Jam Roly-Poly Pudding

The place to share recipes and ask for advice.
Happy in Cyprus

Jam Roly-Poly Pudding

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:12 am

JAM ROLY-POLY PUDDING

A classic English dessert: comfort food at it’s winter-warming best. Recipe provides 16 portions; eat what you want now, freeze the rest for later. Takes around 40 mins prep + 50 mins to cook.

Jam roly-poly is what Mum used to make when we were kids. It’s still popular though; when given a choice of jam roly-poly or Christmas pudding, 5 of the 8 people going to be around our table this Christmas Day chose jam roly-poly.

INGREDIENTS

100g salted butter, plus extra for greasing
500g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
100g shredded suet
2 tsp vanilla extract, or seeds from two vanilla pods
300 ml milk + a drop more if needed
200 gm/8 oz raspberry (or plum) jam.
Custard to serve

METHOD

Preheat the oven to 180°C + fan or 200C (no fan)/gas Mk.4. Place a deep roasting tin on the bottom shelf of the oven, making sure there’s another shelf directly above it. Pull the roasting tin out on its shelf, fill with a kettle full of boiling water, then very carefully slide the shelf back. Tear off two sheets of aluminium foil about 40 x 30cm, plus two sheets of similar size baking or greaseproof paper. Place the baking/greaseproof papers directly on the foil sheets and butter them to make them non-stick.

Tip flour, chopped-up butter, suet and vanilla extract into a bowl and mix until the butter has disappeared. You may need to do some of this mixing by hand. Continue to mix, then add the milk. Continue until you have a sticky dough. You may just need to add a dash more milk.

Tip the dough onto a floured surface. Split into two equal lumps of dough. With each lump, pat together into a smooth, oblong shape, then roll into a long, rectangular shape, dusting the dough and rolling pin frequently. Roll the pastry to about 6-8mm thickness, so the jam to pastry ratio will be high. It’s good to trim the rolled pastry into a rectangular shape with a knife, throwing the cut-offs back into the middle. Spread jam generously on the pastry, leaving a 2cm border on the two long sides and a 3-4cm border at the end nearest you.

Roll the pastry towards you from the far end. As you approach the end nearest you, make sure that jam does not ooze out; you may have to remove surplus jam with a knife or spatula. Pinch the pastry at the sides of the roll and try to seal the join at the end. Carefully lift the roll onto the greaseproof/ baking paper, join side down. Pat the sides of the roll inwards to make sure the roll fits well within the width of the paper. Create envelopes, first with the baking paper and then with the aluminium foil. Scrunch the sides and ends of the paper and foil to seal. Not too tight a fit, as the roll will expand as it bakes. Repeat with the second lump of dough. Lift the rolls directly onto a flat baking tray, then place in the oven directly above the roasting tin. Bake for 50 mins and remove from oven. Allow to cool fully before opening the foil and then the paper. Using a sharp serrated knife, slice the roll into thick portions. If freezing, place in a foil tray, separating each slice of roll with baking paper.

Serve with custard. Freezes well.

Really important things to get right:

• It’s vital to roll the pastry thin. It will roll much better and the jam to pastry ratio will be higher.
• You must roll the pastry long and narrow, not square. If the roll ends up too wide, it will not fit in the baking paper and aluminium foil envelopes.
• While the jam should be spread generously, don’t overdo it, otherwise jam will ooze out everywhere. What you see in the photo below was just about right.
• Allow the rolls to fully cool before opening the foil and baking paper envelopes, otherwise they may slump and lose shape.
• Use a sharp, serrated edge knife to cut the slices.

Last edited by Happy in Cyprus on Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Happy in Cyprus

Re: Jam Roly-Poly Pudding

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:51 pm

As I've said before, I'm an inveterate tweaker of recipes, never satisfied until the recipe is finally tweaked to perfection :lol:

The first time I made Jam Roly Poly I used Lidl Raspberry Jam, knowing full well it was thin and runny...but reasoning that this would be better than a thicker jam. Wrong! With thin jam, the jam gets squeezed out as you roll the pastry, consequently you get minimum jam between the layers. So this time I used a generous quantitity of Tesco Finest Raspberry Jam (available Alfa Mega) and also Tesco Finest Strawberry Jam. These are much thicker jams and provide for a much jammier fill :D

One further tip, when folding the greaseproof paper over on itself as you parcel up the pudding prior to popping it in the oven, it always wants to unfold itself, which is frustrating/annoying. This time I stapled the folds tight with a paper stapler and this helps the pastry keep it's round shape better. Anyway, a couple of pics of Jam Roly Poly Mk 2, which is our grandkids favourite dessert by far. Wife, who is not normally a dessert person, also loves this Jam Roly Poly.

Last edited by Happy in Cyprus on Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:31 am

Looks really yummy, Lloyd.
Have you tried making your own jam to get the right consistency? Plenty of plums around at the moment, and they are full of pectin for setting ...
I have a very quick easy recipe if you want it, Lloyd.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol:

Happy in Cyprus

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Thanks Kay, that's very kind of you, but with everything else I have going on, it's far too easy to buy a jar of quality jam than it is to make it. And that Tesco Finest Raspberry was up there with the best. Personal favourite to dollop onto plain Greek yoghurt is Bonne Maman apricot jam.

Would you believe, just a few weeks ago we gave our daughter a jam-making machine we had bought from Lakeland a few years ago and never once used. She will be advertising it on Facebook shortly.

PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:35 pm

I simply use a large saucepan, two mugs for measuring, and a long handled wooden spoon! My recipe cooks in 10-20 minutes. It actually takes far longer to chop and destone the fruit than it does to turn it into jam.
I agree with you, the Bonne Maman jams are good, but I also like the Duerr's Ginger marmalade stirred into my Greek yoghurt, homemade muesli and fresh fruit for a change.
Kay
Those who do not like cats, must have been mice in a former life! :lol: