Looks Like Things Are Not Going Too Well In Turkey!

Chat with fellow forum users. No adverts or trade links in here please.
ApusApus

Looks Like Things Are Not Going Too Well In Turkey!

Post by ApusApus »

I have read a few reports lately on the problems facing Erdogan in Turkey, this one seems to sum up the situation pretty well! https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47719368

Probably, not the best situation from a Cyprus point of view?

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Looks Like Things Are Not Going Too Well In Turkey!

Post by Dominic »

Why not a good situation from the Cyprus point of view? I guess in the short term he could use Cyprus as a diversionary tactic, but if the Turkish economy tanks and Erdogan is booted out, it would be difficult to imagine that the next Turkish leader would be any worse. Who knows, they might even reconsider the path of moderation and secular government?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

I was thinking short term! Erdogan is volatile and unpredictable at the best of times, if things worsen for him then he may go further than just raising the rhetoric and Cyprus is one of his favourites for stirring nationalistic fervour?

Regarding the longer term, i.e., after the elections, as you say who knows for sure but seeing as Erdogan has crushed most of his opposition then there are probably more like him waiting in the wings!

Shane
WHL

Post by WHL »

Erdogan like many other Dictator wannabes before him will end up down the toilet of history, this despot started off by building himself a one thousand room palace, orchestrated a fake coup d'état, by sending in a couple of tanks and a few kids to block off some bridges, this in turn gave him the excuse to arrest tens of thousands of people/ journalist/ anyone who dared to disagree with him and his march towards his Ottoman empire dream, add to that he was secretly dealing with Isis, buying oil from them etc, he has turned Turkey from a progressive modern European looking country, into an Iran mk two, as for the country being in a financial mess, that comes with installing your son in law, as the finance minister, Turkey owes billions in loans, and has no way to service these debts, his biggest mistake was pissing off Israel, once he was on their radar, there's only going to be one winner.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Grow a spine!
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.