from Smudger and WHL.
Thank you, gentlemen, and other posters who've chimed in.
Can I ask the age of your children please
hamski

Post by hamski »

Sure.
We have one daughter.
I'm visiting Paphos this Nov. (schools, banks, tax etc.),
and if things pan out, we'll be looking at coming over April 2020,
by which time she'll be 3.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Well she should have no problem settling in , and learning the language, problems arise when, kids of secondary school age, enter school without knowing the language. good luck
bmwx5

Post by bmwx5 »

I along with some other parents at one of the private schools pay for additional classes for our children not because the teaching isn't to standard but feel the extra lessons on a one to one basis especially in maths are beneficial.
hamski

Post by hamski »

Thanks for the input, everyone.
Reading between the lines, it seems there is no standout state school in Paphos,
else there would have been quick unanimity